GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The Senators are less than $3M under the cap ceiling. Granted, 80% of MacArthur's salary is paid by the insurance company and they are not using LTIR relief to go over the cap, but still. This is not a cap floor team by any stretch.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

Melnyk clearly stated he is paying 68M in payroll.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

They have a couple bad contracts (Phaneuf and Ryan). One was taken on because Melnyk drove Alfie out, the other to cover up multiple mistakes by Murray (Cowen, Michalek, Green - all bad contracts).

Unfortunately it looks like Dorion is continuing on that fine tradition giving out extensions to Burrows, giving a one way to McCormick, signing Oduya, then letting Boucher top up all his bonuses. The Oduya signing wasn't bad, but he hasn't earned the ice time he is getting. I am still at a loss to explain the Dumont signing. Would much rather see White get that ice time. Or even McCormick.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:They have a couple bad contracts (Phaneuf and Ryan).  One was taken on because Melnyk drove Alfie out, the other to cover up multiple mistakes by Murray (Cowen, Michalek, Green - all bad contracts).  

Unfortunately it looks like Dorion is continuing on that fine tradition giving out extensions to Burrows, giving a one way to McCormick, signing Oduya, then letting Boucher top up all his bonuses. The Oduya signing wasn't bad, but he hasn't earned the ice time he is getting.  I am still at a loss to explain the Dumont signing. Would much rather see White get that ice time. Or even McCormick.

Dumont wasn’t a signing and to me he has been good in his role

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

White is getting ice time in Belleville he wouldn't be getting here.  Dumint is at the minimum this year and on a two way next year.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The sens do spend just fine in my opinion. They do have some bad contracts but if Melnyk was so cash strapped he simply wouldn’t have signed Ryan to the deal he did

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:The sens do spend just fine in my opinion. They do have some bad contracts but if Melnyk was so cash strapped he simply wouldn’t have signed Ryan to the deal he did

Yeah, he's been spending OK on players while trying to cut corners everywhere else. Hopefully he's out of here sooner rather than later.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't really care what Dumont is making (and, yes, he was signed, he is under contract, not sure what distinction you were trying to make).

I would much rather we spent time developing our top-six prospects ins ittead of someone else's bottom-six ones.

Look at Boston. They are playing McAvoy and other youngsters. Chabot and White outplayed these guys two years ago! Are you telling me White couldn't do the job Dumont is doing, except better, while getting the experience he'll need when he is asked to contribute in the top six? Dumont is not a replacement for CMac and never will be, while White may well have been ready this year and certainly would have been next year if he had a full season under his belt.

It's not like the team was winning because we all know that trumps everything else.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I don't really care what Dumont is making (and, yes, he was signed, he is under contract, not sure what distinction you were trying to make).

I would much rather we spent time developing our top-six prospects ins ittead of someone else's bottom-six ones.

Look at Boston. They are playing McAvoy and other youngsters. Chabot and White outplayed these guys two years ago!  Are you telling me White couldn't do the job Dumont is doing, except better, while getting the experience he'll need when he is asked to contribute in the top six?  Dumont is not a replacement for CMac and never will be, while White may well have been ready this year and certainly would have been next year if he had a full season under his belt.

It's not like the team was winning because we all know that trumps everything else.

I think Ev is referring to the fact that Dumont was a waiver pick up.

I’m divided about white. He may be better suited getting big minutes in Belleville.
Besides I’m not sure this mess in Ottawa is the greatest atmosphere. 
Maybe they do plan on eventually bringing him up but get him on less than 40 games so they delay his years until he gets to UFA? Or does that even matter between the AHL and NHL? Or is it just Juniors and NHL?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe it wouldn't be such a mess if they let the kids play. White had been playing against me the last few years. He's ready physically. It's only a matter of developing his speed and skill, and you can't develop NHL speed in the AHL.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Besides, it's just as much of a mess down in Belleville.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Maybe it wouldn't be such a mess if they let the kids play. White had been playing against me the last few years. He's ready physically.  It's only a matter of developing his speed and skill, and you can't develop NHL speed in the AHL.

white was not playing men. He was in college.

id rather him get top minutes than be on a fourth line.

IMO sens are back, this is the turning point of the season

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The age difference between college and CHL is what I'm talking about. In CHL you are allowed 3 overagers. In NCAA the whole team is made up of overagers.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Maybe it wouldn't be such a mess if they let the kids play. White had been playing against me the last few years. He's ready physically.  It's only a matter of developing his speed and skill, and you can't develop NHL speed in the AHL.

white was not playing men. He was  in college.

Yeah because beating montreal and the rags is “being back” Laughing3

Let’s get some wins against actual contenders.

Although I’m quite happy seeing Ryan score.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

white was not playing men. He was  in college.

Yeah because beating montreal and the rags is “being back” Laughing3

Let’s get some wins against actual contenders.

Although I’m quite happy seeing Ryan score.

Rangers are a very good team

Every team in the nhl is good. We played very well the last two games and are trending towards a streak. Five points in the last four games

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Rangers have been hot. Make no mistake -- that was a *very* surprising win. They've been playing awful, just lost to one of the only two teams left below them in the standings, coming home from a 2-week road trip, and playing the second of back-to-back nights. And the Rangers were ticked off after losing to Dallas.

The last time they had an unexpected win was the Islanders game, and they followed that up with one of their worst outings against the Jets. But this time they followed up with a convincing win over Montreal. I don't want to get my hope up, but that may very well signal a turnaround.

Long *long* way to go, still. No-one is catching the Lightning and unless Matthews is gone for the rest of the season the Leafs will start winning again. Boston is playing really well. If they don't get top-three in the Division then the Islanders are 10 points ahead but we've got 2 games in hand. 6 teams to pass, though. Ouch.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

IMO no point in really looking at the standings with 50 games left

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The bottom line is we're not out of it, but the wins have to start flowing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum