GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Pens @ Sens :: Game 4, Round 2 :: 7:30pm ET :: Wed. May. 22nd, 2013

+10
TheAvatar
spader
SensHulk
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
wprager
NEELY
tim1_2
shabbs
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cowen, Karlsson, and Spezza aren't really in playoff game shape, but there's not much you can do about that. Michalek's playing on one leg, but there's not much you can about that either. You do the best with what you've got...and sometimes it won't be good enough.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:Cowen, Karlsson, and Spezza aren't really in playoff game shape, but there's not much you can do about that. Michalek's playing on one leg, but there's not much you can about that either. You do the best with what you've got...and sometimes it won't be good enough.

Sens aren't done yet but I have always been of the opinion next year is the year the Sens make some serious noise... next year they are a contender but they need to make a move for a legit goal scorer and they need to resign Gonchar for one more season.

Also, I don't think the Pens get by Boston.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:I can't say i'm surprised, I mean even with spezza in(which he looks slow and i won't fault him for that, out of shape and hasn't played all year) this is a ridiculously stacked team. almost to the point where you have to wonder how fair it really is. you have to hand it to NYI for making their games so close.

I really do hope this isn't Alfie's last season because I truly feel with another year under this young team we could really start doing some damage(plus there will not be another pitts team that stacked next year.)

Their cap is $70M -- the only reason they can get away with it is because a chunk of that only counts from the trade deadline on. I really wish they would change that rule (or lack of one).

Next year, they are at $56.7M with 12 forwards, 6D and 2 goalies, and that lineup sheds the likes of Iginla, Morrow, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis and Adams among the forwards, and Murray and Eaton on D. That lineup is one injury (or sub-par goaltending) away from missing the playoffs.

I'm not suggesting they don't re-sign any of those players, for sure, but they have a little over $7M to re-sign Dupuis (on pace for 34G/65 pts in a full season), improve their D, fill out the roster with a 13th F and 7th D, and account for injuries. And the year after that they've got Kunitz, Sutter, Orpik and Letang and, oh yeah, Malkin -- all to be re-signed or replaced. All (except for Malkin) will need significant raises. They are going for it this year because they can see some lean years coming up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I can't say i'm surprised, I mean even with spezza in(which he looks slow and i won't fault him for that, out of shape and hasn't played all year) this is a ridiculously stacked team. almost to the point where you have to wonder how fair it really is. you have to hand it to NYI for making their games so close.

I really do hope this isn't Alfie's last season because I truly feel with another year under this young team we could really start doing some damage(plus there will not be another pitts team that stacked next year.)
I'm willing to bet that if Vokoun had started in that Isles series... would have been a sweep.

I'll take that bet. I'll bet $1,000,000.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Their cap is $70M -- the only reason they can get away with it is because a chunk of that only counts from the trade deadline on. I really wish they would change that rule (or lack of one).

Next year, they are at $56.7M with 12 forwards, 6D and 2 goalies, and that lineup sheds the likes of Iginla, Morrow, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis and Adams among the forwards, and Murray and Eaton on D. That lineup is one injury (or sub-par goaltending) away from missing the playoffs.

I'm not suggesting they don't re-sign any of those players, for sure, but they have a little over $7M to re-sign Dupuis (on pace for 34G/65 pts in a full season), improve their D, fill out the roster with a 13th F and 7th D, and account for injuries. And the year after that they've got Kunitz, Sutter, Orpik and Letang and, oh yeah, Malkin -- all to be re-signed or replaced. All (except for Malkin) will need significant raises. They are going for it this year because they can see some lean years coming up.

Yeah, this is the year they can spend a ton of money, next year will be back to reality, then the year after they're happily Cussed with Letang and Malkin and Orpik and Kunitz and Sutter all needing new contracts. They can eat Dung and die. Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Interesting comments from Alfie saying he didn't think they could come back from the hole they are in, saying the Pens are just too deep.

No ones disagreeing with him, but odd to hear him say that in public.

Exasperation. Too many fundamental Diddle ups like errant passes and missed nets.
Agree, but the Captain should never say that in public. Ever. I get that he's pissed and is probably thinking that was his last game at SBP.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Alfi can say whatever he wants... he's earned that right and no one should question it at this point.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Sens aren't done yet but I have always been of the opinion next year is the year the Sens make some serious noise... next year they are a contender but they need to make a move for a legit goal scorer and they need to resign Gonchar for one more season.

Gonchar was Cussing brutal, he had a good year but holy Dung when he decides to suck he goes full challenged mode. I wonder if they'll go in a different direction.

No idea where they can get a "legit" goal scorer from, can't really think of who'd be available.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Will have to be a trade and Dallas is the place to look.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it might be high time to overpay for Eriksson if he's at all available. But the point is there and has been all year that the Sens need an upper echelon goal scorer for the start of next year if they want to be a legit contender.

I'd also be okay re-signing Gonchar, I think the pieces are in place for him to come back for one more year with us, but if he balks, there will be a lot of work for Murray to do to fill that 2nd pairing right side void.

Everything else is taken care of beautifully. The experience they're getting now is invaluable, they have goaltending, they have the young D core, they have forward depth. They have the best coach in the league.

Let's do it!

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Man, watching the highlights... Sens just were not skating... Pens were always moving their feet, getting to pucks... Sens looked like they were standing still. Frustrating.

The last time we played a good game 4 was in 2007

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:

I'm willing to bet that if Vokoun had started in that Isles series... would have been a sweep.

Not only that, but the Pens didn't really care about the 1st round until they saw the Islanders pushing.
Same thing as Boston, they need to be woken up.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Michalek needs to be replaced. Can't waste a roster spot on a walking-on-one-knee dead. Too bad but it needs to be done.
I am still bitter at Corey Perry

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKing wrote:Michalek needs to be replaced. Can't waste a roster spot on a walking-on-one-knee dead. Too bad but it needs to be done.

I don't think you throw in the towel, I think you move him away from the top line once and for all and put him with Turris and Alfie. Then you look at wing men for Spez. One can be Silfverberg or Conacher, but the other one has to be a scoring winger - like a guy who's score 30-40 goals recently. Easier said than done, but that's what has to happen.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

LeKing wrote:Michalek needs to be replaced. Can't waste a roster spot on a walking-on-one-knee dead. Too bad but it needs to be done.

Did you see the wheels on him on that shortie? He may have a bad knee, but he didn't on that play.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did you see his goal last night? This isn't a player you just walk away from. Hopefully they can operate/treat his knee this off-season and he comes back near 100% next year. This guy scored 35 goals last year.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

If there's a trade out there that can get us a 20-25 goal scorer without injury history I won't hesitate one second.
Teams with inconsistent/injured players don't go nowhere. He is becoming Martin Havlat and I love both players when they're healthy.
Unless Eugene wants to spend to the cap and Michalek is not expected to be a top line player anymore.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeKing wrote:If there's a trade out there that can get us a 20-25 goal scorer without injury history I won't hesitate one second.
Teams with inconsistent/injured players don't go nowhere. He is becoming Martin Havlat and I love both players when they're healthy.
Unless Eugene wants to spend to the cap and Michalek is not expected to be a top line player anymore.

Good second line guy though. 4.33 is about right for that too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum