GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 am by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:Carkner/Cowen together? There's a bit of a problem there, isn't there? Karlsson probably won't need a vet to pair up with next season, although I wouldn't want him tutoring a rookie either, and a Campoli-Karlsson pairing is a little light (especially since we want Karlsson to play top-pairing minutes). Swap Cowen and Campoli, put Campoli on the 2nd PP unit to make up his ice time.

I like it.

Now if Phillips and Gonchar both have bounce back seasons I could see something like this instead

Gonchar - Karlsson
Phillips - Cowen - (Can we say shut down duo)
Carkner - Campoli (2nd unit PP time of course)

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Carkner/Cowen together? There's a bit of a problem there, isn't there? Karlsson probably won't need a vet to pair up with next season, although I wouldn't want him tutoring a rookie either, and a Campoli-Karlsson pairing is a little light (especially since we want Karlsson to play top-pairing minutes). Swap Cowen and Campoli, put Campoli on the 2nd PP unit to make up his ice time.

I like it.

Now if Phillips and Gonchar both have bounce back seasons I could see something like this instead

Gonchar - Karlsson

The way Rundblad is playing this year, you have to think he could seriously challenge for a spot. If he does make it, at who's expense would it be. My feeling is that it would be Campoli as Carkner gives us a dimension none of our other D-men do.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 am by Cap'n Clutch

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I like it.

Gonchar - Karlsson

The way Rundblad is playing this year, you have to think he could seriously challenge for a spot. If he does make it, at who's expense would it be. My feeling is that it would be Campoli as Carkner gives us a dimension none of our other D-men do.

I'm fine either way. My concern is that would put Cowen and Rundblad on the team in my scenario. I think I'd rather have one or the other and maybe pick up an FA D or one via the "Fisher" trade?

wprager

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am by wprager

Gonchar/Karlsson
Phillips/Rundblad
Cowen/Carkner

(rightie-leftie matched up)

I just don't like it. I want Cowen to learn from someone like Philips. I want Rundblad to learn from someone like Gonchar. \

Hmm.

Phillips/Cowen
Gonchar/Rundblad

Which leaves Carkner/Karlsson -- two righties and, seriously, blech!

Too bad Karlsson and Rundblad are both righties or I would think twice of putting them together as a second pairing.

Maybe the best solution is to put Cowen/Rundblad together as a third pairing. Or maybe we luck out and Wiercioch is more ready than we think -- I'd love a Wiercioch/Cowen pairing down the road, and Rundblad could get us a great forward prospect.

So glad it's not my choice.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I like it.

Gonchar - Karlsson

I'm fine either way. My concern is that would put Cowen and Rundblad on the team in my scenario. I think I'd rather have one or the other and maybe pick up an FA D or one via the "Fisher" trade?

Well, I think if they play their way onto the team, they have to be given a shot. I wouldn't pair them together though. (I'd pair Karlsson with Cowen right away just to get that future HOF pairing going right away Wink )

As far as FA acquisitions, I am just not confident in this franchises ability to attract anyone that's going to make that much of a difference in anything other than cap space (read: Kovalav, Gonchar). Look at the FAs we've gotten over the last few years: Corvo (bleh), Hasek (f'n Olympics), Gerber (LOL), Kovalev (nuff said), Gonchar (nuff said). It's not something I am hanging my hat on. Really, the only FA acquistions that have panned out at all in recent years are of the NCAA variety (Winchester, Butler).

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 am by Cap'n Clutch

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I like it.

Gonchar - Karlsson

Well, I think if they play their way onto the team, they have to be given a shot. I wouldn't pair them together though. (I'd pair Karlsson with Cowen right away just to get that future HOF pairing going right away Wink )

As far as FA acquisitions, I am just not confident in this franchises ability to attract anyone that's going to make that much of a difference in anything other than cap space (read: Kovalav, Gonchar). Look at the FAs we've gotten over the last few years: Corvo (bleh), Hasek (f'n Olympics), Gerber (LOL), Kovalev (nuff said), Gonchar (nuff said). It's not something I am hanging my hat on. Really, the only FA acquistions that have panned out at all in recent years are of the NCAA variety (Winchester, Butler).

I did say we could go the trade route as well. Remember Cullen?

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I like it.

Gonchar - Karlsson

I did say we could go the trade route as well. Remember Cullen?

Jesus, how bad could this team use Matt Cullen right now. Crying

The trade route is probably a more viable option than FA signings, yes, but even then it won't be easy. Our most desirable pieces have NMC/NTC, and the guys we are desperate to give away don't seem to hold much value. I am dead set against trading our prospects too, although for the right deal, I'd probably part with Wiercioch (no I haven't given up on him, I just think that off all the depth we've got, he's the most expendable).

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am by Cap'n Clutch

Imagine having retained Cullen and trading Fisher?

?? - Spezza - Foligno/Regin
Alfie - Cullen - Michalek

Not a bad looking top six if one of Foligno or Regin have bounce back seasons.

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 am by Guest

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Imagine having retained Cullen and trading Fisher?

?? - Spezza - Foligno/Regin
Alfie - Cullen - Michalek

Not a bad looking top six if one of Foligno or Regin have bounce back seasons.

I'd say Regin needs more than a bounce back season. His next goal will double his season output. Facepalm

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 am by Cap'n Clutch

Sounds like the fire sale is on and guys like Phillips, Alfredsson, Fisher, Kuba, Gonchar and even Kelly and Neil are all available for prospects/picks/youth.

It sounds like a potential tear down and start over.

Our lineup could look like this:

Foligno - Spezza - This year's draft pick
Butler - Fisher - Michalek
Smith - Regin - Winchester
Neil - Kelly - O'Brien

Gonchar - Karlsson
Rundblad - Cowen
Campoli - Carkner

Elliott
Lehner

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 am by Hoags

Butler's RW, I'd prefer him there(tired of playing people on their off-side and expecting them to produce).

I still wonder what the odds are of trading our non-pending UFAs(ie. Fisher).

Interesting how on team 1200 they requoted Pierre as saying Regin is not a top-6 forward (20-25 goal player).

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am by Cap'n Clutch

My bad. Reverse Michalek and Butler since Michalek is a LW anyway.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am by Hoags

Interesting idea I ran across is trade Michalek to LA for Poni.

Now yes Poni sucks but we'd be freeing ourselves from MM's contract and if he continues to have knee problems it might be a smart thing to do. LA needs a scoring LWer and those are hard to come by. Poni is a UFA after this year and we'd simply let him walk.

Really depends on how badly Melnyk wants to shed salary and how badly Lombardi wants to make the playoffs this year.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 am by Cap'n Clutch

Hoags wrote:Interesting idea I ran across is trade Michalek to LA for Poni.

Now yes Poni sucks but we'd be freeing ourselves from MM's contract and if he continues to have knee problems it might be a smart thing to do. LA needs a scoring LWer and those are hard to come by. Poni is a UFA after this year and we'd simply let him walk.

Really depends on how badly Melnyk wants to shed salary and how badly Lombardi wants to make the playoffs this year.

This isn't just about shedding cap money it's about bringing in youth. There's not much point in getting more cap space that likely won't be spent on bringing in Veterans.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 am by Hoags

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

This isn't just about shedding cap money it's about bringing in youth. There's not much point in getting more cap space that likely won't be spent on bringing in Veterans.

Can't bring in youth without making roster spots available first.

As for shedding salary and creating cap space, I imagine those are high on Melnyk's list.

We're not going to be spending to the cap for a while, I imagine we'll follow the model of teams like Nashville, Colorado or LA and save the cap space for when we need it.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 am by SensHulk

I know the sens don't want to dish out long term contracts this summer in UFA hunt, but I really hope they still try to grab Bryzgalov. We need some sort of goaltender with credibility to help Lehner out. Of course with this mini-rebuild being 'official' of sorts, Bryz prob wouldn't wanna sign with us anyways.

The rest should sort itself out. From the sound of it, this is the last 5 weeks for Phillips as a senator....and reallyy sounds like there's no guarantee of him coming back either. Assuming campo is dealt in the off-season or deadline and another opening on D (be it the departure of phillips, gonch, or kuba), we'll likely have cowen and rundblad/Hale replacing those guys next season.

We are strong on defensive prospects, and the best way to develop them in the NHL is to have a strong goaltender to bail you out on your mistakes. Otherwise we end up in a scenario where EVERY Cussing mistake ends up in the back of our net.....how's that for the psyche of developing players? Not good....they need to be able to develop without being scared to make mistakes

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am by Cap'n Clutch

I think if the Sens want a good goalie it'll have to be via the trade route because, as you said, it's doubtful a UFA goalie worth signing will want to sign in Ottawa.

Thomas is an intriguing idea but I don't see Chiarelli trading him within the division if he trades him at all.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am by Hoags

Michallica wrote:
We are strong on defensive prospects, and the best way to develop them in the NHL is to have a strong goaltender to bail you out on your mistakes. Otherwise we end up in a scenario where EVERY Cussing mistake ends up in the back of our net.....how's that for the psyche of developing players? Not good....they need to be able to develop without being scared to make mistakes

Totally agree there, we need solid, reliable goaltending while we go through this rebuild.

I don't see Phoenix letting Bryz go and I can't imagine Vokoun wanting to play for anything else other than a contender, poor guy has suffered enough in Florida last few years.

Not really sure who they could get, who'd want to be #1 goalie on a rebuilding team with no guarantee of post-season for the next few years ?

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum