GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray insists on...Picard

+10
Phoenix30
Sensational Spezza
Money Farmer
Sens4thecup
Cronie
rooneypoo
wprager
towelie112
beerandsens
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

46Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:40 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
My guess is we still have a few small moves to go before the start of the seasom. If Schubert plays D and Picard moves ahead of Nycholat on our depth chart, I have to think that that means Nycholat will ask for a trade and we will accommodate. It's possible that we move 1 forward at the same time too -- McAmmond? -- because it seems to me like we need to open up a spot for Bass. Could we package Nycholat and McAmmond (or another forward) for a prospect / pick? Maybe. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like that happen in the next few weeks.

How many players do we usually carry? 21 or 22?

21 at most, I think. We don't seem to be big fans of having guys sit in the press box on a regular basis. Who knows, tho', things might change this year.

47Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
My guess is we still have a few small moves to go before the start of the seasom. If Schubert plays D and Picard moves ahead of Nycholat on our depth chart, I have to think that that means Nycholat will ask for a trade and we will accommodate. It's possible that we move 1 forward at the same time too -- McAmmond? -- because it seems to me like we need to open up a spot for Bass. Could we package Nycholat and McAmmond (or another forward) for a prospect / pick? Maybe. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like that happen in the next few weeks.

How many players do we usually carry? 21 or 22?

21 at most, I think. We don't seem to be big fans of having guys sit in the press box on a regular basis. Who knows, tho', things might change this year.

There goes Bell's NHL career IMO. Winchester and Bass will probably have to alternate being in the box. Interesting times here in Sensland.

48Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:

There goes Bell's NHL career IMO. Winchester and Bass will probably have to alternate being in the box. Interesting times here in Sensland.

Oh, definitely. Before this trade, I thought Bell had at best a 10% chance of making this line up. Now with Schubert, Picard, and Nycholat in front of him, there's no way he makes the roster.

My guess: Schubert plays D this year, Nycholat gets traded, and Picard is first in line for call ups and will play for us full-time in 2009-10 if he continues to play well.

49Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've heard this was a 3-way with Chicago involved as well. Don't know what happened, but you have to assume it was Barker Murray was after. Maybe there's something brewing with us and Chicago now to round out the roster?

50Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:53 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:I've heard this was a 3-way with Chicago involved as well. Don't know what happened, but you have to assume it was Barker Murray was after. Maybe there's something brewing with us and Chicago now to round out the roster?

I am curious what was being proposed if Chicago was involved.

51Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:01 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:

Here's one theory/version of the story, if you're interested:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/the-three-team-deal-that-didnt-happen.html

I don't really buy this, to be honest, but there it is.

52Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:10 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/the-three-team-deal-that-didnt-happen.html

I'm with you; it's guess layered with speculation ...

53Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:12 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:I've heard this was a 3-way with Chicago involved as well. Don't know what happened, but you have to assume it was Barker Murray was after. Maybe there's something brewing with us and Chicago now to round out the roster?

NO KHABIBULIN Please!

54Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:43 am

TheAvatar wrote:

NO KHABIBULIN Please!

Fortunately I don't think we can afford Khabibulin anymore. Please let that rumour die.

55Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Even if we could afford Khabibulin, I'd hope we'd just pass on that scenario.

56Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 pm

rooneypoo wrote:We have waaaay too many forwards now to start thinking about having Zubov or Nikulin cracking the line up, or picking up another winger like Glenn Murray. As it is right now, in fact, unless we shed a forward (McAmmond?), it looks like Bass might not make the club:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfie
Vermette - Fisher - Winchester / Foligno
Winchester / Foligno - Kelly - Neil
Ruutu - McAmmond - Donovan

Bass

All the comments I keep hearing from Murray about Winchester suggest to me that he's going to make the team out of training camp. Jamvan (I think?) and a few other posters have said that he's pretty much penciled in to skate with Fisher this year. He's on a 1-way deal, too, and that gives him a serious advantage over Bass, Zubov, etc. Don't underestimate the role of economics in all this.

I proposed a similar package earlier in the summer and again earlier this week, so I should be for it, but I really like those lines above. That 4th line is unquestionably the best and most well-rounded in the NHL and shows how extreme our depth is.

I wonder if we could send Nycholat, McAmmond, and SJ's 1st to a team like Atlanta in exchange for their 1st and maybe a mid-level prospect?

57Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:09 pm

PKC wrote:Even if we could afford Khabibulin, I'd hope we'd just pass on that scenario.
Minus Gerber, Nycholat, and a 1M forward like McAmmond or Neil, we would definitely have the cap space to accomodate that salary.
Despite his age, I have to think Khabibulin insulated by our D-corps would take us to a whole new level.
Don't get me wrong: I'm cool with Gerber in our net and I'm more than willing to give him a shot at being the unquestioned #1, but I think the big wall still has another year or two in him. Add to that the fact that Bulin says he wants to play 60 games and I have to think he's raring to go.
I would welcome it, but I would also be skeptical and weary.
In other words: I have no idea what would be best.

58Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:36 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why do you want this 35 year old goalie with like 2 winning seasons in the last 8 years so much? Especially when he's making almost 7 million a year. Khabibulin is at the bottom of the list of goalies I'd want in Ottawa and that list includes Gerber. We should look for someone young if we are going to trade for a goalie, assuming Elliott doesn't pan out.

59Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Oh frank me, that's a nice package, I won't lie.

60Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:43 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Oh frank me, that's a nice package, I won't lie.

I don't really believe that package at all. Khabibulin is the biggest salary dump in NHL history and if anything lessens the value of players in a trade with him. I don't see how then Seabrook turns into Chris Neil, Filip Kuba, a top 6 forward and a first round pick.
He's a good young player but let's not get out of hand here with that return.

61Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:46 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
I proposed a similar package earlier in the summer and again earlier this week, so I should be for it, but I really like those lines above. That 4th line is unquestionably the best and most well-rounded in the NHL and shows how extreme our depth is.

I wonder if we could send Nycholat, McAmmond, and SJ's 1st to a team like Atlanta in exchange for their 1st and maybe a mid-level prospect?

It's a sexy idea, I grant, but I can't imagine anyone going for it. Everyone knows that this year's top-10 at the draft are supposed to be the strongest in a while, so I think 1st rounders will only be exchanged in big, big deals.

We'd have to identify what teams could use Nycholat and/or McAmmond to get a sense of what we might get in return. At best, tho', I'd expect mid- to low-level draft picks. McAmmond is useful and cheap, but his concussion problems will scare people. Nycholat had a great season in the AHL last year, but as of right now he's spent most of his life in the minors. I can't imagine that we're going to pick up anything too remarkable for either, or for both of them packaged together.

62Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:47 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Why do you want this 35 year old goalie with like 2 winning seasons in the last 8 years so much? Especially when he's making almost 7 million a year. Khabibulin is at the bottom of the list of goalies I'd want in Ottawa and that list includes Gerber. We should look for someone young if we are going to trade for a goalie, assuming Elliott doesn't pan out.

Agreed totally on this one.

Can you say "Lehtonen," people? :D

63Murray insists on...Picard - Page 4 Empty Re: Murray insists on...Picard Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:

We'd have to include our first as well AND a blue-chip prospect or very good roster player in return to get even close to landing Atlanta's 1st which is almost guaranteed to be a top 5 pick, if not first overall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum