GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Am I Watching Right now?

+13
spader
Hoags
Vandelay
TheAvatar
Ev
Flo The Action
NEELY
PTFlea
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
tim1_2
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45 ... 52  Next

Go down  Message [Page 38 of 52]

556What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:34 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:
Ev wrote:The wire is way better than breaking bad which j did not enjoy too much. I don't like the New Mexico setting

I'm not the biggest fan of the setting either.
But I can definitely see why it's a classic. The writing is excellent.

I like the setting, it adds a quirky dimension to the show, IMO. Besides, I prefer settings other than Los Angeles or New York or other BIG US cities. It's a welcome change.

557What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:16 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Saw a trailer for the new Doctor Strange movie (they showed it before Star Trek).  I'm a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock.  Haven't seen him in anything else (other than the previous Trek movie, of course, and him voicing Smaug -- the dragon in the Hobbit films).  Never read the comics (unless there was a cross-over in a Spiderman or some-such).  

The writer/director (Scott Derrickson) has done Sinister (1&2), The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Deliver us from Evil, Devil's Knot -- sounds like he has a lot of horror movie experience.  

Music is by Michael Giacchino (Lost).  

What a weird mix.

Imitation game was excellent.

558What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:50 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:
wprager wrote:Saw a trailer for the new Doctor Strange movie (they showed it before Star Trek).  I'm a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock.  Haven't seen him in anything else (other than the previous Trek movie, of course, and him voicing Smaug -- the dragon in the Hobbit films).  Never read the comics (unless there was a cross-over in a Spiderman or some-such).  

The writer/director (Scott Derrickson) has done Sinister (1&2), The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Deliver us from Evil, Devil's Knot -- sounds like he has a lot of horror movie experience.  

Music is by Michael Giacchino (Lost).  

What a weird mix.

Imitation game was excellent.

Yep, heard that.  It's just that I watch so few movies.  Star Wars, Trek -- the occasional Avengers or some spinoff.  Mostly because our watching has been reduced to an hour or so at the end of the day.  Stupid kids and their growing up.  Things were fine when they went to bed at 8:30.

559What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
Ev wrote:The wire is way better than breaking bad which j did not enjoy too much. I don't like the New Mexico setting

I'm not the biggest fan of the setting either.
But I can definitely see why it's a classic. The writing is excellent.

I like the setting, it adds a quirky dimension to the show, IMO. Besides, I prefer settings other than Los Angeles or New York or other BIG US cities. It's a welcome change.

Agreed. The setting was excellent. The drives out to the middle of the desert...nothing ever good came from those! Better Call Saul now has the same setting and I love it too.

560What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Better Call Saul is very hard to get into. I gave up after two episodes.

The Night Of is getting worse as each episode moves on. Enough about the lawyer's feet.

Stranger Things was excellent. I watched all 8 episodes in one sitting which I never do. Highly recommended for those who like 80's shows and sci-fi mysteries.

561What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:59 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Better Call Saul is very hard to get into. I gave up after two episodes.

It certainly is a change of pace and different than Breaking Bad, but I sure wouldn't call it "hard to get into". It has a pretty narrow focus with only a couple story lines, and is really, really easy to follow.

562What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:22 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

If you like great atmosphere, I suggest Top of the Lake or Broadchurch. Top notch storywriting,

563What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Loved Broadchurch. When's S3 coming out? Add The Fall to that list. Luther as well. Brits do atmosphere right.

564What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:16 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:If you like great atmosphere, I suggest Top of the Lake or Broadchurch. Top notch storywriting,

What network?

565What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Top of the Lake was on the Sundance channel; it was an Aussie-New Zealand production. It is now on Netflix US (but not Canada). Broadchurch was BBC and likely ran on BBC-America in the US and not sure about Canada. I watched it on Netflix but I may have later seen it on Bravo. Not sure. In either case it's available on Netflix Canada now.

566What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:06 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:If you like great atmosphere, I suggest Top of the Lake or Broadchurch. Top notch storywriting,

What network?

Top of the lake was a mini series (although I think they have a season 2 coming up). Like P Rager said it is on Netflix US. Worht downloading, only 7 episodes, about an jour each.

Broadchurch is still on netflix Canada.

567What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Broadchurch was remade in the US as Gracepoint; I think it was on Fox. David Tennant played the same character but this time without the Scottish accent. It was (in many places) almost shot-for-shot copy of the original. It was actually not awful. Broadchruch had a S2 and they promised a S3 as well, that I'm still waiting for. S1 was excellent. S2 was, well, different. Still very good but didn't set the mood like S1.

S1, to me, was very similar to The Killing (AMC) -- same story line of a family torn apart by the murder of a child. But where The Killing took 2 seasons (of 20-ish episodes each) to tell the story, Broadchurch did the same in one season of 8 (?) episodes or so. You can imagine the story-telling was a hell of a lot tighter. I still liked The Killing a lot, BTW.

568What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Season 2 was good. I may have even liked it better than Season 1 in certain aspects.

569What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:13 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Started the Wire, about 6 episodes in. Just realized a young skinny Michael B Jordan is acting in this.

570What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:Season 2 was good. I may have even liked it better than Season 1 in certain aspects.

Are you talking about Broadchurch or The Killing?

With Broadchurch it just became a very different show. Went from a who-done-it to a court case with a few extra stories on the sides (the lesbian lawyer, his daughter and his condition, the trial, of course, and the back story on his previous case and current situation). Where as the first season was very focused, the second one felt like it was running in different directions all at once.

571What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:Started the Wire, about 6 episodes in. Just realized a young skinny Michael B Jordan is acting in this.
5 seasons to go. I hoped you stocked up your fridge because you're not leaving home for a while. That show is excellent!

572What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just watched the S4 finale of Orphan Black. If you have Shomi I'm pretty sure the first 3 seasons are available there (none of it is on Netflix, unfortunately). Highly recommended for the performance of Tatiana Maslany in the lead roles. She's excellent. And the story line is pretty good, too. That, and 12 Monkeys are two of the better scifi series on TV right now. 12 Monkeys just finished S2. S1 is on Shomi.

Of course all of these are available via magical means up to the latest aired episodes.

I have a dilemma coming up. I was going to cancel HBO as it's just the boys re-watching GoT for the umpteenth time, and they are jacking the price up $3 soon. Dilemma is that that package also gives me Space. Now, Orphan Black is done for this season, but there's still Dark Matter and Killjoys. And this fall: Westworld. As dark as the movie was (what with robot cowboys shooting the guests) the TV reboot looks way darker. And looks good. I wonder if it will be picked up by Bravo or Showcase, or if HBO is the only way we'll have to watch it (other than the already-mentioned magical means).

573What Am I Watching Right now? - Page 38 Empty Re: What Am I Watching Right now? Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Finished Season 1 of The Wire. Was pretty cool. Kinda slow paced which is right in my alley. No real perfect / hero type of character which is also pretty cool.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 38 of 52]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 45 ... 52  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum