GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

PLAYOFF GAME DAY: Pens @ Sens :: Game 4, Round 2 :: 7:30pm ET :: Wed. May. 22nd, 2013

+10
TheAvatar
spader
SensHulk
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
wprager
NEELY
tim1_2
shabbs
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I guess we play better when we don't have a lead?

Wink

Bah.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I can't say i'm surprised, I mean even with spezza in(which he looks slow and i won't fault him for that, out of shape and hasn't played all year) this is a ridiculously stacked team. almost to the point where you have to wonder how fair it really is. you have to hand it to NYI for making their games so close.

I really do hope this isn't Alfie's last season because I truly feel with another year under this young team we could really start doing some damage(plus there will not be another pitts team that stacked next year.)

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:Man, watching the highlights... Sens just were not skating... Pens were always moving their feet, getting to pucks... Sens looked like they were standing still. Frustrating.

Haven't read through the entire thread but Cowen has to be mentioned. If MacLean was talking about guys that were not skating... well Cowen hasn't been skating all series. He plays 1/2 way decent last night and the Sens probably pull that one out.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:Man, watching the highlights... Sens just were not skating... Pens were always moving their feet, getting to pucks... Sens looked like they were standing still. Frustrating.

Haven't read through the entire thread but Cowen has to be mentioned. If MacLean was talking about guys that were not skating... well Cowen hasn't been skating all series. He plays 1/2 way decent last night and the Sens probably pull that one out.

Hard to say that Cowen playing better last nigiht would've made the difference.

Our offense is still struggling. It seems like Pittsburgh gets shots on all their rushes into our zone. We will take the puck in on the outside, try to cycle it down low, lose it pretty quick, and then it's turned back into pressure on us. I saw a few zone entries last night where we should've taken a quick shot (especially with the rebounds Vokoun gives out), but we just held onto it too long.

There's a lot of things that need to be better, but Pittsburgh is certainly a juggernaut at this point.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Flo The Action wrote:I can't say i'm surprised, I mean even with spezza in(which he looks slow and i won't fault him for that, out of shape and hasn't played all year) this is a ridiculously stacked team. almost to the point where you have to wonder how fair it really is. you have to hand it to NYI for making their games so close.

I really do hope this isn't Alfie's last season because I truly feel with another year under this young team we could really start doing some damage(plus there will not be another pitts team that stacked next year.)
I'm willing to bet that if Vokoun had started in that Isles series... would have been a sweep.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I can't say i'm surprised, I mean even with spezza in(which he looks slow and i won't fault him for that, out of shape and hasn't played all year) this is a ridiculously stacked team. almost to the point where you have to wonder how fair it really is. you have to hand it to NYI for making their games so close.

I'm willing to bet that if Vokoun had started in that Isles series... would have been a sweep.
ya, very true. Buy out with MAF? they try and keep Iggy?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:

why do you think that is? poor conditioning due to the past injury? I saw a lot of amazing things from cowen since he's been back. this is all a great learning experience for our young players is the way i see it. will pay off next season.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Hard to say that Cowen playing better last nigiht would've made the difference.

Our offense is still struggling. It seems like Pittsburgh gets shots on all their rushes into our zone. We will take the puck in on the outside, try to cycle it down low, lose it pretty quick, and then it's turned back into pressure on us. I saw a few zone entries last night where we should've taken a quick shot (especially with the rebounds Vokoun gives out), but we just held onto it too long.

There's a lot of things that need to be better, but Pittsburgh is certainly a juggernaut at this point.

Cowen was buttery soft last night. That first goal, when they win the draw in their own zone, he needs to either move that puck or get it out and it's been like that all series for Ottawa and Cowen. They are not going to win games by getting into a rabbit race and they depend on guys like Cowen to play hard defensively and make the right choices most of the time. His errors are either a lack of focus and effort or he's hurt.

The guy I have been so impressed with thus far aside from that one goal last night is Gonchar. He's been the rock that has gotten the Sens through the season and in the playoffs. Not resigning him would be a huge mistake IMO because there is absolutely no one ready to replace him going into next year at this point and Boyle isn't leaving San Jose the way he has been playing either.

Karlsson seems to be coming around and has looked great the last 2 games and Spezza is obviously not playing at 100%. Anderson can only do so much and Alfi can't do anything more than he already has.

Hopefully next game the Sens give their best effort of the playoffs because they are going to need it.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Flo The Action wrote:
NEELY wrote:

why do you think that is? poor conditioning due to the past injury? I saw a lot of amazing things from cowen since he's been back. this is all a great learning experience for our young players is the way i see it. will pay off next season.

No question but he's been awful in this series. He has learned a lot IMO and will obviously be big time help going forward but he needs to be better if the Sens have any chance of winning.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting comments from Alfie saying he didn't think they could come back from the hole they are in, saying the Pens are just too deep.

No ones disagreeing with him, but odd to hear him say that in public.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Needs something to pump up the team and clearly his inspired effort isn't enough on the ice. Maybe someone else should step it up and not a 41 year old, 17 year vet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Feels bad man.

Comfort

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've been saying all series that Cowen isn't ready for this. He's not in playoff game shape yet and last night it showed....again. I would have a hard time justifying him in the lineup next game if I was Mac.

Karlsson laying down to try to get a call pissed me off too. Don't start that, no one liked that especially when we get scored on the Cussing play.

Mac's presser was bang on. See you in Pittsburgh and we better be ready.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Interesting comments from Alfie saying he didn't think they could come back from the hole they are in, saying the Pens are just too deep.

No ones disagreeing with him, but odd to hear him say that in public.

Exasperation. Too many fundamental Diddle ups like errant passes and missed nets.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:I've been saying all series that Cowen isn't ready for this. He's not in playoff game shape yet and last night it showed....again. I would have a hard time justifying him in the lineup next game if I was Mac.

Karlsson laying down to try to get a call pissed me off too. Don't start that, no one liked that especially when we get scored on the Cussing play.

Mac's presser was bang on. See you in Pittsburgh and we better be ready.

Pissing a lot of people off. He needs to earn some respect, he's a star now and being targeted comes with the territory.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cowen, Karlsson, and Spezza aren't really in playoff game shape, but there's not much you can do about that. Michalek's playing on one leg, but there's not much you can about that either. You do the best with what you've got...and sometimes it won't be good enough.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:Cowen, Karlsson, and Spezza aren't really in playoff game shape, but there's not much you can do about that. Michalek's playing on one leg, but there's not much you can about that either. You do the best with what you've got...and sometimes it won't be good enough.

Sens aren't done yet but I have always been of the opinion next year is the year the Sens make some serious noise... next year they are a contender but they need to make a move for a legit goal scorer and they need to resign Gonchar for one more season.

Also, I don't think the Pens get by Boston.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Their cap is $70M -- the only reason they can get away with it is because a chunk of that only counts from the trade deadline on. I really wish they would change that rule (or lack of one).

Next year, they are at $56.7M with 12 forwards, 6D and 2 goalies, and that lineup sheds the likes of Iginla, Morrow, Cooke, Kennedy, Dupuis and Adams among the forwards, and Murray and Eaton on D. That lineup is one injury (or sub-par goaltending) away from missing the playoffs.

I'm not suggesting they don't re-sign any of those players, for sure, but they have a little over $7M to re-sign Dupuis (on pace for 34G/65 pts in a full season), improve their D, fill out the roster with a 13th F and 7th D, and account for injuries. And the year after that they've got Kunitz, Sutter, Orpik and Letang and, oh yeah, Malkin -- all to be re-signed or replaced. All (except for Malkin) will need significant raises. They are going for it this year because they can see some lean years coming up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum