GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm by Hoags

SensGirl11 wrote:

Who else is out there that could be had in a trade? Would Nabby ever come here? Would you want him?

Reading about Nabakov-gate and the Islanders tells he would not want to come here.

We'd need a younger #1 goalie who needs a job, an established vet wants a playoff run ASAP and we're years away from that.

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:36 pm by SensHulk

Nabby? not anymore, I don't want him. His antics of hanging up on GMs and taking his ball and staying home have really soured me. I don't care if he really wanted to be on a contender...he should have signed with someone in the summer rather than demanding outrageous money and going to the KHL....so how badly did he wanna win the stanley cup?

Cuss that guy

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 pm by SensGirl11

Better yet, imagine if we could trade Fisher and land a 1st round pick for him for this years draft. We end up finishing 3rd from last, pick one of Landeskog, RNH, Couturier. Depending on where the team that we traded Fisher to finishes, keep that pick or trade up along with another asset to pick up RNH or Couturier. Of course that's every teams dream. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all, we have some good d prospects in the system that could be very attractive to the team that's picking in the top 5. Just like we did last year with our 1st for Rundblad, someone could do that with us. We need the forward prospect, the team we trade with needs a d prospect that they could not draft in this years draft and he'll be more prepared to step in sooner to help (just like Rundblad).

Is that far fetched? I think it's very possibly something we will try to do.

Then this is what our team would look like;

Landeskog - Spezza - Butler/Michalek
Butler/Michalek - RNH/Couturier - Alfie
Regin - Smith - Foligno
Neil - Kelly - Winchester

Gonchar - Karlsson
Cowen - Campoli or FA - depending on whether he's the one we trade to move up. (if we re-sign him of course)
Carkner - Rundblad/Gryba/Lee

Vokoun/Bryz/FA
Brust

I know the D is still somewhat suspect, but it will be for a little while as we get the team back on track.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 pm by PTFlea

Stop dreaming, you're not getting RNH and Landeskog. Right now we'll be lucky to get one of those guys. Smile

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm by PTFlea

It's not a rebuild anymore, it's a re-tool. Murray told the Citizen he expects it to be a 1-year rebuild. Oh man....we might be getting some fun players. Ahhhhh!

Which goalie are we getting?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 pm by PTFlea

6thSens The 6th Sens
jafdjjdasjfdsajfj jdjfjadjfjasf (me banging head off of keyboard) RT @OttawaCitizen: Senators' Murray eyes one-year rebuild: bit.ly/hgAoeh

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:44 pm by SensHulk

SpezDispenser wrote:It's not a rebuild anymore, it's a re-tool. Murray told the Citizen he expects it to be a 1-year rebuild. Oh man....we might be getting some fun players. Ahhhhh!

Depending on UFA moves, it maybe less than a year. Probably just the remainder of the season + draft. I called it!

sign richards, byrz Drool

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:44 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Facepalm

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm by Hoags

SpezDispenser wrote:6thSens The 6th Sens
jafdjjdasjfdsajfj jdjfjadjfjasf (me banging head off of keyboard) RT @OttawaCitizen: Senators' Murray eyes one-year rebuild: bit.ly/hgAoeh

I take that to mean that this team won't necessarily be a bottom feeder next year which I suppose is possible.

Let's not forget that this may be Melnyk's doing as well.

If they bring up Rundblad and Cowen, bring in some of the younger forwards like Butler, Wick etc not to mention if we sign Da Costa ..

I think people are reading a little too much into this, it's probably just to try and not lose ticket sales. Rebuilds always take longer than management says they do. I don't see Murray doing a Burke 'rebuild'.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:48 pm by PTFlea

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:It's not a rebuild anymore, it's a re-tool. Murray told the Citizen he expects it to be a 1-year rebuild. Oh man....we might be getting some fun players. Ahhhhh!

Depending on UFA moves, it maybe less than a year. Probably just the remainder of the season + draft. I called it!

sign richards, byrz Drool

So...how is this to happen?

Michalek - Spezza - SNIPER
Landeskog - Fisher - Alfredsson
Foligno - Kelly - Neil
Z.Smith - Regin - Winchester

Gonchar - Karlsson
Cowen - Campoli
Rundblad - Carkner

REAL GOALIE
Elliott

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:48 pm by SensGirl11

Hoags wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

Who else is out there that could be had in a trade? Would Nabby ever come here? Would you want him?

Reading about Nabakov-gate and the Islanders tells he would not want to come here.

We'd need a younger #1 goalie who needs a job, an established vet wants a playoff run ASAP and we're years away from that.

I think what he's doing to the Islanders is absolutely ludicrous. You should have heard Wang's interview this morning on NHL Live, he is beside himself that Nabby doesn't want to go there. he's still waiting and he doesn't see why anyone would not take the opportunity to play the rest of the season in the NHL. I'll see if I can find it and post it, it was very amusing and interesting to listen to. He called him crazy at the end. What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens? - Page 6 270956 I have a hard time respecting Nabby for what he's doing, he should be happy that he's getting a chance to show what he can do again in the NHL. Whether it's with a contender or not. He has the chance next season to get the money he wants and play where he wants. Why won't he just take his knocks and play for the NYI?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm by PTFlea

Murray to reporters: Rundblad is the priority to make the NHL over Cowen.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:50 pm by PTFlea

I'll post this again, this is the guy whose name is popping up:

Julien BriseBois - General Manager (Hamilton B-Dogs)
Julien BriseBois, who turned 32 on January 24th, 2009, is the youngest current General Manager in the American Hockey League. The native of Greenfield Park, Quebec was named the Montreal Canadiens’ Vice President of Hockey Operations on July 24, 2006. Originally joining the Canadiens organization on September 1st, 2001 as Director of Legal Affairs, BriseBois was promoted to Director of Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs in July 2003. His duties include all aspects of contract preparation and negotiation, salary arbitration, player transactions, the interpretation of the National Hockey League’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and League Rules and assessing their impact on day-to-day operations. Prior to joining the Canadiens organization, BriseBois was practicing at the law firm Heenan-Blaikie, where he represented several National Hockey League and Major League Baseball clubs in arbitration cases, and acted as an advisor in contract negotiations. He also participated in the production of legal documents for the QMJHL and in motor sports. BriseBois is a graduate of the Université de Montreal Faculty of Law and earned a Masters’ Degree in Business Administration at the John Molson School of Business. He is also a member of the Quebec Bar, the American Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association.

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm by PTFlea

And Ron Hextall.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:51 pm by Hoags

Islanders are stupid for taking him though. Did they really think he'd play for them ?

His agent made it perfectly clear he wants to play for a contender in the playoffs.

Mind you they're well within their right to claim him and I think he should just suck it up and report.

I think they just put him back on waivers, suspending him isn't going to get anyone anywhere, everyone loses. Let him go to Detroit or a contender, it's not like the Islanders have playoff aspirations or anything.

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 pm by SensGirl11

SpezDispenser wrote:Stop dreaming, you're not getting RNH and Landeskog. Right now we'll be lucky to get one of those guys. What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens? - Page 6 54934

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens? - Page 6 Dare-to-dream

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm by Hoags

Julien Brisebois sounds intriguing.

I imagine we'd need the Habs consent ?

PTFlea

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:56 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:Julien Brisebois sounds intriguing.

I imagine we'd need the Habs consent ?

Not sure, I assume so, but this will be the kind of opportunity where he'd quit if they said no.

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum