GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 48 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Ev wrote:Diddle Turris, everything going right for him here and he puts his foot in the sand.

I don't understand his stance.  He Cussed up something that was SO right for him here.  What a shame for him IMO.  Nashville will be great, but he had it all here.  One of the captains, fans loved him, trusted by the coach, great icetime, good linemates.

What the Diddle was he thinking?  All about the $$ this time and for the sake of a million or two he really tarnished something nice he had here.

You can't assume that Turris is at fault here.  Maybe the Sens brass didn't see him in the long-term plans, low-balled him knowing he'd refuse, and then use that as the public rationale to trade him.  

I heard both Booboo and someone else (Dreger?) mention how Overhardt was a hard man to negotiate with. Pretty sure if they were offering 5 that a compromise could be reached at 6, but if the guy is going to play hardball and keep insisting on 7, and likely asking for a higher salary to offset the tax situation and the losses (versus market) on the previous contract, then you just can't make a deal.

Remember, Alfie got less from Detroit than he would have received from Ottawa. He was never going to get a "top-up" to his previous contract and ended up tarnishing his legacy and uprooting his family for zero gain.

When players sign a contract they get paid regardless of if they are overperforming or underperforming. Will Ryan offer a sub-market deal when his contract expires to make up for being paid a few million above his production? From the organization's standpoint they win on some contracts and lose on others. If you top-up players who were underpaid then they will lose on all contracts.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still have to listen to the presser. Sounds like there was some resentment between turris and the org. Maybe turris felt like he was entitled a better deal since he’d been on an extremely good deal for the past few years but that’s not how it works.

Can’t wait to see what duchene brings. I’ll give him a month to start wowing us though get used to his line mates and the system. But look8ng at linemates... smith and Hoffman on his off side... we have to get another LW top 6. It’s so freaking obvious.

Wouldn’t hurt to get white up here soon so he can get some NHL experience before the playoffs come around.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I still feel like this makes us a little more than marginally better. His high faceoff % is great and I’m sure there’s some Boucher recommendation for getting him. I think Boucher had probably targeted Duchene before even getting brass as a C they wanted. So it will be interesting to see what he can do.

It’s exciting for sure! But I still see a need for us to acquire a more than decent top 6 forward. But agai, maybe that ends up being a rental for a lower price as I’m sure Dorion hopes white can be that guy sooner rather than later.

The thing about Duchene is his speed and puck control.  Ev said dynamic and that's probably about right.  I think Ottawa could have made it work with Turris, paid him etc., but clearly they felt the money will be better spend on Duchene.  

He'll make SO much room for his wingers with his puck control and skill.  It'll be neat to watch.

For me, this has to be phase one.  We need a Zucarello type winger now - or Neal.  If we can come to an agreement with Neal, I'd offer White or Ceci, same with Zuc.  Get Chabot in there, let him take his lumps and move forward.

EDIT: I think Ceci is gone anyway, so might as well rip the bandaid off now, but...if you can give up White for Zuc straight up, you lose no one off your current roster, holy crap...you're looking good.   Maybe at the deadline you get a D-man as insurance and shoot Oduya to the moon, not sure.

I’d like to have a look at white for a while before we think of trading him. He might be exactly what we need Ina very short order.

I could see Ceci qetting traded but I want a solid formulation of how he gets replaced. I’m not sold on just sliding Wideman or just playing Chabot on his off side. I don’t think Jaros is there heat either. Ceci could be gone 8n the off season. This season, I’m not sure.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Just for fund here is a quick and dirty post tax breakdown of 6M in Nashville vs Ottawa

Nashville after tax - $3,543,577.00
Ottawa after tax - $2,824,390.00

When doing the calculations an equivalent post tax take home from the Sens would be 6 x 7.5M

Who is up for that ?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I still feel like this makes us a little more than marginally better. His high faceoff % is great and I’m sure there’s some Boucher recommendation for getting him. I think Boucher had probably targeted Duchene before even getting brass as a C they wanted. So it will be interesting to see what he can do.

It’s exciting for sure! But I still see a need for us to acquire a more than decent top 6 forward. But agai, maybe that ends up being a rental for a lower price as I’m sure Dorion hopes white can be that guy sooner rather than later.

The thing about Duchene is his speed and puck control.  Ev said dynamic and that's probably about right.  I think Ottawa could have made it work with Turris, paid him etc., but clearly they felt the money will be better spend on Duchene.  

He'll make SO much room for his wingers with his puck control and skill.  It'll be neat to watch.

For me, this has to be phase one.  We need a Zucarello type winger now - or Neal.  If we can come to an agreement with Neal, I'd offer White or Ceci, same with Zuc.  Get Chabot in there, let him take his lumps and move forward.

EDIT: I think Ceci is gone anyway, so might as well rip the bandaid off now, but...if you can give up White for Zuc straight up, you lose no one off your current roster, holy crap...you're looking good.   Maybe at the deadline you get a D-man as insurance and shoot Oduya to the moon, not sure.

I’d like to have a look at white for a while before we think of trading him. He might be exactly what we need Ina very short order.

I could see Ceci qetting traded but I want a solid formulation of how he gets replaced. I’m not sold on just sliding Wideman or just playing Chabot on his off side. I don’t think Jaros is there heat either. Ceci could be gone 8n the off season. This season, I’m not sure.

I have nothing against Ceci, but I feel as if he could be replaced by Jaros or Chabot or a combination. Let Chabot go! Set him free!

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I have nothing against Ceci, but I feel as if he could be replaced by Jaros or Chabot or a combination.  Let Chabot go!  Set him free!

We're headed for cap trouble, next year or the year after, unless we shed some salaries is all I can say. Stone and Ceci up this year, Karlsson and Duchene after that. The cap might come close to $80 mil by then, granted, but you have to think it's gonna be $6+ mil for Stone, $7+ mil for Duchene, and maybe $10+ mil for Karlsson (if he's being kind/considerate). The salary of those three guys alone is going to almost double.

My guess is that that's going to put the squeeze on guys like Smith, Ceci, and Pageau, because I'm not sure we can move either Ryan or Phaneuf. That said, Ryan's been better these last 6~ months -- maybe he can continue that and build some chemistry with Duchene.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

BRooney you are correct that Smith, Pageau are likely gone after next year.  Burrows will be done and Mac can go on LTIR.  Ceci will likely price himself out of town this summer when he asks for 4.5M per

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Agreed. Soon will mark the beginning of the prospects taking spots. Ceci will be gone, no question. Burrows gone. Right there is ~3 million if giving those spots to ELCs. Pageau they'll keep long term, but Smith might go for an ELC,

I did the numbers a while ago and it'll be close and we'll have to make a sacrifice or two, but I had Karlsson at 12 million, I think, Turris at 6, Stone at 6.5 etc.

Don't know where I posted that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoffman 5.187 - Duchene 7.0 - Stone 6.5
White 2.5 - Brassard 5.0 - Ryan 7.25
Smith 3.25 - Pageau 3.0 - Brown .900
ELC - ELC - ELC = 3.25

Phaneuf 7.0 - Karlsson 12.0
Chabot 0.863 - Jaros 0.755
Boro 1.2 - Claesson 2.0

Anderson 4.75
Condon 2.4

= 75 million.

That's about right with the cap etc. Maybe we re-sign Pyatt, Thompson for that time period if the cap goes up, maybe we get another D-man in there. Not sure.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Clearly, the guy who might be moved is Brassard when the time comes, but that's a pretty competitive lineup that allows for some infusion of youth.

And...I forgot Dzingel...

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:Clearly, the guy who might be moved is Brassard when the time comes, but that's a pretty competitive lineup that allows for some infusion of youth.

It's a lot to balance. And we're assuming MacArthur will be LTIR for the rest of his contract (which may well happen).

At any rate, I'd say we'll feel some moderate cap crunch this coming summer, and then a lot more in the summer of 2019. But it's true, there are a lot of kids chomping at the bit to make the team. The question is, will Boucher trust them.... he does seem to love his Pyatts and Thompsons. I guess they're they same price or thereabouts as someone on an ELC, tho'.

One thing you do have to love is that at least Dorion is showing Karlsson he wants to make the team better and to compete for a cup. Needless to say, losing Karlsson is not an option anyone wants to think about.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Clearly, the guy who might be moved is Brassard when the time comes, but that's a pretty competitive lineup that allows for some infusion of youth.

It's a lot to balance. And we're assuming MacArthur will be LTIR for the rest of his contract (which may well happen).

At any rate, I'd say we'll feel some moderate cap crunch this coming summer, and then a lot more in the summer of 2019. But it's true, there are a lot of kids chomping at the bit to make the team. The question is, will Boucher trust them.... he does seem to love his Pyatts and Thompsons. I guess they're they same price or thereabouts as someone on an ELC, tho'.

One thing you do have to love is that at least Dorion is showing Karlsson he wants to make the team better and to compete for a cup. Needless to say, losing Karlsson is not an option anyone wants to think about.

Yeah karlsson was being pretty mechanical in his answers when asked what it means to him, but what can you expect.

I’m hoping it means he understand how serious is. Having another deep playoff run this year (or even winning the cup) would likely help us resign both duchene and karlsson. One thing is for sure is we cannot lose both those guys to FA after next year.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really wonder if this winds up helping attendance in the short run.
I bought tickets to the Arizona Sens game on the 18th cuz my buddy wants to see the CTC and he’s à Arizona fan so we’re driving down. I gotta say I’m a lot more excited now to be making the trip. (He isn’t Laugh1 )

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I went on hockey boards, I guess Ottawa fans are the most sceptical on this deal. NSH and COL fans are Dung themselves they’re so happy.
I’m ok with it. I still think we overpaid but there comes a point where we have to do s9methjng with all these assets we have. It’s going to be a boring Donkey draft this summer though! Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Brassard is going to net us a nice prospect. It's near inevitable unless he wants to take the same - which, why would he? Unless you can find a trade partner for Phaneuf - and holy cow, the trade wins are gonna blow on that one, you're gonna have to axe someone. And they'll groom Brown and perhaps White to slide into his spot.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The org loves Brassard.  I believe he will be signed long term.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah I see no reason brassard won’t be here long term

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It has to give somewhere pertaining to the cap.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 48 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum