GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm by SensGirl11

SpezDispenser wrote:Stop dreaming, you're not getting RNH and Landeskog. Right now we'll be lucky to get one of those guys. What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens? - Page 7 54934

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens? - Page 7 Dare-to-dream

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm by Hoags

Julien Brisebois sounds intriguing.

I imagine we'd need the Habs consent ?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:56 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:Julien Brisebois sounds intriguing.

I imagine we'd need the Habs consent ?

Not sure, I assume so, but this will be the kind of opportunity where he'd quit if they said no.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm by Hoags

SpezDispenser wrote:
Not sure, I assume so, but this will be the kind of opportunity where he'd quit if they said no.

Absolutely, I'm excited at some of the names being floated around. As long as it's not McGuire or MacLean.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:02 pm by PTFlea

He just got hired by the Lightning in the off-season to be assistant GM. We'll be taking him if we feel the need, okay Stevie?

shabbs

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 pm by shabbs

Pierre and Hextall as co-GMs.

Let the madness begin!!!!

Wink

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 pm by PTFlea

shabbs wrote:Pierre and Hextall as co-GMs.

Let the madness begin!!!!

Wink

Haha, that would be entertaining.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 pm by Hoags

SpezDispenser wrote:He just got hired by the Lightning in the off-season to be assistant GM. We'll be taking him if we feel the need, okay Stevie?

aww crap I doubt he'd want to leave, working with Stevie Y has to be an honor.

22_4_ever

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm by 22_4_ever

SpezDispenser wrote:Murray to reporters: Rundblad is the priority to make the NHL over Cowen.

Murray never said he was a priority over Cowen. That statement much like anything spoken can be taken out of context. He said that Rundblad was the priority player, when talking about his position on the Swedish U20 team when playing with Karlsson and a couple of others...He never specifically said that Rundbald was a priority over Cowen.

The recording that senschirp linked is a great listen...about 2/3 of the way through Murray started to go through about 6 or 7 players (starting with dmen and then working his way to forwards) of players in the system who could be in Ottawa next year and their plans for the remaining of the year. In a response to a question about forwards he mentions giving s look up here at guys like Greening and Condra. He gives a good idea of players who you can see before the end of the year..

That's the sort of thing as a season ticket holder that excites me getting a chance to see young players and who may be the future of our team.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:23 pm by PTFlea

I understood it to be a priority to fit Runblad on the team - even over Cowen, but I was reading the transcript, I'll try to listen to his actual comments soon.

22_4_ever

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm by 22_4_ever

SpezDispenser wrote:I understood it to be a priority to fit Runblad on the team - even over Cowen, but I was reading the transcript, I'll try to listen to his actual comments soon.

I'm not saying you're wrong...just when listening to the recording he definitely doesn't make the comment with a direct reference to Cowen. The comment is spread out quite a bit from his comments on Cowen.

With that said, the recording...all of it is a great listen.. At one point I believe Dave Schreiber starts to go through some players and one un-recognizable reporter tries to say Patrick Wiercioch (spelling?) and totally butchers his name...thank got Schreiber cut him off with the proper pronunciation. It was both funny and pathetic...if you're a reporter covering this team at least know the future player names before asking questions...that is unless they decide to change how to say it mid year...remember Nekar...no no..you're saying it wrong..it's Netscache....HUH?

spader

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm by spader

SpezDispenser wrote:I understood it to be a priority to fit Runblad on the team - even over Cowen, but I was reading the transcript, I'll try to listen to his actual comments soon.

Where do you get the transcript?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:51 pm by PTFlea

spader wrote:

Can't find it now, but someone on HF just broke it down line for line.

SDH89

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm by SDH89

SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

I listened to the interview, and to me he didn't really say that Rundblad was the priority ahead of Cowen either. Exciting that he'll most likely crack the line-up next year though, should be interesting to watch.

spader

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm by spader

SDH89 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

I listened to the interview, and to me he didn't really say that Rundblad was the priority ahead of Cowen either. Exciting that he'll most likely crack the line-up next year though, should be interesting to watch.

I agree. This is what I got regarding prospects.
Cowen: Will play with the big club next year and will be a solid defensive defenseman. Points won’t be a priority for him. By December will be a good regular player.
Rundblad: Will step in right away to the NHL and will produce. He is a top priority.
Weircioch: Needs to put on 10 pounds. Not getting a lot of minutes in the AHL but will be better in this league than in the A. May or may not move up next year, but will be a contender to move up.
Gryba: Most improved player in B-Town. Better skating, better positioning. He will be an NHL player.
Greening: Has made great strides. Much improved physically. Playing much better. Should come up for a look this year.
Condra: Skating not there yet, but a good player. Will come up for a look this year. Great head and hands.
Might have to try to find another forward in Free Agency. Will plug holes with a combination of those listed above.

Ev

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm by Ev

LOL he's acting like he thinks he's the GM next season Laugh1

22_4_ever

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm by 22_4_ever

Big Ev wrote:LOL he's acting like he thinks he's the GM next season Laugh1

I'm guessing you've got inside information that he isn't. I think it would be unprofessional if he acted any other way, even if he knew he wasn't going to be the GM (whether it's his choice or not).

Ev

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm by Ev

I know, I'm just kidding around.

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum