GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+16
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
tim1_2
SensHulk
spader
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
NEELY
wprager
sandysensfan
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

961NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Via Aaron Ward: NHLPA Executive Board and Negotiating Committee have a 4 PM (Eastern) conference call today. #TSN

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/status/273489075892281344

962NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:Also important to note, when filing for Decertification, one of the requirements is to show that you have attempted mediation. So, they are likely just going through the motions in order to get to the decertificaiton process.

Interesting that it's a prerequisite. I'm sure they're just threatening to decertify, just as much as the NHL isn't afraid of it.

I believe the NHL can also go nuclear and declare an impasse and simply impose a CBA and bring in replacement players and let the players individually decide whether they want to break with their union and cross the picket line.

Ha. I'm sure Hamrlik'd be there.

963NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:Also important to note, when filing for Decertification, one of the requirements is to show that you have attempted mediation. So, they are likely just going through the motions in order to get to the decertificaiton process.

Interesting that it's a prerequisite. I'm sure they're just threatening to decertify, just as much as the NHL isn't afraid of it.

I believe the NHL can also go nuclear and declare an impasse and simply impose a CBA and bring in replacement players and let the players individually decide whether they want to break with their union and cross the picket line.

They would have to have resorted to eating their own feces as I had predicted (hoped) first.

964NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NFL and NBA both had mediators with no success on their way to decertification... so I am now sure we'll see the NHL go that route soon enough... will the NHL owners react the same way the NBA and NFL owners did? Or will they stand their ground?

965NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Crosby moving closer to playing hockey overseas...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/11/27/hockey_hearsay/

It's always been thought that the contract insurance costs would be staggering... and the risks would be tremendous given his concussion history... if he does go overseas, you know the season is done.

966NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:So it starts... doesn't take people long.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Worlds-Biggest-Creep-Greatest-Liar-Will-Mediate-NHL-Disaster/134/47682

"Low and behold" Facepalm

I stopped reading right there.
Why?

Because I cringe when the English language is abused.
Ha! I've seen far worse abuse than that...

We all have.

967NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:So it starts... doesn't take people long.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Worlds-Biggest-Creep-Greatest-Liar-Will-Mediate-NHL-Disaster/134/47682

"Low and behold" Facepalm

I stopped reading right there.
Why?

Because I cringe when the English language is abused.

You should probably get off the internet then.

Yeah, probably. But what are the alternatives?

968NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Crosby moving closer to playing hockey overseas...

It's always been thought that the contract insurance costs would be staggering... and the risks would be tremendous given his concussion history... if he does go overseas, you know the season is done.

I still don't get that. Crosby is one player, not even the best player on his team, anymore. And he'd be back as soon as they were ready to drop the puck. And if he gets injured, overseas, how would that be any different from when he got injured over here? The league survived and had record revenues.

969NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:So, my prediction for the next week: this mediator group will get the two sides in rooms for a few days of "marathon" sessions. This will result in no movement by each side. Mediation will end and the NHLPA will go down the decertification route. That will take us to the Dec. 5th NHL BOG meeting which should be an interesting one by then.

Wake me when the NHLPA has filed for decertification.

If they apply to decertify then that should be a permanent decision. They should not be allowed to re-form a Union... They can't have it both ways.

970NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn't say that at all. He would just be like any other player taking an opportunity when it arises, and he hasn't played a ton in the last two years so he needs to play sometime. And the risks aren't any different than any other player, really.

971NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, my prediction for the next week: this mediator group will get the two sides in rooms for a few days of "marathon" sessions. This will result in no movement by each side. Mediation will end and the NHLPA will go down the decertification route. That will take us to the Dec. 5th NHL BOG meeting which should be an interesting one by then.

If they apply to decertify then that should be a permanent decision. They should not be allowed to re-form a Union... They can't have it both ways.

The owners are free to fold the league and start it back up again. Companies can go bankrupt and re-capitalize, leaving common shareholders and unsecured creditors holding the bag... Organizations have it both ways all the time. Cheering

972NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:

Yes, yes they can. Just like other sports unions did.

973NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

I still don't get that. Crosby is one player, not even the best player on his team, anymore. And he'd be back as soon as they were ready to drop the puck. And if he gets injured, overseas, how would that be any different from when he got injured over here? The league survived and had record revenues.
If Crosby suffered a career ending injury while playing overseas - say, a Pronger-like concussion, he could lose the rest of his NHL contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408578

So if a player suffers a career ending injury while playing abroad and that player therefore fails to deliver his services, a team could rely on Section 14 to cut him (or terminate his contract). If the team successfully terminates the contract, it wouldn't have to pay out what's left on the player's contract.

For Crosby, that's a LOT of money.

974NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I can't see him getting that contract insured anywhere.

The whole Crosby playing overseas is just an attempt at scare tactics by the PA, just like all these talks about decertification without any decertification vote actually taking place.

975NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:I can't see him getting that contract insured anywhere.

The whole Crosby playing overseas is just an attempt at scare tactics by the PA, just like all these talks about decertification without any decertification vote actually taking place.
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of it is all just posturing and trying to make the other side blink first. Problem is, we all know which side blinked first last time... so if the players are gonna go down this route, don't expect the owners to blink too soon...

976NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of it is all just posturing and trying to make the other side blink first. Problem is, we all know which side blinked first last time... so if the players are gonna go down this route, don't expect the owners to blink too soon...

The PA has Donald Fehr at the helm now and there's no Trevor Linden to go around his back so the PA thinks they're not blinking this time around.

977NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:

The PA has Donald Fehr at the helm now and there's no Trevor Linden to go around his back so the PA thinks they're not blinking this time around.
Heh. It may take longer to blink, but they will blink in the end, mark my words.

978NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Sidney Crosby signs in Europe I'm heading to wherever that is in December.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum