GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 48 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, there's no "rebuild" to be done here.  The core is still the core that got us to the East Finals.  Tampa had a Dung year last year.  These things happen.  We'll get through it.

Exactly. Cut the fat out. Get the young guns some playing time. Sign two good FA’s next summer and we’re right back in it. The young kids need to know what adversity looks like. This is definitely something that will teach them something. Although if this costs us Karlsson and duchene then it really kills our contending.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

And Andy will be great next year if history serves us right.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/exclusive-senators-owner-melynk-not-selling-the-team-period

Facepalm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/exclusive-senators-owner-melynk-not-selling-the-team-period

Facepalm

Who knows what to believe at this point. I believe the other side...that a sale is in the works.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Also, it was nice to score first and also hold onto a lead!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/exclusive-senators-owner-melynk-not-selling-the-team-period

Facepalm

Who knows what to believe at this point.  I believe the other side...that a sale is in the works.
Im hoping that it is true about the sale. Melnyk has been the biggest detriment to this franchise in the past 5 years. I can’t wait till we’re rid of him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman needs to go. He is such a lazy player who is so predictable offensively. We need to move him one for one for a more well rounded player

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Hoffman needs to go. He is such a lazy player who is so predictable offensively. We need to move him one for one for a more well rounded player

I remember saying before we signed him that we should trade him because I didn't think he'd keep producing. I was partially wrong. The problem with him is that he's so one-dimensional. Yeah, he's got a big shot and he'll get his 25 goals/60 points, but he adds literally nothing else. Even his PP skills are one-dimensional (give me puck, me shoot). We also don't see him use his speed and actually take the puck to the net.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Hoffman and Burrows for the Nuge.  Move Duch to the wing.  It would have to be something like that.  I would not move Hoffman.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Hoffman and Burrows for the Nuge.  Move Duch to the wing.  It would have to be something like that.  I would not move Hoffman.

I’m reluctant to move Hoffman also. But it is interesting to add another C to move duchene to the wing. But I’m not keen wi5h creating another hole on the wing with that move on the left side.
I also have concerns regarding RNH health. But he might be a decent stop gap until Brown is ready.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Try playing Hoffman with some top six players. He may be one dimensional but it's a very important dimension. Patrick Kane is over forensics as well.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wonder if Dorion does swing a deal if we win a against the habs. I have a feeling he’s quite close to a deal but of we keep winnin does he actually pull the trigger?

It’s obvious he’s going to try and improve the forward rank but I keep feeling like it’s the backend that’s killing us right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hoffman is a pure goal scorer on a team that doesn't score goals. We need that skill-set right now. I agree he's one dimensional but there are ways to work around that. It really becomes a matter of finding someone to play with Hoffman and Brassard who is strong defensively. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Pageau on the wing of that line knowing full well he's a center. But at some point Pageau needs to play with better players if you want him to produce as well. I mean Ryan/Duchene aren't known for being good defensive players either...

I would also continue to bench Burrows and give Chlapik or White a shot at 3C. Chlapik would be my preferred choice right now.

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Pageau
Smith-Chlapik-Dzingel
Dumont-Thompspon-Pyatt

Defensively there is no solution given our current roster. We have to look at a trade for help. Ceci is the obvious choice here given his contract status. But I would look at adding more to get an upgrade vs trying to sell him off for futures. Batherson and Formenton will see their stock rise if they make team Canada and do well. Just saying...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hoffman is a pure goal scorer on a team that doesn't score goals. We need that skill-set right now. I agree he's one dimensional but there are ways to work around that. It really becomes a matter of finding someone to play with Hoffman and Brassard who is strong defensively. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Pageau on the wing of that line knowing full well he's a center. But at some point Pageau needs to play with better players if you want him to produce as well. I mean Ryan/Duchene aren't known for being good defensive players either...

I would also continue to bench Burrows and give Chlapik or White a shot at 3C. Chlapik would be my preferred choice right now.

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Pageau
Smith-Chlapik-Dzingel
Dumont-Thompspon-Pyatt

Defensively there is no solution given our current roster. We have to look at a trade for help. Ceci is the obvious choice here given his contract status. But I would look at adding more to get an upgrade vs trying to sell him off for futures. Batherson and Formenton will see their stock rise if they make team Canada and do well. Just saying...

I have no problem with playing a one dimensional elite goal scorer. Like Kessel for example. Hoffman is not elite. He has never scored more than 30 goals. His goal scoring prowess is overrated. He misses the net and hits the post a lot.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Hoffman is a pure goal scorer on a team that doesn't score goals. We need that skill-set right now. I agree he's one dimensional but there are ways to work around that. It really becomes a matter of finding someone to play with Hoffman and Brassard who is strong defensively. I wouldn't be opposed to playing Pageau on the wing of that line knowing full well he's a center. But at some point Pageau needs to play with better players if you want him to produce as well. I mean Ryan/Duchene aren't known for being good defensive players either...

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Pageau
Smith-Chlapik-Dzingel
Dumont-Thompspon-Pyatt

I have no problem with playing a one dimensional elite goal scorer. Like Kessel for example. Hoffman is not elite. He has never scored more than 30 goals. His goal scoring prowess is overrated. He misses the net and hits the post a lot.

Fair enough. But what is the return on a guy like Hoffman? We still need goals and he's been the team leader over the past few seasons.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.
There isn’t much to be done right now s8nce I believe we will create a hole to fill one.
The only guys I feel that are expandable are the ones underperforming to a ridiculous level like burrows and oduya and we aren’t getting anything for them. Smith is about the only player with some value but to upgrade on him you’d have to add one or two pieces and there isn’t many teams sell8ng right now.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one  is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.
There isn’t much to be done right now s8nce I believe we will create a hole to fill one.
The only guys I feel that are expandable are the ones underperforming to a ridiculous level like burrows and oduya and we aren’t getting anything for them. Smith is about the only player with some value but to upgrade on him you’d have to add one or two pieces and there isn’t many teams sell8ng right now.

This is why I had proposed that trade a few weeks back for Scandella and Kane. I know must people don't want Kane because of his attitude, and I get that, but I think the Sens are missing attitude and don't have an identity. At worst Kane is on the team for the rest of the year until he's a free agent or better yet he gets re-traded at the deadline. It would also be a salary dumping move. Scandella would come in and provide a LHD partner for Karlsson. He's signed longer term at the rate that Ceci would likely get in his next contract. I believe I had proposed Ceci+Smith+Paul for Kane+Scandella with Ottawa being able to dump some long-term salary commitments while not feeling any short-term effects.

You can do something similar with Edmonton. If they do want Hoffman then they should try to include Phaneuf as a salary dump. I'd target Klefbom or Nurse but the Sens top-six will take a huge hit.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think it sucks because all our best assets you don’t really want to trade, no one  is going to let us upgrade in those positions and I rather not give up too many pieces of the future.

This is why I had proposed that trade a few weeks back for Scandella and Kane. I know must people don't want Kane because of his attitude, and I get that, but I think the Sens are missing attitude and don't have an identity. At worst Kane is on the team for the rest of the year until he's a free agent or better yet he gets re-traded at the deadline. It would also be a salary dumping move. Scandella would come in and provide a LHD partner for Karlsson. He's signed longer term at the rate that Ceci would likely get in his next contract. I believe I had proposed Ceci+Smith+Paul for Kane+Scandella with Ottawa being able to dump some long-term salary commitments while not feeling any short-term effects.

You can do something similar with Edmonton. If they do want Hoffman then they should try to include Phaneuf as a salary dump. I'd target Klefbom or Nurse but the Sens top-six will take a huge hit.

Mmmhhhh im not sure Edmonton would do that deal. One of their main problems is they are slow. I’m not sure Phaneuf would be in their cards but I get what you’re saying. 

I think buffalo wants a lot for Kane. Like a first and a real good prospect. The same could be said about Scandella. We’d likely have to add a pick to that trade, and we have very little of those left.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 48 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum