GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+9
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
Ev
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 57 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Sounds like we need a "Who is the first to go" thread or at least a poll.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

if you don't think Dorion knows the game, then you don't know his background at all

IMO start with Hoffman and see what that does. He is a cancerous player.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

@DWC do you watch a lot of Belleville games ?  Saying Jaros, Englund and Harpur are better than Boro is pure guesswork on your part and unlikely.  Boro is very important to this team.  Dumont is no big deal, he will play in Belleville next year as his contract becomes a 2 way.  Oduya is a deployment problem and would be a few me number 6.  Turris for Duchene was good asset management since Turris wasn’t going to sign.  Keeping Ceci and Methot was the plan but Phaneuf  killed that idea. You can’t keep a broken down Methot over a 23 year old RHS dman. 

It’s now time for the rebuild plan. 

1.  Keep Boucher and replace him after the season.  
2.  If EK, Duchene or Stone balk at resigning then you trade them right away.  
3.  Move Ceci, Pageau, Smith and Hoffman for young forwards and/or picks at the deadline. 
4.  Keep the 1st round pick only if it is top 5. Dahlen, Zadina, Svechnikov or Tkachuk. 
5.  Start trying to figure out a way to unload Phaneuf and Ryan so we aren’t screwed again in the 2020 expansion draft. 
6.  Get rid of the garbage goalies in Belleville so the Hogberg can play most games.  
7.  Pray that Melnyk sells since there is a ton of bad blood between a large group of fans and the Euge.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:@DWC do you watch a lot of Belleville games ?  Saying Jaros, Englund and Harpur are better than Boro is pure guesswork on your part and unlikely.  Boro is very important to this team.  Dumont is no big deal, he will play in Belleville next year as his contract becomes a 2 way.  Oduya is a deployment problem and would be a few me number 6.  Turris for Duchene was good asset management since Turris wasn’t going to sign.  Keeping Ceci and Methot was the plan but Phaneuf  killed that idea. You can’t keep a broken down Methot over a 23 year old RHS dman. 

3.  Move Ceci, Pageau, Smith and Hoffman for young forwards and/or picks at the deadline. 
4.  Keep the 1st round pick only if it is top 5. Dahlen, Zadina, Svechnikov or Tkachuk. 
5.  Start trying to figure out a way to unload Phaneuf and Ryan so we aren’t screwed again in the 2020 expansion draft. 
6.  Get rid of the garbage goalies in Belleville so the Hogberg can play most games.  
7.  Pray that Melnyk sells since there is a ton of bad blood between a large group of fans and the Euge.

Stone will be re-signed and can't balk, he's an RFA.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

If Stone chooses arbitration he becomes a UFA after the 2018-19 season. I think he will sign but if not you have to move him this summer.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:@DWC do you watch a lot of Belleville games ?  Saying Jaros, Englund and Harpur are better than Boro is pure guesswork on your part and unlikely.  Boro is very important to this team.  Dumont is no big deal, he will play in Belleville next year as his contract becomes a 2 way.  Oduya is a deployment problem and would be a few me number 6.  Turris for Duchene was good asset management since Turris wasn’t going to sign.  Keeping Ceci and Methot was the plan but Phaneuf  killed that idea. You can’t keep a broken down Methot over a 23 year old RHS dman. 

I don't watch any Belleville hockey but can say with some certainty that in a 5-6 d-man capacity I would rather give Englund/Jaros/Harpur/Chabot a shot over a broken down Boro. I understand that his role is different but I was pretty surprised to see him get a multi-year extension at 28 years old given his injury history.

1. Agreed. I think it needs to happen in the off-season but won't be surprised if it happens during next season where it will be too late to bring in a qualified replacement.
2. Agreed. But to afford all three you need to move Phaneuf/Ryan and some other salaries. Duchene will make around $8M, Karl $11M, and Stone $7M. That's a lot of money for 3 players. You need to move Brass, Phaneuf, Pageau, Smith, Ceci to even consider re-signing all three of those guys long-term. If you can get a top-six forward and a top-four d-man on good contracts for Karlsson you really have to consider it.
3. See my point above. My concern is I don't think Hoffman will get you a top-end prospect or a late 1st rd pick. The Sens need someone more immediate to come in.
4. I know Svech plays in the OHL. I hope Ottawa still isn't anti-Russian and takes a shot on him if we get the chance to.
5. There are other bad contracts in the NHL. We may need to take one in order to move those guys.
6. I find it astonishing that Hammond is still playing in Belleville. He's not even our goalie anymore!
7. There are rumors suggesting that he's sold and there is an announcement coming this month. I do not believe these rumors but hope they're true.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I have a couple friends who are extremely tight with most of the big money developer types in town.  They told me that a group is ready to buy but I have heard nothing about a sale being done.  At the time they were talking about the group there had not even been negotiations yet.  The group is apparently expecting the team to be put up for sale shortly after Lebreton is signed.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:

I don't watch any Belleville hockey but can say with some certainty that in a 5-6 d-man capacity I would rather give Englund/Jaros/Harpur/Chabot a shot over a broken down Boro. I understand that his role is different but I was pretty surprised to see him get a multi-year extension at 28 years old given his injury history.

1. Agreed. I think it needs to happen in the off-season but won't be surprised if it happens during next season where it will be too late to bring in a qualified replacement.
2. Agreed. But to afford all three you need to move Phaneuf/Ryan and some other salaries. Duchene will make around $8M, Karl $11M, and Stone $7M. That's a lot of money for 3 players. You need to move Brass, Phaneuf, Pageau, Smith, Ceci to even consider re-signing all three of those guys long-term. If you can get a top-six forward and a top-four d-man on good contracts for Karlsson you really have to consider it.
3. See my point above. My concern is I don't think Hoffman will get you a top-end prospect or a late 1st rd pick. The Sens need someone more immediate to come in.
4. I know Svech plays in the OHL. I hope Ottawa still isn't anti-Russian and takes a shot on him if we get the chance to.
5. There are other bad contracts in the NHL. We may need to take one in order to move those guys.
6. I find it astonishing that Hammond is still playing in Belleville. He's not even our goalie anymore!
7. There are rumors suggesting that he's sold and there is an announcement coming this month. I do not believe these rumors but hope they're true.

You don’t really need to move brass as his contract will actually finish once those other contracts kick in.

It’s hard to say what we will do with Ryan and Dion. A new ownership might consider a buyout. I doubt this teams takes any bad contract to rid themselves of this one. Not under Melnyk anyways.

I guess we all expect a lot to happen to this franchise between now and the start of next year’s training camp. I’m more and more feel8ng like we might get disappointed. I expect a cou0le of guys to get moved and obviously move past a few contracts but nothing mind blowing. It would be nice to trade guys like Ceci and Hoffman for some blue chip prospects or something close to that. Kind of prepare the next generation of sens but I still feel like this management will try for a retool and have another go next year and if I’m feeling Frank I feel like it’s the right move. The age of the guys we have, the age of our upcoming prospects that will be making the jump. All things point for a window that will open up. That is if we can keep Karlsson and duchene. (Stone is obvious)
Having a bad year and adding a guy like thachuck might be a blessing in disguise that actually propels this team for the next few years. But

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Other than the concussion this season, how many games has Borowiecki missed due to injury? I remember when he cut his leg open when kicking the soccer ball around before a game. That was a freak occurrence. Other than that, nothing more than a game or two here and there. He's been quite durable. Leads the league in hits, makes it very dangerous for right wingers. It will be a while before Englund or Jaros can do that, and despite his size, Harpur just doesn't play that style.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ha...no one made a GDT thread for last night. I guess, like me, no one cares about individual games anymore. This season's OVER. The team has totally tuned out Boucher. The lack of effort from most the players is very telling.

It was nice to see Matrix have a great game last night.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I am still in disbelief that a lot of people didn't see the writing on the wall for the Sens this year. When is the last time we actually saw the Sens dominate a game? Even last year there were concerns about the team consistently being outshot and outplayed. The only thing saving Boucher right now is the fact that "they were one goal away from going to the cup finals".

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am still in disbelief that a lot of people didn't see the writing on the wall for the Sens this year. When is the last time we actually saw the Sens dominate a game? Even last year there were concerns about the team consistently being outshot and outplayed. The only thing saving Boucher right now is the fact that "they were one goal away from going to the cup finals".

Oh come on, even people who didn't think they were a great team didn't think they would be a bottom team.

The only thing saving Boucher? Yeah I guess that means nothing. I guess it means nothing to almost win three playoff rounds after a good regular season in your first year.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am still in disbelief that a lot of people didn't see the writing on the wall for the Sens this year. When is the last time we actually saw the Sens dominate a game? Even last year there were concerns about the team consistently being outshot and outplayed. The only thing saving Boucher right now is the fact that "they were one goal away from going to the cup finals".

Oh come on, even people who didn't think they were a great team didn't think they would be a bottom team.

The only thing saving Boucher? Yeah I guess that means nothing. I guess it means nothing to almost win three playoff rounds after a good regular season in your first year.

Decent regular season in his first year. Don't be fooled by the number of games stolen by Sens goalies last year. And they didn't clinch a playoff spot until the 2nd last game. They would never have made it past a healthy Bruins team.

I don't think anyone thought they'd be this bad but to see them miss the playoffs was certainly a possibility.

And here's another nugget of info that will likely piss everyone in this forum off: https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-senators-and-oilers-worked-on-hall-for-ceci-trade/

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:

Decent regular season in his first year. Don't be fooled by the number of games stolen by Sens goalies last year. And they didn't clinch a playoff spot until the 2nd last game. They would never have made it past a healthy Bruins team.

I don't think anyone thought they'd be this bad but to see them miss the playoffs was certainly a possibility.

And here's another nugget of info that will likely piss everyone in this forum off: https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-senators-and-oilers-worked-on-hall-for-ceci-trade/

Doesn't piss me off, because I know that was never a realistic trade.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

I buy this as a 1 for 1 deal, but it still doesn't piss me off.  I find Hall a very one dimensional winger.  The Sens wouldn't have won the trade, but it would have addressed what was really and still is really needed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Ha...no one made a GDT thread for last night.  I guess, like me, no one cares about individual games anymore.  This season's OVER.  The team has totally tuned out Boucher.  The lack of effort from most the players is very telling.  

It was nice to see Matrix have a great game last night.  

We should trade him to Arizona Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They didn't just barely make it last year. Many teams don't officially clinch until the last couple games. Keep in mind the injuries (CMac, for one) and their #1 goalie being away for half the games. And they were not always outshot, their shots-against and goals-against went dramatically down from the previous season.

This season they are at or near the bottom of the league in goals for, goals against, shots against (shots for is so-so), PK, PP, SV%. They are missing Boro and Wideman. They are missing a rallying point -- no Nicholle to unite them. Karlsson has not only been affected by his off-season surgery, he's also played with very little desire in too many games. Last night, OT, was a perfect example. Pageau won the draw but the puck was a little slow getting to Karl. Instead of jumping in and grabbing the puck he stayed back waiting for it to get to him, lazily stretching his stick to it. Pageau *WON* that draw FFS!

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

I buy this as a 1 for 1 deal, but it still doesn't piss me off.  I find Hall a very one dimensional winger.  The Sens wouldn't have won the trade, but it would have addressed what was really and still is really needed.

It would have addressed their top-six forward depth which they ending up addressing by bringing in Burrows (who is barely a 4th liner at this point). It also means we would still have Dahlen and wouldn't have Burrows and they could have protected Methot as the 3rd D in expansion. Could have left Smith unprotected in place of Hall.

Zero foresight within the Sens organization.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum