GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will the Sens be "all-in" on Zach Parise?

+17
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
NEELY
Ev
wprager
stempniaksen
spader
Flo The Action
SensHulk
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
tim1_2
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
PTFlea
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I would not trade for him

Not even if he was signed?

it's actually the 1st that bothers me more then Zib. I too think zib could turn out to be a fisher type player. now as a winger that could be interesting.
it really depends with our 1st rounder where we sit. if we're fringe playoff we could possibly bomb downwards after the trade deadline. giving up a top 10 pick doesn't sound good to me.

Ya, with a top-10 pick, you might get lucky and pick a Parise-type player. Sarcasm
wel... ya! but without the huge price tag. I know this is dreaming but i'm still hoping we draft fosberg this upcoming draft. I'm kind of hoping he falls a bit in the ranking if some of these D.men can rise a little.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:

it's actually the 1st that bothers me more then Zib. I too think zib could turn out to be a fisher type player. now as a winger that could be interesting.
it really depends with our 1st rounder where we sit. if we're fringe playoff we could possibly bomb downwards after the trade deadline. giving up a top 10 pick doesn't sound good to me.

Ya, with a top-10 pick, you might get lucky and pick a Parise-type player. Sarcasm
wel... ya! but without the huge price tag. I know this is dreaming but i'm still hoping we draft fosberg this upcoming draft. I'm kind of hoping he falls a bit in the ranking if some of these D.men can rise a little.

Ha. I'll take the safe option and trade for a signed Parise. Every time.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:

OR...we could wait till Free agency period and not give up jack Dung to get him Smile

I know the odds are much lower for that to happen, but I'd say it's about the same to trade for a 'signed' parise. Why would NJ do that? If we want him just for a rental...then that trade makes no sense.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:

OR...we could wait till Free agency period and not give up jack Dung to get him Smile

I know the odds are much lower for that to happen, but I'd say it's about the same to trade for a 'signed' parise. Why would NJ do that? If we want him just for a rental...then that trade makes no sense.

NJD wouldn't make the trade. I'm just saying, if they ever made that offer, BM wouldn't even think about it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

is it tempering if we try and trade for a signed parise and if they accept we back out at the last second(so we know he might want to be a sens) Sarcasm

I'd be much more inclined to take my chances with him in free agency. There's always the possibility that we trade for him and he becomes unhappy in Ottawa, and since he had no stay in coming here, that's certainly not out of the question. At least with free agency if he signs here you know he wants to be here (because his last name isn't Kovalev.) Plus, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'd trade for him without a long term deal in place.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't think you can make a deal without him signing first if you're Ottawa, just too big a risk.

SpezDispenser wrote:I don't think you can make a deal without him signing first if you're Ottawa, just too big a risk.

Yeah, hence there is only one option. Roll the dice on July 1 when he can sign anywhere.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I don't think you can make a deal without him signing first if you're Ottawa, just too big a risk.

Yeah, hence there is only one option. Roll the dice on July 1 when he can sign anywhere.

Basically, but there's also an outside chance of NJ letting a team negotiate and upping the price.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Parise and Suter are best friends and just happen to both be UFA's. The Sens on the other hand are one of the only teams to have enough cap space to sign them both and still be under the cap, and who actually have an owner willing to spend.

I wasn't a fan of the quick turnaround rebuild, but getting those two guys would be a no-brainer and would make us potential contenders as soon as next year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

stempniaksen wrote:Parise and Suter are best friends and just happen to both be UFA's. The Sens on the other hand are one of the only teams to have enough cap space to sign them both and still be under the cap, and who actually have an owner willing to spend.

I wasn't a fan of the quick turnaround rebuild, but getting those two guys would be a no-brainer and would make us potential contenders as soon as next year.

The Sens have 13 players under contract next year with $28M in cap room. It would take more than $7M each to get those two to come to Ottawa, plus Karlsson will be in that range as well. So $21-23 of that cap room is gone, and you'd still be short two forwards, one defenseman and a backup goalie. Folilgno should be one of those forwards, and he's due a raise, probably $2.5M, if he continues his strong play. That leaves $2.5-3.5M for another forward, a defenseman and a backup. And that's without carrying a 7th D or a 13th F. And if Alfie retires his cap hit is still on the books and we need another forward.

Clearly some salary would have to go the other way, the most obvious choice being Gonchar.

Then in 2013 you have Turris getting a substantial raise (assuming he plays well enough to keep that 2LC), and most of our bottom six would have had raises by then (unless we bring up more rookies and part ways with the likes of Winchester, Daugavins, Neil, Butler, Regin, Smith, Condra). And in 2014 Cowen will be due a big raise.

It's do-able (provided we can move Gonchar's salary) but it certainly makes you wonder about the cap structure of the team going forward. Can you afford to have 3 stud defensemen (as in making in the $7M range), and two stud forwards, or would you rather have two stud D and 3 stud forwards? Let's also not forget the stud goalie, but that's not for 2-3 years yet.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, if we somehow wind up with Suter and Parise, that'd be hilarious. I can't see committing the $$$ required, long-term, for both as we have certain young players that will require new contracts soon...and there's always the uncertainty of the CBA.

That said, I am fairly confident that we'll be in on Parise (should he make it to free agency), and maybe Suter as well/instead. Either guy would be a great fit for any team in the league, Ottawa included.

I think it's more likely that Parise makes it to free agency. I can see Nashville retaining Weber (he is an RFA), and trading away Suter either before the trade deadline, or trading his rights before free agency. I can't see Nashville committing long term to both guys.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Obviously it's a masive pipedream, but if they really wanted to end up playing together than the Sens would be one of the leading options. I think they both end up re-signing with their respective clubs though to be honest, since guys of that ilk rarely hit the market.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:Obviously it's a masive pipedream, but if they really wanted to end up playing together than the Sens would be one of the leading options. I think they both end up re-signing with their respective clubs though to be honest, since guys of that ilk rarely hit the market.

Every individual case is unique with a different set of circumstances. In New Jersey's case, they will have cap space available, needing to sign 6 or 7 players for $24M. With them, it might come down to Parise's desire to stay in NJ. The future is kind of muddled in Jersey, with Brodeur coming to retirement, and EVERY forward other than Kovalchuk becoming a UFA/RFA within the next two years.

Nashville is always a "budget" team, not a "cap" team, and it's impossible to imagine them shelling out the bucks required for both Weber and Suter unless they dramatically increase their budget. Also, you have to question if Suter would want to stay in Nashville long-term, in Weber's shadow.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

stempniaksen wrote:The Sens on the other hand are one of the only teams to have enough cap space to sign them both and still be under the cap, and who actually have an owner willing to spend.

Do we really have an owner willing to spend ? While he spent $5M on a new scoreboard he wouldn't take on Brassard's $3.2M contract.

We probably won't be spending much beyond re-signing EK for the next while.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:The Sens on the other hand are one of the only teams to have enough cap space to sign them both and still be under the cap, and who actually have an owner willing to spend.

Do we really have an owner willing to spend ? While he spent $5M on a new scoreboard he wouldn't take on Brassard's $3.2M contract.

Yes, we clearly have an owner willing to spend assuming he thinks that we have a legit shot at the Stanley Cup. It's only natural that we'd be on a budget in the years where we are rebuilding and attendance has dropped (last year, not sure about attendance this year).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Yes, we clearly have an owner willing to spend assuming he thinks that we have a legit shot at the Stanley Cup. It's only natural that we'd be on a budget in the years where we are rebuilding and attendance has dropped (last year, not sure about attendance this year).

From Dan Seguin twitter yesterday: #Sens attendance up 7% so far this year from last year. Fewer than 6,500 tickets remaining for the clubs next 7 home games.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:

Yes, if it's for a piece like Parise or Suter (or both), yes he will.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum