GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 49 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.
There isn’t much to be done right now s8nce I believe we will create a hole to fill one.
The only guys I feel that are expandable are the ones underperforming to a ridiculous level like burrows and oduya and we aren’t getting anything for them. Smith is about the only player with some value but to upgrade on him you’d have to add one or two pieces and there isn’t many teams sell8ng right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one  is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.
There isn’t much to be done right now s8nce I believe we will create a hole to fill one.
The only guys I feel that are expandable are the ones underperforming to a ridiculous level like burrows and oduya and we aren’t getting anything for them. Smith is about the only player with some value but to upgrade on him you’d have to add one or two pieces and there isn’t many teams sell8ng right now.

This is why I had proposed that trade a few weeks back for Scandella and Kane. I know must people don't want Kane because of his attitude, and I get that, but I think the Sens are missing attitude and don't have an identity. At worst Kane is on the team for the rest of the year until he's a free agent or better yet he gets re-traded at the deadline. It would also be a salary dumping move. Scandella would come in and provide a LHD partner for Karlsson. He's signed longer term at the rate that Ceci would likely get in his next contract. I believe I had proposed Ceci+Smith+Paul for Kane+Scandella with Ottawa being able to dump some long-term salary commitments while not feeling any short-term effects.

You can do something similar with Edmonton. If they do want Hoffman then they should try to include Phaneuf as a salary dump. I'd target Klefbom or Nurse but the Sens top-six will take a huge hit.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one  is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.

This is why I had proposed that trade a few weeks back for Scandella and Kane. I know must people don't want Kane because of his attitude, and I get that, but I think the Sens are missing attitude and don't have an identity. At worst Kane is on the team for the rest of the year until he's a free agent or better yet he gets re-traded at the deadline. It would also be a salary dumping move. Scandella would come in and provide a LHD partner for Karlsson. He's signed longer term at the rate that Ceci would likely get in his next contract. I believe I had proposed Ceci+Smith+Paul for Kane+Scandella with Ottawa being able to dump some long-term salary commitments while not feeling any short-term effects.

You can do something similar with Edmonton. If they do want Hoffman then they should try to include Phaneuf as a salary dump. I'd target Klefbom or Nurse but the Sens top-six will take a huge hit.

Mmmhhhh im not sure Edmonton would do that deal. One of their main problems is they are slow. I’m not sure Phaneuf would be in their cards but I get what you’re saying. 

I think buffalo wants a lot for Kane. Like a first and a real good prospect. The same could be said about Scandella. We’d likely have to add a pick to that trade, and we have very little of those left.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Wow. Melnyk is a Cussing idiot. Talking about maybe one day relocating the team? does he not realize he’s pissing off the fan base away from him?

I can’t believe he doesn’t see he’s a big part of the problem.
Not willing to support a team?
It’s not let the fans support the team then he’ll put the money in. Hockey ownership is for big spending millionaires, if he can’t handle the financial headaches and demands of hockey ownership then get the Diddle out of the race. Idiot twat.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

What an idiot.  Bettman has been adamant about not allowing relocation especially when there is local groups willing to buy.  It's crap like this that will drive EK out of town.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:What an idiot.  Bettman has been adamant about not allowing relocation especially when there is local groups willing to buy.  It's crap like this that will drive EK out of town.
Exactly. It’s pretty apparent the players despise Melnyk, the fans despise Melnyk and you wonder if management feels about him. He’s a basket case. Way to pick his timing. « Hey Ottawa here’s a beautiful outdoor game for you but let’s talk about relocation for a minute because you’re acting like a bunch of underserving little... »

He wonders why people don’t want to support him.

Seriously, why did people donate an organ to this guy? We would have been better off had he expired. I hate this guy. He ruins the team for me.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

To be fair the team wouldn't be here without him.  Things have changed since then with interest in buying the team.  Two choices Euge, either lose money or sell.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:To be fair the team wouldn't be here without him.  Things have changed since then with interest in buying the team.  Two choices Euge, either lose money or sell.

Who cares. Yes he saved the team but that doesn’t entitle him to eternal gratitude and loyalty.
Let’s get this straight, he bought the team because he felt he could make money out of it. Not to be a savoir.

It’s time to make the voices of fans to be heard.
I think we as fans should start a campaign to voice our displeasure at the very least.

I think we should use the hashtag #selltheteam.
It won’t alone force Eugene to sell the team but it could galvanise the fans to have their voices heard and also might enrage Melnyk enough and get the point across that he’s no longer welcome.

Im not sure how long i can handle this man destroy the hard work management has done and destroy the legacy of a second legend in Ottawa as he chases kalrsson out of town.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

What could go wrong in that scenario.  Revolt against the owner. #stubborn #vindictive #Trump

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:What could go wrong in that scenario.  Revolt against the owner. #stubborn #vindictive #Trump

He’s not utterly stupid. He’s going to try and maximize the value. If he can’t do that long term he will short term.

I can’t believe he hasn’t at least tried to hire an external consultant firm to figure out that’s hes the problem.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why does everyone care so much about what he says? I don't think players like Karlsson give a rats Donkey about the owner, so long as they get paid. Alfie could have got paid and finished his career here if only he treated Melnyk properly - and by that I mean completely ignored him.

As far as I am concerned the team owner is *not* the boss of the players. Not when the players have 50% of *revenue*! It's not a partnership but it's very little like an employee situation, either.

They just have to listen to the coach and a little to the GM, but they would do well to ignore Melnyk. And the same goes for us.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The players are acutely aware of the situation. I was told by Cecis father that the general feeling is Melnyk is not committed to spending what he needs to in order to ice a winner. Right or wrong that's from a players father and from a recently retired former Sen who I won't name. I hadn't realized that the 3nd rounder sent with ZBad to the Rangers was in exchange for NY paying a 4M bonus.  The transaction had no cap impact, it was simply selling a high pick for cash.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Of course the players care! They want to win! If the owner isn’t dedicated to committing the necessary cash to producing a winner than they might just leave a sinking ship. 
And let me make it clear , this ship is sinking with Melnyk at the helm. That idiot is playing bumper cars with icebergs

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A third is not a high pick, give me a break. Only 30% if 3rd round picks end up playing 50 or more games in the NHL. If you're talking about good *players*, that percentage drops a lot further.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

It was a 2nd not 3rd.  Point is 68M is nowhere near what he could/should be spending.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Senators are less than $3M under the cap ceiling. Granted, 80% of MacArthur's salary is paid by the insurance company and they are not using LTIR relief to go over the cap, but still. This is not a cap floor team by any stretch.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Melnyk clearly stated he is paying 68M in payroll.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They have a couple bad contracts (Phaneuf and Ryan). One was taken on because Melnyk drove Alfie out, the other to cover up multiple mistakes by Murray (Cowen, Michalek, Green - all bad contracts).

Unfortunately it looks like Dorion is continuing on that fine tradition giving out extensions to Burrows, giving a one way to McCormick, signing Oduya, then letting Boucher top up all his bonuses. The Oduya signing wasn't bad, but he hasn't earned the ice time he is getting. I am still at a loss to explain the Dumont signing. Would much rather see White get that ice time. Or even McCormick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 49 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum