GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:48 pm by PTFlea

From here on out we need to keep an ear to the ground for youngish talent to fill out the roster. Briere's not exactly a spring chicken, but he's also not getting to 35+.

Leino would be a nice acquisition. Just try to stay away from the 48 point guys, even if they have 25+ goals, we need a point producer, sniper, everything.

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm by SensHulk

ddt wrote:
Michallica wrote:you look at winning teams right now and alot of them did what they HAD to do. An example would be new york burying Redden in the minors, Hawks burying huet, etc. I would be absolutely floored if the senators start next season with Filip Kuba on board. IMO, you try to trade this guy over the summer with as much effort as possible. 1 year remaining on the contract, you could automatically have some 'buyers' but if that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that is to bury Kuba in the minors and use that cap space if it already isn't being used.

That being said, I really feel ottawa needs to go out and sign a bryzgalov or vokoun over the summer to a 3-4 year contract. Enough cap space to do it. Realistically, we can't get a brad richards but if we could, it would automatically help in re-tooling this franchise at an accelerated rate.

I like the way you think, rely on UFA signings to help make the team better, since it has worked so wonderfully well with Kovalev and Gonchar.

any of Richards, vokoun, bryz >>> gonch and kovalev. come on read my post after where I said that if we can't get any of these guys, then we shoudln't dish out anymore multi year contracts for the leftovers. goalie would be great since we need someone to help out lehner...he's not ready for next season.

ddt

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 pm by ddt

Michallica wrote:
ddt wrote:
Michallica wrote:you look at winning teams right now and alot of them did what they HAD to do. An example would be new york burying Redden in the minors, Hawks burying huet, etc. I would be absolutely floored if the senators start next season with Filip Kuba on board. IMO, you try to trade this guy over the summer with as much effort as possible. 1 year remaining on the contract, you could automatically have some 'buyers' but if that doesn't work, you gotta do what you gotta do, and that is to bury Kuba in the minors and use that cap space if it already isn't being used.

That being said, I really feel ottawa needs to go out and sign a bryzgalov or vokoun over the summer to a 3-4 year contract. Enough cap space to do it. Realistically, we can't get a brad richards but if we could, it would automatically help in re-tooling this franchise at an accelerated rate.

No team has ever been built using UFA signings. Those are for teams that are 1-2 pieces away from doing serious damage. We, on the other hand, have very few worthwhile pieces.

Unless of course your model is the late 90's/early 2000's Leafs, and your objective is to finish 9th in the conference every year.
I like the way you think, rely on UFA signings to help make the team better, since it has worked so wonderfully well with Kovalev and Gonchar.

any of Richards, vokoun, bryz >>> gonch and kovalev. come on read my post after where I said that if we can't get any of these guys, then we shoudln't dish out anymore multi year contracts for the leftovers. goalie would be great since we need someone to help out lehner...he's not ready for next season.

Ev

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:58 pm by Ev

What the heck would we be talking about if we were an amazing team? lol

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm by PTFlea

Big Ev wrote:What the heck would we be talking about if we were an amazing team? lol

What player to add for the playoff run?

Ev

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:14 pm by Ev

I would love to sign Zenon Konopka. I just love his energy, toughness, and he's very good at faceoffs. I would also love for Brooks Laich to sign here. Would make up for us trading him away.

Bieksa, Ericsson, and Babchuk would be some candidates for an empty D position.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm by PTFlea

Brooks Laich is starting to look like exactly what the Sens need for a quick rebuild. A leader, plays hard, is 100% muscle, can score.

Bring him in if possible. I think it would be a step in the right direction - even though we're looking for hardcore skill, we can still get that while adding Laich into our top 6.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 pm by Hoags

Laich is supposedly the real leader on the Caps, I can't see GMGM being stupid enough to let him go.

Wish we could roll back the clock on that Bondra trade .... ouch Sad

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:24 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:Laich is supposedly the real leader on the Caps, I can't see GMGM being stupid enough to let him go.

Screw it, we can't roll back on Kovalev - although that means more to us. Can't roll back on Kuba re-signing, we tried with Bondra - and in reality it could have worked. Now that Laich's matured, we'll gladly take him back and thank the Caps for farming him. Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm by Cap'n Clutch

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:Laich is supposedly the real leader on the Caps, I can't see GMGM being stupid enough to let him go.

Screw it, we can't roll back on Kovalev - although that means more to us. Can't roll back on Kuba re-signing, we tried with Bondra - and in reality it could have worked. Now that Laich's matured, we'll gladly take him back and thank the Caps for farming him. Smile

I think I even have his autograph when he was a Sens prospect.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm by PTFlea

Well that seals it then Clutch. Wink

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 am by Cap'n Clutch

I kinda Laich the guy too so... Sarcasm

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 am by Cap'n Clutch

Seriously though here's what I'm thinking. I am only putting names in to illustrate the TYPE of player I'd like only not the exact player.

Alex Semin - Spezza - Foligno
Alfie - Brad Richards - Michalek

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Campoli
Carkner - Cowen
Gryba

Elliott
Boucher

This cranks up the grit on D and Rundblad and Cowen can take turns being sent up and down. I'd take back salary just to get Lee out of town. He's taking up a valuable roster spot.

The top line is a little risky with Foligno up there but I'm betting on one or both of Regin and Foligno being ready for top line minutes next season so you can flip those two as the season goes along depending on how they're playing. It also opens up the opportunity for Butler to snag a spot in the top six and if Michalek poops the bed again you've got another potential opening.

wprager

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 am by wprager

Carkner/Cowen together? There's a bit of a problem there, isn't there? Karlsson probably won't need a vet to pair up with next season, although I wouldn't want him tutoring a rookie either, and a Campoli-Karlsson pairing is a little light (especially since we want Karlsson to play top-pairing minutes). Swap Cowen and Campoli, put Campoli on the 2nd PP unit to make up his ice time.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Seriously though here's what I'm thinking. I am only putting names in to illustrate the TYPE of player I'd like only not the exact player.

Alex Semin - Spezza - Foligno
Alfie - Brad Richards - Michalek

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Campoli
Carkner - Cowen
Gryba

Elliott
Boucher

This cranks up the grit on D and Rundblad and Cowen can take turns being sent up and down. I'd take back salary just to get Lee out of town. He's taking up a valuable roster spot.

The top line is a little risky with Foligno up there but I'm betting on one or both of Regin and Foligno being ready for top line minutes next season so you can flip those two as the season goes along depending on how they're playing. It also opens up the opportunity for Butler to snag a spot in the top six and if Michalek poops the bed again you've got another potential opening.

Of course, we've never had that type of success with free agency unless we've overpaid, and even then, when we do land a guy, it's usually an aging superstar looking to cash a fat cheque at Eugene's expense. While I am not overly thrilled with Semin for example, he would be the best offensive player this team has seen in a while from a skill standpoint. He'd certainly be a reason to watch.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 am by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:Carkner/Cowen together? There's a bit of a problem there, isn't there? Karlsson probably won't need a vet to pair up with next season, although I wouldn't want him tutoring a rookie either, and a Campoli-Karlsson pairing is a little light (especially since we want Karlsson to play top-pairing minutes). Swap Cowen and Campoli, put Campoli on the 2nd PP unit to make up his ice time.

I like it.

Now if Phillips and Gonchar both have bounce back seasons I could see something like this instead

Gonchar - Karlsson
Phillips - Cowen - (Can we say shut down duo)
Carkner - Campoli (2nd unit PP time of course)

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Carkner/Cowen together? There's a bit of a problem there, isn't there? Karlsson probably won't need a vet to pair up with next season, although I wouldn't want him tutoring a rookie either, and a Campoli-Karlsson pairing is a little light (especially since we want Karlsson to play top-pairing minutes). Swap Cowen and Campoli, put Campoli on the 2nd PP unit to make up his ice time.

I like it.

Now if Phillips and Gonchar both have bounce back seasons I could see something like this instead

Gonchar - Karlsson

The way Rundblad is playing this year, you have to think he could seriously challenge for a spot. If he does make it, at who's expense would it be. My feeling is that it would be Campoli as Carkner gives us a dimension none of our other D-men do.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 am by Cap'n Clutch

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I like it.

Gonchar - Karlsson

The way Rundblad is playing this year, you have to think he could seriously challenge for a spot. If he does make it, at who's expense would it be. My feeling is that it would be Campoli as Carkner gives us a dimension none of our other D-men do.

I'm fine either way. My concern is that would put Cowen and Rundblad on the team in my scenario. I think I'd rather have one or the other and maybe pick up an FA D or one via the "Fisher" trade?

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum