GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+16
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
tim1_2
SensHulk
spader
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
NEELY
wprager
sandysensfan
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

496NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I think some of the players are just kicking themselves they weren't represented by the same agent who drafted the Suter/Parise contracts. Those guys knew rollbacks were coming so they included ridiculous up-front bonuses. I don't think anyone will be able to convince me that those guys knew those contracts were drafted/signed with the full expectations of a significant rollback. Those are rollback- and lockout-proof contracts.

497NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:I think some of the players are just kicking themselves they weren't represented by the same agent who drafted the Suter/Parise contracts. Those guys knew rollbacks were coming so they included ridiculous up-front bonuses. I don't think anyone will be able to convince me that those guys knew those contracts were drafted/signed with the full expectations of a significant rollback. Those are rollback- and lockout-proof contracts.

Of course they knew that.... They are trying to hold out to try to lose as little as they can...

498NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I think it's an awful precedent if owners can sign large contracts and then take some of the money later. NHLPA is trying to put their foot down that the owners can lower their percentage if they want but they're not going to lower player contracts.

I don't think NFL or NBA cost players like money like Bettman tries to, talk about bush league.

499NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Sandy, the old contracts only make sense in the framework of the old CBA. They were never "guaranteed". The cap can be a hard cap or it can be one based on a share of revenues. It cannot be both, which is what the players appear to want.
I think they just want the old contracts grandfathered in under the old CBA, subject to the old escrow rules and not subject to any rollback/cuts.

Which is reasonable.
I think just about everyone understands that contracts were never guaranteed. I think this is the PAs way of making a gradual transition to 50/50 rather than an immediate drop in revenue share across the board.
The only non-guaranteed part is the escrow, which players are fine with as it was part of the CBA. It does offer a way to "bridge" the gap to 50/50. Hopefully both sides can find a way to make it work.

500NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

@tsnjamesduthie:

Got a package today from Alberta...A Flames sweater with a note asking me to forward the sweater and this letter:

http://t.co/hHvAdPt7

501NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Via Louis Jean: @LouisJean_TVA On the agenda for tomorrow : revenue sharing, make whole provision and player contracting.

https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/status/266365426487918592

Wasn't that supposed to be on the docket today?

At least they're meeting again tomorrow.

502NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Brief statements from the NHL and NHLPA tonight...

Don Fehr: “The NHLPA and the NHL met today to discuss many of the key issues. We look forward to resuming talks tomorrow.”

Bill Daly makes statement on the day's session. Confirms 2 sides met for over 5 hours...then won't comment on the content of the meeting.

Tight lipped...

503NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, Doug MacLean says he heard from an inside source that yesterday's session was deemed "a total waste of time" by some. Basically 7 hours talking about contract term and only that... and nothing solved. Simply circling around and not getting anywhere.

Hmmmm....

504NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:42 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger: One source says - way too early to think\say a deal is close to being done, however, others hint if today goes well agreement won't be far.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/266520291910483968

Heh. All this double speak is getting old...

505NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't believe anything we hear now. Both sides are going to downplay or misdirect.

Fehr mentioned that in baseball, one of the players got publicly overexcited that a deal was close and the owners pulled the deal off the table thinking the players had cracked.

506NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I love the silence.

507NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Via Louis Jean: @LouisJean_TVA On the agenda for tomorrow : revenue sharing, make whole provision and player contracting.

https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA/status/266365426487918592

Wasn't that supposed to be on the docket today?

At least they're meeting again tomorrow.

I know this was posted last night but I have to ask... by "tomorrow" you mean "today", right?

508NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes.

Puck drop tomorrow.

509NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:14 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Yes.

Puck drop tomorrow.

SWEET!!!

510NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

HC@Noon is suggesting the feeling in the room is that things are going very slowly and there is a lot of tension and they have not even tackled the elephant in the room with regards to the "make whole" provision.

The train of thought is that if they don't get any real traction this week, it's gonna all fall apart and get derailed with both sides checking out for a while.

That's not good.

511NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:33 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dreger: If NHL doesn't honour existing contracts and guarantee players $1.883 share there will be no deal anytime soon. Biggest day of negotiation.

512NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Dreger: If NHL doesn't honour existing contracts and guarantee players $1.883 share there will be no deal anytime soon. Biggest day of negotiation.

Yeah. I have a feeling that this gets settled around 11.30 tonight.

513NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Dreger: If NHL doesn't honour existing contracts and guarantee players $1.883 share there will be no deal anytime soon. Biggest day of negotiation.

Yeah. I have a feeling that this gets settled around 11.30 tonight.
Tonight?!?

Ahhhhh! Vertigo Ahhhhh! Vertigo Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum