GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY - Pittsburgh Penguins @ Ottawa Senators, Saturday, Mar. 24, 2012

+13
Ev
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
tim1_2
dennycrane
Hoags
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
Riprock
sens4win
PTFlea
sandysensfan
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

One does not simply take out Lundqvist because of injury

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:One does not simply take out Lundqvist because of injury

Hope you're wrong. And I hope it's because of a cross check to the windpipe by an Ottawa Senator. Beer

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
They don't need goalie depth when they have amazing all-star goalies like Fleury and Lundqvist.

Until you overwork them and they pop their groin out.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
They don't need goalie depth when they have amazing all-star goalies like Fleury and Lundqvist.

Lundqvist has missed like 7 games due to injury in his entire career.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

And how many did Brodeur miss until he hurt his biceps? He went from playing over 70 games for over a decade to just 31 games that season, then 56 the next season and 56 (to date) this year.

Lundqvist played 73 games two seasons ago, 68 last year and he won't play more than 62 this year (62 is if he plays all 6 remaining games). Is that because Biron is such a reliable backup?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

And -- just to play devil's advocate here -- how many playoff series has he won again? Sarcasm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

And how many did Brodeur miss until he hurt his biceps? He went from playing over 70 games for over a decade to just 31 games that season, then 56 the next season and 56 (to date) this year.

Lundqvist played 73 games two seasons ago, 68 last year and he won't play more than 62 this year (62 is if he plays all 6 remaining games). Is that because Biron is such a reliable backup?

If I really have to explain why he is playing less this year then I think you're watching the wrong sport.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Because they got a good backup?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Because they got a good backup?

Marty Biron FTW!

No, seriously, I can understand the need to not overwork your workhorse, but 62 is quite low for a top-five league-wide. Elliott is the anomaly (35 games and 8 shutouts -- that's *never* been done, btw).

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I forget the exact numbers but the last few years, the four goalies who were in the conference finals tended to average about 55 games each. The argument is likely that teams with rested goalies have done better than teams with superstar goalies, though last year trended back towards the superstar goalie.

2011 Final 4 Goalies: Thomas, Luongo, Roloson, Niemi
2010 Final 4 Goalies: Niemi, Leighton, Halak, Nabokov

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Because they got a good backup?

Marty Biron FTW!

No, seriously, I can understand the need to not overwork your workhorse, but 62 is quite low for a top-five league-wide. Elliott is the anomaly (35 games and 8 shutouts -- that's *never* been done, btw).

It appears to me that you can't.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do you guys even know what you're arguing about anymore?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

dennycrane wrote:I forget the exact numbers but the last few years, the four goalies who were in the conference finals tended to average about 55 games each. The argument is likely that teams with rested goalies have done better than teams with superstar goalies, though last year trended back towards the superstar goalie.

Who cares about the Conference Finals. In the *Real* Finals they had Luongo and Thomas, who are both 70+ start goalies. The teams that rely on their #1 to get them far in the playoffs don't necessarily win (Thomas, last year, may have been a bit of an anomaly). Hakws won with a good (not great) goalie; Detroit has done it several times; Pittsburgh's Cup had more to do with Crosby, Malkin, Staal and a very solid D-corps than it did with MAF. Brodeur is an interesting case. Some here think his tires have been inflated way past their ratings by having a an All Star defense in front of him, playing a hugely defensive style instituted by the Trap King himself.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I forget the exact numbers but the last few years, the four goalies who were in the conference finals tended to average about 55 games each. The argument is likely that teams with rested goalies have done better than teams with superstar goalies, though last year trended back towards the superstar goalie.

Who cares about the Conference Finals. In the *Real* Finals they had Luongo and Thomas, who are both 70+ start goalies. The teams that rely on their #1 to get them far in the playoffs don't necessarily win (Thomas, last year, may have been a bit of an anomaly). Hakws won with a good (not great) goalie; Detroit has done it several times; Pittsburgh's Cup had more to do with Crosby, Malkin, Staal and a very solid D-corps than it did with MAF. Brodeur is an interesting case. Some here think his tires have been inflated way past their ratings by having a an All Star defense in front of him, playing a hugely defensive style instituted by the Trap King himself.

Think again.

Thomas started 55 games last year. Luongo started 60.

and MAF continues to get no creditor what he has done in a Pens uniform.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, Thomas has never played 70+. In fact he only went over 60 one year (06/07). Boston has the fellow by the name of Rask, who is quite good, and they've been adamant about not overworking Thomas.

Luongo played 60 games last year.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thomas has started in 51 games this season, and played in 55. With 7 games left for them to play in the season, he may crack the 60 game mark if he starts every game from here on in. Fleury has started in 59 games and played in 62. Pitt also have 7 games left.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
Think again.

I'm personally finally ready to credit him as a top goalie. I needed a lot of convincing - something that I'm sure plagued MAF at night - but I'm finally there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Think again.

I'm personally finally ready to credit him as a top goalie. I needed a lot of convincing - something that I'm sure plagued MAF at night - but I'm finally there.

Well geeze louise, the guy was picked first over-freaking-all. He *should be* a top goalie or he is a total bust relative to his draft position. But with that lineup, Gerber or Emery would have had a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum