GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY:Ottawa Senators @ Columbus Blue Jackets - 7:00pm ET - FRI. New Years Eve 2010

+12
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
dennycrane
strachattack
Ev
top shelf15
PTFlea
Riprock
wprager
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Now THAT's quite a change! Really happy that Kuba gets to finally sit the Cuss down in favor of Brian Lee (who's been much better lately). I would have been happy just with this move.

Really excited to see O'Brien. I'm not expecting him to score, but I really wanna see how he forechecks and creates opportunities. Surprised as well that Ruutu is taking a seat though....should be Kovalev or Michalek/Alfie who are playing with injuries. Oh well, at least this will open up some eyes

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Ruutu? That's a strange decision, was he playing badly, I can't recall?

He's been super disciplined, IMO and certainly skating hard. Whatever. It's time to get stoked about seeing O'Brien after what seems like an eternity of thinking he was a bust.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:He's been super disciplined, IMO and certainly skating hard. Whatever. It's time to get stoked about seeing O'Brien after what seems like an eternity of thinking he was a bust.

I guess he'll be moved at the deadline for sure now. Especially with O'Brien getting the call along with Z.Smith. Plus, the Sens have Condra and Greening chomping at the bit - none of these guys are top sixers IMO, but all of them would love to take Ruutu's place on the Sens. And Shannon's place for that matter.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I'm a big Ruutu fan, but I agree with benching him. He's the kind of guy that you want to notice out there, agitating other team's best players and playing a physical game. To be honest, I've barely even noticed him this year - which is a bad sign for him.

Great reward for Jimmy O. It would be a feel good story if he comes in here and plays well, just months after everyone (myself included) labelled him a bust. Best of luck to him.

It would have been nice to see Brodeur start tonight. And to clarify I'm not one of those idiots who views Brodeur as the saviour just because he went 3-0 last year. I just think Elliott has played way too much lately (and we have a back to back coming up), and has looked awful, besides the Pittsburgh game.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:He's been super disciplined, IMO and certainly skating hard. Whatever. It's time to get stoked about seeing O'Brien after what seems like an eternity of thinking he was a bust.

I guess he'll be moved at the deadline for sure now. Especially with O'Brien getting the call along with Z.Smith. Plus, the Sens have Condra and Greening chomping at the bit - none of these guys are top sixers IMO, but all of them would love to take Ruutu's place on the Sens. And Shannon's place for that matter.

Without looking at the cap hits, it might surprise you to know that some of these guys NHL hits are higher than Shannon's. That's where it get dicey.

I didn't used to like Shannon. Now what I see is a guy who wants to compete but just doesn't have the size. Should that matter? In his case it does because he has to make his OWN room for crying out loud. I think we should do him a favour and trade him.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Without looking at the cap hits, it might surprise you to know that some of these guys NHL hits are higher than Shannon's. That's where it get dicey.

I didn't used to like Shannon. Now what I see is a guy who wants to compete but just doesn't have the size. Should that matter? In his case it does because he has to make his OWN room for crying out loud. I think we should do him a favour and trade him.

If there's actually a taker for Shannon at the deadline, you move him for sure. I don't see/want him in our long term plans.

He's grown on me as well, but he's not a top 6'er and doesn't have the size for a bottom 6 role. Weird fit.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Ruutu? That's a strange decision, was he playing badly, I can't recall?

He's been super disciplined, IMO and certainly skating hard. Whatever. It's time to get stoked about seeing O'Brien after what seems like an eternity of thinking he was a bust.

Ruutu hasn't been himself. He hasn't been drawing penalties and he hasn't been getting the other teams top players off their game either. He has taken some bad penalties lately but I can remember some games in late November and early December where he was not taking penalties; something like 7 games in a row that I saw at least.

If Ruutu is not drawing penalties and being Ruutu, he may as well sit. What else is he there for? I know some people say his act wears thin, but that is Ruttu.

Kuba and Ruutu are the perfect choices. Scary thing is there are a couple more perfect candidates for the press box too.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CockRoche wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ruutu hasn't been himself. He hasn't been drawing penalties and he hasn't been getting the other teams top players off their game either. He has taken some bad penalties lately but I can remember some games in late November and early December where he was not taking penalties; something like 7 games in a row that I saw at least.

If Ruutu is not drawing penalties and being Ruutu, he may as well sit. What else is he there for? I know some people say his act wears thin, but that is Ruttu.

Kuba and Ruutu are the perfect choices. Scary thing is there are a couple more perfect candidates for the press box too.

Ohnoes!

Wait a minute! Only a couple?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:I'm a big Ruutu fan, but I agree with benching him. He's the kind of guy that you want to notice out there, agitating other team's best players and playing a physical game. To be honest, I've barely even noticed him this year - which is a bad sign for him. Great reward for Jimmy O. It would be a feel good story if he comes in here and plays well, just months after everyone (myself included) labelled him a bust. Best of luck to him.

It would have been nice to see Brodeur start tonight. And to clarify I'm not one of those idiots who views Brodeur as the saviour just because he went 3-0 last year. I just think Elliott has played way too much lately (and we have a back to back coming up), and has looked awful, besides the Pittsburgh game.

You beat me to it. We must have been replying at the same time, but either way we both feel the same way about Ruutu.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:I'm a big Ruutu fan, but I agree with benching him. He's the kind of guy that you want to notice out there, agitating other team's best players and playing a physical game. To be honest, I've barely even noticed him this year - which is a bad sign for him. Great reward for Jimmy O. It would be a feel good story if he comes in here and plays well, just months after everyone (myself included) labelled him a bust. Best of luck to him.

You beat me to it. We must have been replying at the same time, but either way we both feel the same way about Ruutu.

Laugh1 I'm glad we're in agreeance. I bet Ruutu is a proud guy, and he'll not be taking kindly to this benching. So I expect to see the Ruutu we're all used to against the Leafs tomorrow night.

Hopefully this benching is only a 1 game thing, don't want to ruin his trade value at deadline. He'd be a great pickup for a contender. I could see us getting a 2nd or 3rd for him.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:If there's actually a taker for Shannon at the deadline, you move him for sure. I don't see/want him in our long term plans.

He's grown on me as well, but he's not a top 6'er and doesn't have the size for a bottom 6 role. Weird fit.

If Shannon is made available to teams at the deadline, he will be wanted.

I don't want Shannon going anywhere. You need players like him, at his salary; they are a necessity actually. Someone who can play all 4 lines and fill a servicable role at a moments notice is a must for any successful NHL team.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:If there's actually a taker for Shannon at the deadline, you move him for sure. I don't see/want him in our long term plans.

I don't want Shannon going anywhere. You need players like him, at his salary; they are a necessity actually. Someone who can play all 4 lines and fill a servicable role at a moments notice is a must for any successful NHL team.

I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we can get an asset for him at the deadline, he can easily be replaced for similar money in free agency - or replaced by one of the young guys.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Laugh1 I'm glad we're in agreeance. I bet Ruutu is a proud guy, and he'll not be taking kindly to this benching. So I expect to see the Ruutu we're all used to against the Leafs tomorrow night.

Hopefully this benching is only a 1 game thing, don't want to ruin his trade value at deadline. He'd be a great pickup for a contender. I could see us getting a 2nd or 3rd for him.

Exactly, I agree with everything quoted.

Ruutu is a key piece to any team with Stanley Cup aspirations and he will be sought after at the deadline.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. If we can get an asset for him at the deadline, he can easily be replaced for similar money in free agency - or replaced by one of the young guys.

Oh well, we had to disagree on something today. Haha.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

I guess he'll (Ruutu) be moved at the deadline for sure now. Especially with O'Brien getting the call along with Z.Smith. Plus, the Sens have Condra and Greening chomping at the bit - none of these guys are top sixers IMO, but all of them would love to take Ruutu's place on the Sens. And Shannon's place for that matter.

If Murray goes into selling mode, wouldn't you have thought that Ruutu would be the first one to go with or without today's news?

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Actually, I'm not going to let you off that easy, haha.

I want you to name me players you think can fill the same role as Shannon? Some of our prospects and/or from free agency as well. I think you will have a harder time than you think because Shannon isn't a dime a dozen IMO.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
SDH89 wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Actually, I'm not going to let you off that easy, haha.

I want you to name me players you think can fill the same role as Shannon? Some of our prospects and/or from free agency as well. I think you will have a harder time than you think because Shannon isn't a dime a dozen IMO.

You couldn't let me go? Dammit!

My main idea behind getting rid of Shannon is giving this team a new look. Quite frankly, Shannon has been here for a couple years now and, while he can be effective at times, he's not the kind of guy that we're going to be building around, so in my mind he's just a spare part that can be parlayed into a future asset.

Now, if we get rid of him, he is no longer taking a roster spot from someone within the organization - guys like Butler, Greening come to mind. Also Zack Smith needs a full time role on this team as he is currently being held back by Shannon's presence.

If the young guys we have aren't ready, then free agency can buy us another cheap alternative. Freddy Sjostrom, Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Drew Miller, Ben Eager, Marcel Goc, my favourite Patty Eaves are all cheap bottom 6'ers that can be had for less than a million.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

well at least getting to see O'brien puts some level of excitement into the game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum