GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

- Unknown Author
Share this post on: reddit

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am by Cap'n Clutch

On second thought I'd like to see Cowen in place of an FA D man and Campoli shift up to top 4. I'd also like to see Fisher moved if possible and get someone better suited for top six.

So this top six:
FA forward - Spezza - Foligno
Alfie - trade acquisition - Michalek

Defense of:
Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Campoli
Carkner - Cowen
Lee

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 am by PTFlea

I'd gauge offers on Phillips, if I couldn't get the 1st rounder or the blue chip forward prospect for him, I'd try to re-sign him @ 3 X 3 - well below his market value. I'd try to move Kuba to anyone interested and that would intensify in the summer. I'd probably re-sign Campoli, depending on what he'd take. A little below 2 million and I'm in, anything else and I'd probably try to move him after qualifying.

Fisher's probably someone we can re-tool with, he's only got 2 more years anyway, perhaps I'd try to move him in his final year instead of now.

Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, Kelly, Neil, Winchester, Z.Smith, Regin, Foligno all stay - although, if Foligno is needed to get someone for line one, then I'd think about it.

In the off-season, I'd scour the trade market for the Briere's of the NHL, guys who are excellent players who may not fit in with their current team because of cap issues. If I couldn't find the right fit, I'd pocket the cap space and try to fill from within (Butler, Silfverberg, Greening, O'Brien etc.)

The D is where we'd suffer with me as GM because there's a 50/50 that Phillips is gone, I'd absolutely move Kuba as well, so two big vets gone, replaced by Cowen and a cheap stop-gap - unless my guys say that Rundblad or another D-man is ready for prime time.

After much thought, I'd go after a 1A goalie - preferably via trade so I wouldn't have to negotiate a long term with Lehner readying. I'd examine the prospects of Anderson, Vokoun etc, but they'd be likely to look for 4-6 year contracts, and I don't want to do that.

I'd wait to see what coaches were available in the off-season, unfortunately Clouston hasn't shown enough for me to keep him on.

Number Twenty Nine

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 am by Number Twenty Nine

if we get no value for Phillips at the deadline, we sign him to ONE YEAR with the understanding that he gets a 2 yr extention in Jan 2012 depending on his play uo to that point. That's the only way to know if this year's been an anomaly or if he really is starting to suck large.

SDH89

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:00 pm by SDH89

Cap'n Clutch wrote:On second thought I'd like to see Cowen in place of an FA D man and Campoli shift up to top 4. I'd also like to see Fisher moved if possible and get someone better suited for top six.

So this top six:
FA forward - Spezza - Foligno
Alfie - trade acquisition - Michalek

Defense of:
Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Campoli
Carkner - Cowen
Lee

Some interesting points here, but quite frankly our blueline this year is atrocious. It's not magically going to get better by dropping a rookie Cowen into the line-up in the place of Kuba.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:08 pm by Hoags

SDH89 wrote:
Some interesting points here, but quite frankly our blueline this year is atrocious. It's not magically going to get better by dropping a rookie Cowen into the line-up in the place of Kuba.

Well Cowen would more physical than Kuba and would probably cause the same amount of giveaways.

It's hard to imagine a worse D-man than Kuba, he's fallen off a cliff and sinking into the Earth's core.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm by SensHulk

you look at winning teams right now and alot of them did what they HAD to do. An example would be new york burying Redden in the minors, Hawks burying huet, etc. I would be absolutely floored if the senators start next season with Filip Kuba on board. IMO, you try to trade this guy over the summer with as much effort as possible. 1 year remaining on the contract, you could automatically have some 'buyers' but if that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that is to bury Kuba in the minors and use that cap space if it already isn't being used.

That being said, I really feel ottawa needs to go out and sign a bryzgalov or vokoun over the summer to a 3-4 year contract. Enough cap space to do it. Realistically, we can't get a brad richards but if we could, it would automatically help in re-tooling this franchise at an accelerated rate.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 pm by Hoags

Melnyk wouldn't pay for Cheechoo to play in the minors, I doubt he'd do the same for Kuba.

Probably a higher chance they buy him out if they cant trade him.

wprager

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 pm by wprager

Our D is atrocious because Phillips and Gonchar have sucked beyond human comprehension, and because Kuba broke his leg in the first on-ice practice. Cowen *will be* better than Kuba is now (hell, *Lee* is better, now). Phillips has to play better. Gonchar is known for taking a season to get to know the new team/system.

It's not magic.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 pm by SensHulk

also, re-sign Campoli, Elliott, Smith, Butler, and if possible Phillips

Trade/get rid of by deadline: kovalev, leclaire, ruutu, shannon, phillips (if too good of an offer)

Cowen, Rundblad, Gryba, Weircioch battle out for the opening on D. If one doesn't work out, cycle them out with bingo. I could definitely see a frequent callup for 2-3 of these guys.

finally, keep lehner the Cuss in bingo. do NOT re-sign brodeur, but re-sign brust. Ells will hopefully finally backup a true number one goalie (Cuss off leclaire)

ddt

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:45 pm by ddt

Michallica wrote:you look at winning teams right now and alot of them did what they HAD to do. An example would be new york burying Redden in the minors, Hawks burying huet, etc. I would be absolutely floored if the senators start next season with Filip Kuba on board. IMO, you try to trade this guy over the summer with as much effort as possible. 1 year remaining on the contract, you could automatically have some 'buyers' but if that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that is to bury Kuba in the minors and use that cap space if it already isn't being used.

That being said, I really feel ottawa needs to go out and sign a bryzgalov or vokoun over the summer to a 3-4 year contract. Enough cap space to do it. Realistically, we can't get a brad richards but if we could, it would automatically help in re-tooling this franchise at an accelerated rate.

I like the way you think, rely on UFA signings to help make the team better, since it has worked so wonderfully well with Kovalev and Gonchar.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm by SensHulk

Hoags wrote:Melnyk wouldn't pay for Cheechoo to play in the minors, I doubt he'd do the same for Kuba.

Probably a higher chance they buy him out if they cant trade him.

Yeah I get that, and I think it was a mistake to do that. Yeah I get that its not my money and whatever but our 'cap issues' seem to have really held us back in terms of calling up replacement players and what not. Now its going to be a much higher cap hit next season for cheechoo buyout.....just pathetic. Its probably time to bury a contract if need be. Enough of the handcuffs and anchors

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm by PTFlea

From here on out we need to keep an ear to the ground for youngish talent to fill out the roster. Briere's not exactly a spring chicken, but he's also not getting to 35+.

Leino would be a nice acquisition. Just try to stay away from the 48 point guys, even if they have 25+ goals, we need a point producer, sniper, everything.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm by SensHulk

ddt wrote:
Michallica wrote:you look at winning teams right now and alot of them did what they HAD to do. An example would be new york burying Redden in the minors, Hawks burying huet, etc. I would be absolutely floored if the senators start next season with Filip Kuba on board. IMO, you try to trade this guy over the summer with as much effort as possible. 1 year remaining on the contract, you could automatically have some 'buyers' but if that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that is to bury Kuba in the minors and use that cap space if it already isn't being used.

I like the way you think, rely on UFA signings to help make the team better, since it has worked so wonderfully well with Kovalev and Gonchar.

any of Richards, vokoun, bryz >>> gonch and kovalev. come on read my post after where I said that if we can't get any of these guys, then we shoudln't dish out anymore multi year contracts for the leftovers. goalie would be great since we need someone to help out lehner...he's not ready for next season.

ddt

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 pm by ddt

Michallica wrote:
ddt wrote:

No team has ever been built using UFA signings. Those are for teams that are 1-2 pieces away from doing serious damage. We, on the other hand, have very few worthwhile pieces.

Unless of course your model is the late 90's/early 2000's Leafs, and your objective is to finish 9th in the conference every year.

any of Richards, vokoun, bryz >>> gonch and kovalev. come on read my post after where I said that if we can't get any of these guys, then we shoudln't dish out anymore multi year contracts for the leftovers. goalie would be great since we need someone to help out lehner...he's not ready for next season.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum