GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT: Wings @ Sens@ Capitals - Right &^%&% NOW!

+5
PTFlea
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, there's pros and cons I would say.  I like the experience Stone, Hoffman, Zbad etc are getting.  It's hard not to say that this probably hurt our chances of getting into the playoffs though, we needed a winger who could score - veteran that is.  That's life though.  Melnyk will have to pay for someone next summer.

We had Ryan (4 x 30+), Michalek (5 x 20+) and MacArthur (3 x 20+). Stone is on a nearly 20-goal pace, Hoffman on a 28-goal pace. Chiasson is on pace for 18.

Our young players are performing above expectations, for the most part. Ryan and MacArthur are well off their pace from last year. Michalek is sucking but he sucked last year -- so that's hardly unexpected. Smith and Greening fell off the scoring sheet.

Bottom line is we *had* veteran wingers with scoring history. All except Michalek are underperforming this year (so is Michalek but we should have known better).

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hossa is over the hill. That ship has sailed, no thanks.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Hossa is over the hill.  That ship has sailed, no thanks.

Ha...he most certainly is not.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think Hossa necessarily fits in with the whole "smart spending" thing...he's under contract until 2021 when he'll be 41 or 42. Granted the last four years pay him $1M in actual dollars, but that's still a big cap hit of $5.275...and I'm not sure how this works with the new rules under the CBA with guys retiring and years still left on their contract. So I don't see any scenario in which we trade for Hossa.

Sharp has a modified NTC, so who knows how that could play out.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah that contract isn't great.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:Hossa is over the hill.  That ship has sailed, no thanks.

Ha...he most certainly is not.

He most certainly is so. 35 years old now and that's a lot of hard miles on him. Production is dropping off (looks like he'll miss getting 20 this year). This isn't like getting Selanne to play for a year or two at $2M, he's on a $5M+ contract for another five years.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Meh. 25 points in 38 games, Cup winner, heart and soul guy, fan favourite. There are a lot of pros to him. I agree, a lot of cons with that contract too.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Meh.  25 points in 38 games, Cup winner, heart and soul guy, fan favourite.  There are a lot of pros to him.  I agree, a lot of cons with that contract too.

Two years, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Not five.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum