GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's Talk

+2
Ev
spader
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Let's Talk Empty Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I wasn't sure where this fit, so I started a new thread. So much lives under the surface, and mental health impacts every interaction you have. It's great to see articles like this in the mainstream media. This article warms my heart a little bit. It's about a talk Mendes had with Simmer when their working relationship was getting strained.

As [the server] left the table to get our beers, Shawn began to speak. His voice was trembling and shaky – a far cry from the man who speaks with such enthusiasm and passion on the radio. He could barely get any words out, when he broke down and started to cry.
At that moment, I knew that our relationship was never going to be the same again.
http://www.tsn.ca/how-a-simple-conversation-with-my-co-host-changed-our-relationship-1.657122

2Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:30 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Interesting. I have first-hand stories about Simmer that I won't share, but I guess it relates to this.

3Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Interesting. I have first-hand stories about Simmer that I won't share, but I guess it relates to this.

That's probably best. There's probably very little value in sharing that.

4Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:31 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Great article by Mendes there. Nice to get some insight on Simpson...I often complain about how he's all over the map, and so it's good to hear that it is being worked on.

5Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i still don't respect him, but I guess it's cool if he's working on his issues.

Still don't get why he always says he's a recovering alcoholic but then talks about having pints and wine

6Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:55 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Interesting. I have first-hand stories about Simmer that I won't share, but I guess it relates to this.

Flat cap? Really?!

7Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

He never talks about being a recovering alcoholic. Maybe you are thinking of drugs.

8Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good read. People like being judgmental about people's personal life when it's hard to know what people have gone through.it doesn't excuse behaviour but it can change minds

9Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Simmer had an article or interview a while back (couple years, at least) where he openly discussed all of this (his divorce, living out of his car, moving back to Ottawa to live with his parents, the radio station throwing him the lifeline). I read it, wonder why Mendes never did. Could have saved himself a lot of aggravation.

10Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Simmer had an article or interview a while back (couple years, at least) where he openly discussed all of this (his divorce, living out of his car, moving back to Ottawa to live with his parents, the radio station throwing him the lifeline).  I read it, wonder why Mendes never did. Could have saved himself a lot of aggravation.

Yeah I didn't want to say that Mendes is just rehashing what we already knew but congrats to him for all the praise he's getting, I guess?

11Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Are you saying Mendes should have spent some time in Bingo?

12Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:49 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Simmer had an article or interview a while back (couple years, at least) where he openly discussed all of this (his divorce, living out of his car, moving back to Ottawa to live with his parents, the radio station throwing him the lifeline).  I read it, wonder why Mendes never did. Could have saved himself a lot of aggravation.

Yeah I didn't want to say that Mendes is just rehashing what we already knew but congrats to him for all the praise he's getting, I guess?

Mendes's point isn't that Simmer has mental health problems. It's that by listening to his story and understanding where he's coming from, they have a better personal and professional relationship.

13Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I understand. It's just of that he didn't "listen" earlier when Summer basically told everyone in Ottawa.

14Let's Talk Empty Re: Let's Talk Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That's true eh prager. At the end of the day, no matter your background, if you continue to be a Richard nobody will want to work with you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum