GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #19: Blue Jackets @ Sens - 7:30pm - Thursday Nov. 19 2015

+7
SensHulk
spader
Flo The Action
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Murray didn't say anything anyone didn't already know.  He said they have to play better.  Everyone's been saying that.  All the fault here is at Cowen's feet.

He is what he is. He's a great builder and a decent GM, but he's a meddler. Always has been.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Not denying murray's ability to meddle in coaching affairs, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with him mentioning that both weircioch and cowen need to be better. He's just being honest. We've seen far worse from murray

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Murray didn't say anything anyone didn't already know.  He said they have to play better.  Everyone's been saying that.  All the fault here is at Cowen's feet.

Nothing new for Cowen since he wasn't saying the "right things" when he was scratched last year either.

I personally think Cowen is a touch better than he was at that time last year for sure but I guess the organization feels like it's time to turn up the heat.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Urkie wrote:
wprager wrote:Cowen simply does not realize that they only reason he's been getting ice time is because of Murray.  To say he doesn't really care what he's saying is so ridiculously stupid that I'm now of a firm belief that Jared Cowen isn't just missing Hockey IQ; he's just missing IQ. Dumber than cattle and uglier than a mule, in a game where smaller, mobile puck-moving defensemen are becoming increasingly more common.

He may have just bought himself a ticket out of town and at the very least has done himself no favors what so ever. I think he likely wants a change of scenery. I've never been a fan of his attitude either.

I used to pull for him, until he held out for that contract. He has demanded things he has not earned, and after getting them he has done little to remedy the situation.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Nothing new for Cowen since he wasn't saying the "right things" when he was scratched last year either.

I personally think Cowen is a touch better than he was at that time last year for sure but I guess the organization feels like it's time to turn up the heat.

He may have been "a touch better" but he's getting $1M more this year than last ($3.7M over $2.7M) and he clearly did not earn last year's salary.  Being benched last year did not improve his effort.  He's still talking how hard it is because you may be pulled out of the lineup.  Boo. Hoo.  Grow a pair!  There is no way the Sens will pay him $4.5M next year. Mark my words. If he has not improved both his on-ice play and his attitude (and I don't think either will happen) he will be traded or waived.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:
Urkie wrote:
wprager wrote:Cowen simply does not realize that they only reason he's been getting ice time is because of Murray.  To say he doesn't really care what he's saying is so ridiculously stupid that I'm now of a firm belief that Jared Cowen isn't just missing Hockey IQ; he's just missing IQ. Dumber than cattle and uglier than a mule, in a game where smaller, mobile puck-moving defensemen are becoming increasingly more common.

He may have just bought himself a ticket out of town and at the very least has done himself no favors what so ever. I think he likely wants a change of scenery. I've never been a fan of his attitude either.

I used to pull for him, until he held out for that contract.  He has demanded things he has not earned, and after getting them he has done little to remedy the situation.  

I couldn't agree more. The only time I think he ever looked good is when he was paired with Gonchar. I thought he might develop into someone that could also chip in offensively but I really doubt that now. In my opinion, the best he could be is a 5 or 6.

I feel like his attitude could become a distraction/problem for the team though. If he continues to be a scratch then it will not end well.

Urkie

Urkie
Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:

When he was drafted they expected him to become a top pairing guy and I think he still feels like he can be but clearly the results prove he's not even close to that. It's a clear case of a player not living up to expectations coupled with someone who has a bad attitude. This year he has had ample opportunity to show what he can be but he's been part of the worst pairing in the entire league. The time to move on is rapidly approaching in my opinion.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The problem in this case is that he's owrn 4.7 million on real dollars next year, so really, there's no chance he's traded. Who would give up something for a guy that's been okay all year and projects as a number 5 at this point.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:The problem in this case is that he's owrn 4.7 million on real dollars next year, so really, there's no chance he's traded.  Who would give up something for a guy that's been okay all year and projects as a number 5 at this point.
Yeah i have to agree. Price tag alone means hes not gonna be attractive to any GMs. Hes either gonna have to make it work in ottawa or we're gonna have absorb another toxic contract. Which is not modus opperendus fir BM or Melnyk.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

or sens could eat some of his contract depending on who they're getting back. I think they'll find a way to trade him without taking on a big contract in return.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:The problem in this case is that he's owrn 4.7 million on real dollars next year, so really, there's no chance he's traded.  Who would give up something for a guy that's been okay all year and projects as a number 5 at this point.

He can be traded if they retain some salary or if they take on a bad contract themselves. Many GMs still out there getting a hard-on for a 6'5" defenseman who was supposed to go top-five before getting hurt. Many will look at his off-season surgery and figure (quote correctly) that between the knee, hip and sports hernia his development had stalled, but the potential is still as high as it ever was. All he needs it a change of scenery and he'll be great.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Yeah i have to agree. Price tag alone means hes not gonna be attractive to any GMs. Hes either gonna have to make it work in ottawa or we're gonna have absorb another toxic contract. Which is not modus opperendus fir BM or Melnyk.

The new CBA allows them to retain salary. They can weigh retaining salary vs buyout and see which is best.

Just like the other GMs I mentioned in the previous post. Bryan Murray might see another player on a bad contract who "just needs a change of scene". He looks at Turris and figure that worked out great, I must have an eye for finding the right player. It can happen.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any trades?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Atta boy, Curtis. Get to scrappin'.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Thats the kind of win you wanna have. (Minus the injuries.)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yikes! Looks like Cowen will skip learning yet another lesson. Or would they bring up Claesson and continue to sit Cowbun? That might actually sink in, but I doubt they have the balls or dollars to do it.

At first I thought it was just the wind knocked out of him as Foligno was nowhere near the head, but on the way down sure looked like whiplash. A concussion could take a while.

Wow, Ryan. That sucks, but that's not five and a game. Hard hit, unnecessary because the puck was gone but hardly late.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Yikes!  Looks like Cowen will skip learning yet another lesson.  Or would they bring up Claesson and continue to sit Cowbun?  That might actually sink in, but I doubt they have the balls or dollars to do it.

At first I thought it was just the wind knocked out of him as Foligno was nowhere near the head, but on the way down sure looked like whiplash.  A concussion could take a while.

Wow, Ryan.  That sucks, but that's not five and a game.  Hard hit, unnecessary because the puck was gone but hardly late.

Season. Over.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How bad is Ryan is the question.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum