GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm by Ev

LOL he's acting like he thinks he's the GM next season Laugh1

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm by 22_4_ever

Big Ev wrote:LOL he's acting like he thinks he's the GM next season Laugh1

I'm guessing you've got inside information that he isn't. I think it would be unprofessional if he acted any other way, even if he knew he wasn't going to be the GM (whether it's his choice or not).

Ev

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm by Ev

I know, I'm just kidding around.

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:26 pm by sandysensfan

Murray said that Cowen & Rundblad will be on the Sens next season. He realizes there will be mistakes made by them.. but they will get better as the season progresses.

So my vision for defense:

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Cowen
Campoli - Rundblad
7th D is Carkner

Kuba gone..

Forwards is another matter. Murray mentioned a lot of the prospects will get a shot at making the team. So I think they plan on moving quite a few forwards. Question is who? This is a lineup that I consider -- but the parts may move around. I've kept most of the existing forwards in my selections.

Free Agent - Spezza - Michalek
Landeskog - Fisher - Alfie
Butler - Kelly - Greening
Foligno - Winchester - Z Smith

Regin? Not too sure what to do with him.

Free Agent Goaltending
Elliott

Not too high a cap team there.

The free agent will have to be a good scorer to play with Spezza. But other than Richards & Semin there really are no true snipers in the FA pool this summer. Those 2 are not coming to Ottawa.

The other way is to get players from 'cap-strapped' teams. But they usually keep their best players.. but you never know.

The 3 teams below the Sens in the standings are catching up quickly.. given the last 12 games has mostly been losses -- I think 4 out of a possible 24 pts? (not sure if I'm correct on the math or no but not off by much).

Let's face it.. Ottawa has a chance at the top 3 if not top 2 pick. Landeskog is a possibility or RHN, Couturier.

Goaltending is staying as it is for this season ... that means losses folks.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:39 pm by SensHulk

Cowen and rundblad eh? Sounds plausible...particularly if campo and phillips are gone. However, wouldn't we wanna keep campoli?

I think management may have made the decision that Kuba is not going to be around next season. If we can trade him, great! If not, then I think the sens bury him in the minors or hope for re-entry pickup

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:41 pm by PTFlea

SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I understood it to be a priority to fit Runblad on the team - even over Cowen, but I was reading the transcript, I'll try to listen to his actual comments soon.

Where do you get the transcript?

Can't find it now, but someone on HF just broke it down line for line.

Yeah, I just listened to it, not sure why Cowen was in the conversation there. Sounds like he expects Cowen + Rundblad + another three or four minimum to make it our of camp. Silfverberg maybe?

I wondered why he would say that with Cowen having a killer year.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 pm by PTFlea

The biggest question right now - besides what superstar winger we can get - is who is gonna be the goaltender next year? Because the mistakes that Cowen and Rundblad - especially Rundblad - will be massive and we'll need a top tiered goalie to keep it from being horrible.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm by SensHulk

SpezDispenser wrote:The biggest question right now - besides what superstar winger we can get - is who is gonna be the goaltender next year? Because the mistakes that Cowen and Rundblad - especially Rundblad - will be massive and we'll need a top tiered goalie to keep it from being horrible.

yes...this is why we need to shell out some big $$ for Bryz if he's free

spader

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm by spader

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:The biggest question right now - besides what superstar winger we can get - is who is gonna be the goaltender next year? Because the mistakes that Cowen and Rundblad - especially Rundblad - will be massive and we'll need a top tiered goalie to keep it from being horrible.

I can't tell you how much I want Bryz for the Sens. Vokoun is great, but Bryz is in another class, IMO. Whether or not he's free and is willing to move to Ottawa, I don't know. Point is, he's amazing.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:00 pm by PTFlea

Michallica wrote:

We have the money, we have the cap space, we have an attractive location with a young, vibrant D (soon). There is simply no excuse for the Sens not to get an All-Star for their net.

Bryz, Vokoun, maybe Anderson, Tim Thomas if the Bs move him. Get us a ****ing All-Star in net!

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:18 pm by SensHulk

It may be over the top, but I think the sens should at all costs offer a 3 year $18M contract to Bryz if he hits UFA. That is probably the only way to get a vezina nominee to ottawa...the 2nd worst offence in the league.

Question is.....is it worth it? For 3 years? And possible taking cap space away from signing other UFAs? Murray identified a need to sign a forward this july, but nothing on goalies....really hope he's not intending on using Lehner next season

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:22 pm by PTFlea

Michallica wrote:It may be over the top, but I think the sens should at all costs offer a 3 year $18M contract to Bryz if he hits UFA. That is probably the only way to get a vezina nominee to ottawa...the 2nd worst offence in the league.

Question is.....is it worth it? For 3 years? And possible taking cap space away from signing other UFAs? Murray identified a need to sign a forward this july, but nothing on goalies....really hope he's not intending on using Lehner next season

3 years, 18 sounds good to me. Let's do it (please).

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm by SensGirl11

I'd rather move along from Elliott now, he's had such bad luck here and we rushed him too quickly and it's just all bad now. He needs a change of scenery as much as we need a new goalie.

FA
Brust

that's my vote and I'm sticking to it!!

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm by PTFlea

SensGirl11 wrote:I'd rather move along from Elliott now, he's had such bad luck here and we rushed him too quickly and it's just all bad now. He needs a change of scenery as much as we need a new goalie.

FA
Brust

that's my vote and I'm sticking to it!!

What's wrong with Elliott getting backup duties to a top goalie? We just want to avoid him playing any more than 30 games. If Brust is a *lot* cheaper, then maybe, but as of now, I think we could be fine with Elliott - heck, no goalie could have survived this year in Ottawa, although Elliott has been pretty bad.

CockRoche

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 pm by CockRoche

SensGirl11 wrote:I'd rather move along from Elliott now, he's had such bad luck here and we rushed him too quickly and it's just all bad now. He needs a change of scenery as much as we need a new goalie.

Rushed Elliott to quickly?

Holy dung! How do you feel about Lehner?

Elliott is a different pedigree from Lehner and your can't really compare that two like that anyway, but still, I had to ask.

CockRoche

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:41 pm by CockRoche

I guess I should give my opinion on Elliott now and say that he was not rushed in anyway; his timelines are decent age-wise. He could definitely have used more minor-pro experience, but meh.

Elliott just doesn't have the capabilities right now to handle the position Ottawa and Leclaire forced upon him. He is still young, still a proven winner and very mature; but currently and maybe never a #1 goalie in the NHL.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm by PTFlea

Maybe not rushed, but circumstances made Elliott a number one in front of a disgusting D - and now he's been damaged and needs a lot of work to work himself back up IMO.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:47 pm by Hoags

Lots of goalies have gotten a chance like Elliott and ran with it eventually replacing the #1 goalie.

Like CR says he's not a #1 NHL goalie now and may never be one.

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum