GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospecting Prospect - End of Season 18/19

+6
Lagoon
PTFlea
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 45 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

I don’t think I live in a world where an NHL GM will waste a 1st on Lapierre. The 2nd round is made for where you can gamble on his upside. One NHL exec hilariously stated that he’s got more concussions than goals.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:I don’t think I live in a world where an NHL GM will waste a 1st on Lapierre. The 2nd round is made for where you can gamble on his upside. One NHL exec hilariously stated that he’s got more concussions than goals.

would have to find the article but I remember reading that a lot of his problems were neck issues and not concussions as first thought.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The NCAA and OHL are two completely different beasts. Hard to compare the leagues with the NCAA being a more competitive, lower scoring league with older players. I think they're pretty equal - maybe a slight production edge to Robertson, but Pinto is almost a half-foot taller and was on the #3 scorer on the #1 team in the country (behind a 21 and 22 year old)

Not taking anything away from either of them but the Sens got a big center versus the Leafs getting a small winger.

I also saw a ratio online that compares OHL and NCAA production to the NHL.

I’m aware of all that. I’m complaining about the fact that at #32, the Sens chose to take a safe NHLer that they could have had much later instead of swinging for much higher upside. In that spot and with our prospect pool, we have the depth so we should be swinging in Round 2.

It can't both be "off the board" and "safe pick" at the same time. To me it wasn't safe at all. They were gambling that his development would shoot up fast.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:I don’t think I live in a world where an NHL GM will waste a 1st on Lapierre. The 2nd round is made for where you can gamble on his upside. One NHL exec hilariously stated that he’s got more concussions than goals.

would have to find the article but I remember reading that a lot of his problems were neck issues and not concussions as first thought.

Doesn’t matter to me or NHL teams in my opinion. They won’t gamble with a 1st when the pool is so deep this year. Won’t happen in my world.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The NCAA and OHL are two completely different beasts. Hard to compare the leagues with the NCAA being a more competitive, lower scoring league with older players. I think they're pretty equal - maybe a slight production edge to Robertson, but Pinto is almost a half-foot taller and was on the #3 scorer on the #1 team in the country (behind a 21 and 22 year old)

Not taking anything away from either of them but the Sens got a big center versus the Leafs getting a small winger.

I also saw a ratio online that compares OHL and NCAA production to the NHL.

I’m aware of all that. I’m complaining about the fact that at #32, the Sens chose to take a safe NHLer that they could have had much later instead of swinging for much higher upside. In that spot and with our prospect pool, we have the depth so we should be swinging in Round 2.

It can't both be "off the board" and "safe pick" at the same time. To me it wasn't safe at all. They were gambling that his development would shoot up fast.

I think it can. Either way, getting an NHLer in the 2nd round is a good pick, but they could have swung and should have with the amount of safe prospects we already have. Go for the homerun in Round 2. There were plenty of softballs floating high in the strike zone still.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Kaliyev slipped quite a bit and was never supposed to make it into the 2nd and Robertson was the 53rd pick. Fagemo went two picks before him and was a much better player at the WJHC and put up good numbers in Frolunda. I'm more surprised they took Sogaard than Pinto to be honest

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Fagemo had a great D+1 and lots of teams are now kicking themselves about Robertson for sure.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

The point I'm making is you can't crucify dorion for taking Pinto when 30 other teams passed up on Robertson. It wasn't necessarily a safe pick but Pinto projects to be a top nine forward , probably a top-six, which is what you want out of a 2nd Rd pick

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Yes I can.

Kaliyev, Robertson, Brink, Hoglander were still the pick and if not, trade down and still get Pinto. But like I said, no way to know if he tried that or not.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Look at the last few drafts. There are booms and busts everywhere . It is what it is...

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Norris, brown, formenton, brannstrom, wolanin, Gustavsson, daccord, JBD, Thomson, batherson, jaros, balcers, chlapik, gruden, abramov, Sogaard, 3 2020 1st Rd picks, 4 2020 second Rd picks. We will be fine without Robertson

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

I’m not circling back. No need to go around in circles. Agree to disagree. I have nothing against Pinto. He’s progressing very well.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Pinto fits into what the org usually drafts these days anyways. so it's no surprise. Big NA player with good character (or no doubts about their character at least). it's not surprising that the sens passed on Thompson or Kaliyev.
the sens have started shying away a little bit from the swedes I noticed after Wilkstand.
They'll trade for any player that's already playing in NA but drafting seems to be another thing.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Wouldn’t it be nice to draft the BPA instead.

The good thing is, Dorion has mentioned they will finally do that in this draft. Here’s to hoping.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Drysdale here we come

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Brad Lambert is leaving HIFK. Hopefully he’s on his way to the CHL, but it might just be to a different Finnish team that has promised more ice time.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Drysdale here we come

If one of our picks drops to 5 or 6 and Raymond and Rossi are gone, I’m in.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lagoon wrote:Wouldn’t it be nice to draft the BPA instead.

The good thing is, Dorion has mentioned they will finally do that in this draft. Here’s to hoping.

they say that every year. but you cannot disagree with a list that you never get to see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 45 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum