GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 58 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Ha...no one made a GDT thread for last night.  I guess, like me, no one cares about individual games anymore.  This season's OVER.  The team has totally tuned out Boucher.  The lack of effort from most the players is very telling.  

It was nice to see Matrix have a great game last night.  

We should trade him to Arizona Wink

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

They didn't just barely make it last year. Many teams don't officially clinch until the last couple games. Keep in mind the injuries (CMac, for one) and their #1 goalie being away for half the games. And they were not always outshot, their shots-against and goals-against went dramatically down from the previous season.

This season they are at or near the bottom of the league in goals for, goals against, shots against (shots for is so-so), PK, PP, SV%. They are missing Boro and Wideman. They are missing a rallying point -- no Nicholle to unite them. Karlsson has not only been affected by his off-season surgery, he's also played with very little desire in too many games. Last night, OT, was a perfect example. Pageau won the draw but the puck was a little slow getting to Karl. Instead of jumping in and grabbing the puck he stayed back waiting for it to get to him, lazily stretching his stick to it. Pageau *WON* that draw FFS!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am still in disbelief that a lot of people didn't see the writing on the wall for the Sens this year. When is the last time we actually saw the Sens dominate a game? Even last year there were concerns about the team consistently being outshot and outplayed. The only thing saving Boucher right now is the fact that "they were one goal away from going to the cup finals".

Oh come on, even people who didn't think they were a great team didn't think they would be a bottom team.

The only thing saving Boucher? Yeah I guess that means nothing. I guess it means nothing to almost win three playoff rounds after a good regular season in your first year.

Decent regular season in his first year. Don't be fooled by the number of games stolen by Sens goalies last year. And they didn't clinch a playoff spot until the 2nd last game. They would never have made it past a healthy Bruins team.

I don't think anyone thought they'd be this bad but to see them miss the playoffs was certainly a possibility.

And here's another nugget of info that will likely piss everyone in this forum off: https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-senators-and-oilers-worked-on-hall-for-ceci-trade/

Doesn't piss me off, because I know that was never a realistic trade.
I buy this as a 1 for 1 deal, but it still doesn't piss me off.  I find Hall a very one dimensional winger.  The Sens wouldn't have won the trade, but it would have addressed what was really and still is really needed.

It would have addressed their top-six forward depth which they ending up addressing by bringing in Burrows (who is barely a 4th liner at this point). It also means we would still have Dahlen and wouldn't have Burrows and they could have protected Methot as the 3rd D in expansion. Could have left Smith unprotected in place of Hall.

Zero foresight within the Sens organization.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I wish people would stop assuming Methot would be helpful. He is fully broken down and would still be on the books for 4.9M next year. He will never play more than 50 games in a season again.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lol love how the tide turns after one bad year

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am still in disbelief that a lot of people didn't see the writing on the wall for the Sens this year. When is the last time we actually saw the Sens dominate a game? Even last year there were concerns about the team consistently being outshot and outplayed. The only thing saving Boucher right now is the fact that "they were one goal away from going to the cup finals".

Oh come on, even people who didn't think they were a great team didn't think they would be a bottom team.

The only thing saving Boucher? Yeah I guess that means nothing. I guess it means nothing to almost win three playoff rounds after a good regular season in your first year.

Decent regular season in his first year. Don't be fooled by the number of games stolen by Sens goalies last year. And they didn't clinch a playoff spot until the 2nd last game. They would never have made it past a healthy Bruins team.

I don't think anyone thought they'd be this bad but to see them miss the playoffs was certainly a possibility.

And here's another nugget of info that will likely piss everyone in this forum off: https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-senators-and-oilers-worked-on-hall-for-ceci-trade/

Doesn't piss me off, because I know that was never a realistic trade.
I buy this as a 1 for 1 deal, but it still doesn't piss me off.  I find Hall a very one dimensional winger.  The Sens wouldn't have won the trade, but it would have addressed what was really and still is really needed.

It would have addressed their top-six forward depth which they ending up addressing by bringing in Burrows (who is barely a 4th liner at this point). It also means we would still have Dahlen and wouldn't have Burrows and they could have protected Methot as the 3rd D in expansion. Could have left Smith unprotected in place of Hall.

Zero foresight within the Sens organization.  

That might have made a huge difference last year and we might have beaten Pittsburgh.

Lots of ifs and buts but we would have won that deal hands down.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:lol love how the tide turns after one bad year

I don’t think it’s just one bad year. It’s what might happen because of that bad year. There’s a lot on the line right now.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Im actually encouraged a bit by the fact Dorion turned down à picks/prospects deal for Hoffman. He’s likely trying to get his hands on a young forward or a top top prospect and won’t take a quantity package.

I feel like he might be after Fabbri out of St-louis.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Fabbri has been hurt for about a year and the Blues have no cap space.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stl does have cap space and several UFAs next year (including Stastny at $7M per). There is room to add Hoffman for sure.

Now the problem like Oglethorpe said is that Fabbri has been hurt all year (RFA at the end of this year) and missed 10 games last year where he had less than 30 points. It would have to be Fabbri+ IMO

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Im actually encouraged a bit by the fact Dorion turned down à picks/prospects deal for Hoffman. He’s likely trying to get his hands on a young forward or a top top prospect and won’t take a quantity package.

As mentioned, Fabbri is out for the year because of a recurring knee injury. Dorion would be out of his Cussing mind to make a trade for a guy with severe knee issues at the age of 21.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:lol love how the tide turns after one bad year

I don’t think it’s just one bad year. It’s what might happen because of that bad year. There’s a lot on the line right now.

There is a lot on the line. And it's not one bad year - it's the culmination of questionable decisions over the past few years that have come to fruition and could handicap the team for many more years. The Phaneuf trade sucks, the Ryan signing isn't panning out, Burrows should have never been extended (was a condition of his trade to Ottawa), Oduya sucks, the Sens don't have a #2 d-man, and everyone thought the rumored Duchene trade was not going to include Turris going the other way. Had Ottawa acquired Duchene without giving up Turris and found a way to keep them both then the Sens would have been contenders for a long time. But the Ryan/Phaneuf contracts are handicapping this team. I bet Turris would have been re-signed had Ottawa found a way to move Phaneuf in the off-season. But at the time of the trade Melnyk wanted to clear Greening, Cowen and Michalek off the books to clear short-term losses but is now dealing with a longer-term problem. Again, no foresight.

Now, all of these problems may go away if/when Melnyk sells the team and there is an infusion of money and resources (ie: more scouts, coaches, support staff, etc). Ottawa isn't the worst place in the world to live. But playing for a dreadful owner I am sure has taken its toll on the players of this team. Alfie leaving (again) should have signalled a downfall.

I for one wouldn't rush to trade Hoffman. We have no one in the system who can replace him. Maybe Gabriel Gagne (same type of release). But players like Smith, Ceci, Oduya, Phaneuf, Pyatt, and I'd even argue Pageau are more easily replaceable whether internal or depth signing.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Im actually encouraged a bit by the fact Dorion turned down à picks/prospects deal for Hoffman. He’s likely trying to get his hands on a young forward or a top top prospect and won’t take a quantity package.

As mentioned, Fabbri is out for the year because of a recurring knee injury.  Dorion would be out of his Cussing mind to make a trade for a guy with severe knee issues at the age of 21.

that's a good buy low opportunity. These days, players come back from knee injuries just fine

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

There’s questions about this one.  Not a simple ligament tear.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, imagine ceci for hall. Damn

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Not a Hall fan.  Need a centre to move Duch to LW

Flo The Action

Flo The Action