GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Columbus Blue Jackets - 7:00pm ET - FRI. New Years Eve 2010

+12
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
dennycrane
strachattack
Ev
top shelf15
PTFlea
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:If there's actually a taker for Shannon at the deadline, you move him for sure. I don't see/want him in our long term plans.

He's grown on me as well, but he's not a top 6'er and doesn't have the size for a bottom 6 role. Weird fit.

If Shannon is made available to teams at the deadline, he will be wanted.

I don't want Shannon going anywhere. You need players like him, at his salary; they are a necessity actually. Someone who can play all 4 lines and fill a servicable role at a moments notice is a must for any successful NHL team.

I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we can get an asset for him at the deadline, he can easily be replaced for similar money in free agency - or replaced by one of the young guys.

Actually, I'm not going to let you off that easy, haha.

I want you to name me players you think can fill the same role as Shannon? Some of our prospects and/or from free agency as well. I think you will have a harder time than you think because Shannon isn't a dime a dozen IMO.

SDH89

Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:If there's actually a taker for Shannon at the deadline, you move him for sure. I don't see/want him in our long term plans.

He's grown on me as well, but he's not a top 6'er and doesn't have the size for a bottom 6 role. Weird fit.

I don't want Shannon going anywhere. You need players like him, at his salary; they are a necessity actually. Someone who can play all 4 lines and fill a servicable role at a moments notice is a must for any successful NHL team.

I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we can get an asset for him at the deadline, he can easily be replaced for similar money in free agency - or replaced by one of the young guys.

I want you to name me players you think can fill the same role as Shannon? Some of our prospects and/or from free agency as well. I think you will have a harder time than you think because Shannon isn't a dime a dozen IMO.

You couldn't let me go? Dammit!

My main idea behind getting rid of Shannon is giving this team a new look. Quite frankly, Shannon has been here for a couple years now and, while he can be effective at times, he's not the kind of guy that we're going to be building around, so in my mind he's just a spare part that can be parlayed into a future asset.

Now, if we get rid of him, he is no longer taking a roster spot from someone within the organization - guys like Butler, Greening come to mind. Also Zack Smith needs a full time role on this team as he is currently being held back by Shannon's presence.

If the young guys we have aren't ready, then free agency can buy us another cheap alternative. Freddy Sjostrom, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Drew Miller, Ben Eager, Marcel Goc, my favourite Patty Eaves are all cheap bottom 6'ers that can be had for less than a million.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

well at least getting to see O'brien puts some level of excitement into the game.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Steve Mason in goals tonight... we could be winning this one after all?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Go Canada! Go, umm, Lehner?

Go Sens. Sorry, don't have the energy to add an exclamation point there Sad

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ruutu out.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Ruutu out.

And what of young Kuba?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:

And what of young Kuba?
He's a scratch too. I thought that was old news.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

And what of young Kuba?
He's a scratch too. I thought that was old news.

Beerjumping

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Details here:

http://twitter.com/ScottMacArthur/status/20887216981024768

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens lines for tonight:

Foligno-Fisher-Alfredsson
Shannon-Regin-Kovalev
Michalek-Kelly-Neil
Smith-Winchester-O'Brien

Phillips-Karlsson
Campoli-Carkner
Gonchar-Lee

Elliott

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

You couldn't let me go? Dammit!

My main idea behind getting rid of Shannon is giving this team a new look. Quite frankly, Shannon has been here for a couple years now and, while he can be effective at times, he's not the kind of guy that we're going to be building around, so in my mind he's just a spare part that can be parlayed into a future asset.

Now, if we get rid of him, he is no longer taking a roster spot from someone within the organization - guys like Butler, Greening come to mind. Also Zack Smith needs a full time role on this team as he is currently being held back by Shannon's presence.

If the young guys we have aren't ready, then free agency can buy us another cheap alternative. Freddy Sjostrom, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Drew Miller, Ben Eager, Marcel Goc, my favourite Patty Eaves are all cheap bottom 6'ers that can be had for less than a million.

You're right Shannon is not the kind of player that you build around, but IMO he is still integral to the building process. He may not be the structure of the building, but he is a roof truss.

Butler makes $275,000 more than Shannon; Greening $225,000. The difference in cap hit in those contracts is nothing to just dismiss. Shannon also has experience way beyond those players. I don't think Shannon is taking anything away from those guys right now. Butler definitely deserves a one or two game callup as a reward soon, but that will come and really isn't what we are talking about right now.

Zack Smith is and will always be the Sens first callup until he is a permanent member of the Ottawa Senators with or without Shannon.

Next season with more money as the Sens disposal, I would agrue that every single one of the players you mentioned - and you said it yourself - those guys are bonafide bottome 6'ers. Remember that Shannon can jump from a bottom 6 role to first line if an injury happens to a Sens top liner during the game. I don't think any of the guys you mentioned can/and or do it as seamlessly or as cheap.

Can you tell I like the role Shannon has on the Sens?

Last edited by CockRoche on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is Lehner about to get pulled?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

8 goals on 33 shots isn't good for either goalie.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:8 goals on 33 shots isn't good for either goalie.
Yo... wrong thread...

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Whose what is out?

I caught it too. I corrected it when I quoted him but didn't draw attention to it.

Yeah, well, you're in a more optimistic mood than I am.

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Columbus Blue Jackets   - 7:00pm ET - FRI. New Years Eve 2010 - Page 6 Farmfilmreport_sm

blowed up reeeeeal gooooood!

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:LeBrun is tweeting about the alumni game -- just when did they start? I didn't think old geezers like Mario even got up before 9AM!

5 to 5 - they showed some of it on the news here.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Aiight... let's get rid of the sour taste from the Swedish loss and rip these mother's a new one!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum