GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if you could re-tool/re-build the Sens?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Sens season is lost if you're realistic and dealing with the real world. That being said what would you do if you could and you had willing trade partners? Try to keep it somewhat realistic folks. I know people would love to have Crosby, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Pronger, Richards, Toews and so on but lets try to deal in realistic possibilities.

We can pretty much all agree that Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire will not be back next season. After that is where it gets a little tricky. The others not under contract next season include: Chris Phillips and Chris Campoli on Defense and Ryan Shannon and Zack Smith at forward. As for players under contract that I'd like to see moved that list includes: Filip Kuba and Brian Lee.

Realistically there may be somewhat of a market for Kuba but I'm not expecting much. As for Lee I hope for his sake he gets moved but I'd be surprised.

So lets start at forward. Zack Smith gets re-signed (no brainer) and moves to a permanent spot on line 4. I know people think we should re-sign Shannon but I'd much rather see him traded. His value is high and he doesn't fit on the Sens. He's not built to be a bottom six forward and he's not consistent enough to stay in the top six. Ruutu and Kovalev likely get us picks at the deadline.

On to Defense. I'd personally re-sign Campoli as part of the youth movement and I'd try the rental route with Phillips and hope he comes back in the off season for 3M or less. Kuba I'd try to get anything for in order to make room for fresh blood on the back end.

Goaltending: Re-sign Elliott for cheap.

Now this is what I've got to work with assuming I did this right.

Forwards: Alfredsson, Fisher, Michalek, Spezza, Regin, Foligno, Neil, Kelly, Winchester, Zack Smith

Defense: Campoli, Karlsson, Carkner, Gonchar, Lee

Game plan:
Pick up an FA forward to play top six, Pick up an FA goalie to split the season with Elliott and pick up an FA S%$t disturber shot blocking Defenseman and re-sign Phillips in the off season.

That leaves us with this:

FA winger - Spezza - Foligno
Alfredsson - Fisher - Michalek
Winchester - Kelly - Regin
Zack Smith - Neil - O'Brien

Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - FA D man
Carkner - Campoli
Lee

FA goalie
Elliott

This means there's no room for Cowen or Rundblad which means a full year in Bingo. Not sure that's realistic as one or both should and likely will see significant time with the Sens next season.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 am by SensHulk

I know the sens don't want to dish out long term contracts this summer in UFA hunt, but I really hope they still try to grab Bryzgalov. We need some sort of goaltender with credibility to help Lehner out. Of course with this mini-rebuild being 'official' of sorts, Bryz prob wouldn't wanna sign with us anyways.

The rest should sort itself out. From the sound of it, this is the last 5 weeks for Phillips as a senator....and reallyy sounds like there's no guarantee of him coming back either. Assuming campo is dealt in the off-season or deadline and another opening on D (be it the departure of phillips, gonch, or kuba), we'll likely have cowen and rundblad/Hale replacing those guys next season.

We are strong on defensive prospects, and the best way to develop them in the NHL is to have a strong goaltender to bail you out on your mistakes. Otherwise we end up in a scenario where EVERY Cussing mistake ends up in the back of our net.....how's that for the psyche of developing players? Not good....they need to be able to develop without being scared to make mistakes

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am by Cap'n Clutch

I think if the Sens want a good goalie it'll have to be via the trade route because, as you said, it's doubtful a UFA goalie worth signing will want to sign in Ottawa.

Thomas is an intriguing idea but I don't see Chiarelli trading him within the division if he trades him at all.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am by Hoags

Michallica wrote:
We are strong on defensive prospects, and the best way to develop them in the NHL is to have a strong goaltender to bail you out on your mistakes. Otherwise we end up in a scenario where EVERY Cussing mistake ends up in the back of our net.....how's that for the psyche of developing players? Not good....they need to be able to develop without being scared to make mistakes

Totally agree there, we need solid, reliable goaltending while we go through this rebuild.

I don't see Phoenix letting Bryz go and I can't imagine Vokoun wanting to play for anything else other than a contender, poor guy has suffered enough in Florida last few years.

Not really sure who they could get, who'd want to be #1 goalie on a rebuilding team with no guarantee of post-season for the next few years ?

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am by SensGirl11

Man, this is going to be exciting! There is so much work to do I don't even know where to start.

I would however keep the following guys for sure;

Roster Players

Spezza
Michalek
Alfie
Kelly
Neil
Phillips ($3Millionx4)
Regin
Foligno
Karlsson
Z. Smith
Fisher (I believe he is part of the solution)
Gonchar
Elliott maybe as backup...not sure yet though...

AHL/Elite on the cusp guys;

Butler
Cowen
Rundblad
Silvferberg
A. Petersson
Condra
Lehner
Locke
Sign Brust to a 2-way deal for sure!!!

I am open to moving the following for picks and prospects;

Phillips - deadline move for a 2nd hopefully or a high-end prospect (then re-sign him in the off-season)
Gonchar I would possibly move at the deadline, but be prepared to pay. Yes he's had a horrible season, but he's still a Future Hall of Famer and still has some gas in the tank.
Ruutu - Pick please!
Kuba - Forward prospect please!
Leclaire - just go away
Kovalev - Pick please! 2nd (am I dreaming?)
Wiercioch - not sure I'd move him but he is valuable in a trade for sure.

That's all I can think of now, but more will come to mind I'm sure.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 am by SensHulk

who can we trade for in terms of bonafide goalies? I don't know what the exact list of UFA goalies is but I think it includes Turco and Giggy....not exactly guys I want.

Despite most beliefs, I don't think this will be a 2-3 year rebuild. Honestly it lasts the rest of this season, and maybe next but that's it. I still think the sens will make a huge push in Alfie's last season to either win it themselves, or trade him by deadline.

shabbs

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am by shabbs

Capgeek has a configurable list of players that are UFA/RFA by position and team etc...

Here are the UFA goalies this summer:

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

22_4_ever

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am by 22_4_ever

UFA goalies are
Vokoun, Bryzgalov, Turco, Niemi, Andersson...among others are UFA's

the RFA's I don't really count as I don't see Ottawa trying to sign any restricted players..they need the picks over the next couple of years..

Here is a link to Capgeek, but I doubt Bryzgalov will be available...I just can't see Phoenix not getting a deal done..he is everything to that team.

Capgeek UFA Goalies

Sorry Shabs...

I posted too close to him...no one shoot me for repeating what someone else posted.....

Last edited by 22_4_ever on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am by SensGirl11

I'm really on the fence right now with Alfie & Michalek. Not sure what to do there, I'd love to keep Michalek because I think he can become a great winger that can put up 25+ goals a season, but he has yet to do it and is very injury-prone.

Alfie is showing his age big time. He's got 2 years left after this year I think, we can only hope that he gets back to form, I don't think he's open to going anywhere.

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 am by SensGirl11

I have a feeling about Vokoun, always have. I can only hope that we can sign him.

Ev

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 am by Ev

Totally hypothetical line-up:

Michalek-Spezza-Landeskog
Foligno-Laich-Alfredsson
Regin-Kelly-Neil
Winchester-Konopka-Smith

Phillips-Karlsson
Gonchar-Cowen
Rundblad-Ericsson

H. Karlsson
Lehner

OUT: Elliott, Kuba, Fisher, Campoli, Ruutu, Kovalev, Leclaire, Carkner. Butler remains in the AHL for the time being.

IN: Landeskog, Brooks Laich, Zenon Konopka, Jonathan Ericsson, Henrik Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad.

There's way too many natural centres so it's hard to make a lineup with them in it.

If RNH is selected, and if he is ready, he can be second line centre with Laich and Butler on his wings.

If a guy like Silfverberg is ready, put him on the 4th line instead of Konopka (who would not be signed).

Don't know if this all works cap-wise, but what the hell.

Last edited by Big Ev on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

22_4_ever

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am by 22_4_ever

Does anyone else think that Gonchar will be traded? I don't know why, but I have a feeling that a Western team may pluck him at the deadline, and we may just get a 1st for him...

If that's the case then this team is in bad need of veteran help for the young guys coming in...

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 am by SensGirl11

I forgot about Winchester, keep him!

SensGirl11

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 am by SensGirl11

22_4_ever wrote:Does anyone else think that Gonchar will be traded? I don't know why, but I have a feeling that a Western team may pluck him at the deadline, and we may just get a 1st for him...

If that's the case then this team is in bad need of veteran help for the young guys coming in...

Not sure, he made a commitment...I dont' think so, but we'll see.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 am by Cap'n Clutch

I think it'll be a tough sell considering the length of his contract.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 am by Hoags

I can't Vokoun coming here. Poor guy wants a shot at the cup. He wouldn't be any better here than Florida (and their weather is nicer).

He's 35 only had a few playoff games in his career, same situation as Nabakov.

Hoags

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 am by Hoags

Gonchar made the commitment thinking we're a playoff team (after our #5 finish last year).

He'll be really tough to move but I could see him waiving to a contender. Players his age generally want one more shot at the Cup before they get too old.

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 am by SensHulk

I don't think Gonch gets traded to be honest. Everyone knows of his struggles in the first year with a new team and that's probably what it is. Look what he was able to do for Letang. We need at least one veteran presence for the next 2 seasons and I'm sure he'll find his game.

If he is dealt, then we're potentially looking at Campoli as our vet

SensHulk

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 am by SensHulk

Hoags wrote:Gonchar made the commitment thinking we're a playoff team (after our #5 finish last year).

He'll be really tough to move but I could see him waiving to a contender. Players his age generally want one more shot at the Cup before they get too old.

True, but he's not on his last legs. He specifically said his goal was to play in Sochi, and he's already won the cup with Pitts. I don't think he's that keen to go elsewhere at the moment....of course I'm just speculating on what makes sense

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum