GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+6
Lagoon
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 22 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Check your PM’s, I sent you an extremely comprehensive draft list followed by various NHL execs opinion of it.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-guide/

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Check your PM’s, I sent you an extremely comprehensive draft list followed by various NHL execs opinion of it.

Cool!
Thanks

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lagoon wrote:Check your PM’s, I sent you an extremely comprehensive draft list followed by various NHL execs opinion of it.

Send it my way too!

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ok.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Noticed the embedded videos, pictures, charts and links didn’t format well in your DM’s but there is still enough words in there to make you happy.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

If we are looking for value, Braden Schneider with one of our 2nds would be absolutely amazing. He could conceivably rise quickly into the 1st round though.

I’m still very upset about our 2nd round last year. Thomson wasn’t the greatest either though. This year, please stay on the board because we know you’ve barely seen any of these guys live.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm not uspet about our 2nd. I am super high on Pinto after the season he had. He's a top 4-5 prospect for me in our system.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

That’s not the point. Yes, Pinto had a great season, but his upside, development, value isn’t anywhere near players that were both ranked earlier and still available when Pinto was picked. Pinto could’ve been had much later. If he was the Sens target and he obviously was, teams presumably would have paid to move up and pick from the board with the Sens spot at 32.

Robertson - completely dominated his league. His status as a prospect was miles ahead of Pinto and still is. Kaliyev and Hoglander. Those three right there are enough.

Kaliyev and Robertson had the largest growth. They had much better looking dys too. Gimme Brink if not a name already mentioned. This isn’t hindsight either.

Rees, Korczak and Johansson had nice development as well.

Brink, Lavoie, Puistola, Grewe they are all Pinto’s equal too.

Last edited by Lagoon on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:That’s not the point. Yes, Pinto had a great season, but his upside, development, value isn’t anywhere near players that were both ranked earlier and still available when Pinto was picked. Pinto could’ve been had much later. If he was the Sens target and he obviously was, teams presumably would have paid to move up and pick from the board with the Sens spot at 32.

Robertson - completely dominated his league. His status as a prospect was miles ahead of Pinto and still is. Kaliyev and Hoglander. Those three right there are enough.

Kaliyev and Robertson had the largest growth. They had much better looking dys too.

Rees, Korczak and Johansson had nice development as well.

Brink, Lavoie, Brink, Puistola, Grewe they are all Pinto’s equal too.

I don't think all those players had the same kind of growth, and his development is more impressive because of his late arrival to legit competitive hockey. Agree to disagree, though. Pinto's growth is more impressive than Kalyiev's IMO - Kalyiev didn't score much higher than he did in his draft year (same goal pace too). Robertson looks good but it would be a stretch to say he's miles ahead of Pinto They looked about equal to me at the WJC. Pinto was their most relied upon player. Robertson is flashier. I would have liked if they picked him though, no question. Kalyiev not so much.

IMO teams usually know very well what teams are interested in certain players. If they traded down more than a couple spots, I doubt they get Pinto. Also, to me, the term "board" in "off the board" is fictional in hockey. Every team has much different rankings than every other team and this isn't like other sports like football and basketball where you can pretty much always know who's going where due to their ages and development. To me a pick is only good or bad years after it happens.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The NCAA and OHL are two completely different beasts. Hard to compare the leagues with the NCAA being a more competitive, lower scoring league with older players. I think they're pretty equal - maybe a slight production edge to Robertson, but Pinto is almost a half-foot taller and was on the #3 scorer on the #1 team in the country (behind a 21 and 22 year old)

Not taking anything away from either of them but the Sens got a big center versus the Leafs getting a small winger.

I also saw a ratio online that compares OHL and NCAA production to the NHL.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I have no knowledge of the inner-workings on if they tried to move down and still take Pinto. If they tried to move down and couldn’t, I’m fine with it. I just can’t imagine a scenario where at 32 and a host of names I previously mentioned on the board, they couldn’t. That’s all I’m saying. I wouldn’t have taken Pinto at 32. Not a big deal.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The NCAA and OHL are two completely different beasts. Hard to compare the leagues with the NCAA being a more competitive, lower scoring league with older players. I think they're pretty equal - maybe a slight production edge to Robertson, but Pinto is almost a half-foot taller and was on the #3 scorer on the #1 team in the country (behind a 21 and 22 year old)

Not taking anything away from either of them but the Sens got a big center versus the Leafs getting a small winger.

I’m aware of all that. I’m complaining about the fact that at #32, the Sens chose to take a safe NHLer that they could have had much later instead of swinging for much higher upside. In that spot and with our prospect pool, we have the depth so we should be swinging in Round 2.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I’m just bored so just creating discussion based on my hatred of Sens management.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

there are mixed feelings on whether Hendrix's 3 concussions this year might actually move him out of the 1st round. especially as it turns out it was not all concussions but a neck issue. which is also problematic but still. I'm hoping if he does slide-out(doubtful) the sens use their first 2nd rounder to draft him.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I don’t think I live in a world where an NHL GM will waste a 1st on Lapierre. The 2nd round is made for where you can gamble on his upside. One NHL exec hilariously stated that he’s got more concussions than goals.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I don’t think I live in a world where an NHL GM will waste a 1st on Lapierre. The 2nd round is made for where you can gamble on his upside. One NHL exec hilariously stated that he’s got more concussions than goals.

would have to find the article but I remember reading that a lot of his problems were neck issues and not concussions as first thought.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The NCAA and OHL are two completely different beasts. Hard to compare the leagues with the NCAA being a more competitive, lower scoring league with older players. I think they're pretty equal - maybe a slight production edge to Robertson, but Pinto is almost a half-foot taller and was on the #3 scorer on the #1 team in the country (behind a 21 and 22 year old)

I’m aware of all that. I’m complaining about the fact that at #32, the Sens chose to take a safe NHLer that they could have had much later instead of swinging for much higher upside. In that spot and with our prospect pool, we have the depth so we should be swinging in Round 2.

It can't both be "off the board" and "safe pick" at the same time. To me it wasn't safe at all. They were gambling that his development would shoot up fast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 22 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 44 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum