GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TSN: Caps set to make A-Train massive offer

+10
caissie_1
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Phoenix30
shabbs
sens4win
cain69
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

hemlock wrote:Paul Martin is another guy I like. I don't think I'd say he's the best d-man in the NHL, but I have to agree that he's one of the most underrated.

Another guy I'd do unholy things to get in Ottawa is Keith Yandle.

I dont think Martin is either but this is the opinion expressed by Bobby Mac and some others who actually think that guy is as good as any D man in the game today. If Ottawa can nab him they have a legit number 1 guy who plays in all situations. Basically, they have their Duncan Keith.

Hoags wrote:Gonchar is gonna want $5M-ish as well, if we can't afford A-train I don't see how we can afford him.

Michalek or Hamhuis would be my picks, but BM says he wants a PMD so ....

Id take Paul Martin over any of the guys you just mentioned.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

Id take Paul Martin over any of the guys you just mentioned.

You're probably correct, I haven't really seen Martin play (just hear the hype).

Not sure why NJ would let him go, although I imagine it'd be either him or Kovalchuk (assuming he even wants to stay in NJ).

Given the Sens history I just can't see us making a big splash on July 1st, we never really do.

Kovalev was a splash wasn't he?

After losing Oduya (another guy who's underrated), I can't see Lou letting Martin walk. The only way he leaves is if he wants to.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:After losing Oduya (another guy who's underrated), I can't see Lou letting Martin walk. The only way he leaves is if he wants to.

This is how I feel as well, but why isn't the contract done? In 7-10 days, this guy is officially on the market IMO. If they're a couple of hundred thousand apart, Lou would take care of it, they must be far apart.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:Kovalev was a splash wasn't he?

Landing Cammaleri would've been a splash, I'd call Kovalev a ripple. A consolation prize for missing out on Cammaleri and more of a PR stunt to help people forget Heatley.

The move was met with skepticism and most Sens fans are counting the days til his $5M is off the books.

We never really go after FAs and always seem to land the leftovers when we do. Let's face it, Ottawa isn't exactly a top destination for free agents and we're not hyped to win the Cup anytime soon.

Not that I mind as the free-agency period is the time when GMs go nuts and offer contracts they tend to regret years later. Last thing we need is Murray handing out more money than he should just to outbid the competition.

I'd be happy if we land of the players discussed, heck I'd be thrilled if we keep Cullen (and trade Fisher to Nashville).

hemlock wrote:After losing Oduya (another guy who's underrated), I can't see Lou letting Martin walk. The only way he leaves is if he wants to.

Exactly. Lou will look pretty bad if he lets Martin and Kovalchuk walk (trading all those players away for a 1st round exit). He HAS to keep at least one of the two.

Last edited by Hoags on Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalev is gonna rip it up next year.

28 goals, 33 assists (it's Mike Fisher after all) = 61 points.

Or not, but I have a feeling.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Kovalev is gonna rip it up next year.

I fear the only thing he'll rip is another ACL.

This team needs a power forward who'll do a terrific Mike Richards impersonation out there and make room for Spezza and co.

Not a lazy 37-year old player who rolls the dice before every game to decide if he'll feel like competing that night.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I fear the only thing he'll rip is another ACL.

This team needs a power forward who'll do a terrific Mike Richards impersonation out there and make room for Spezza and co.

Not a lazy 37-year old player who rolls the dice before every game to decide if he'll feel like competing that night.

Maybe, but when Kovalev is 'on', his game of keep-away can be deadly to the opposition (and tiring - really tiring for D-men over the course of a game).

SpezDispenser wrote:

This is how I feel as well, but why isn't the contract done? In 7-10 days, this guy is officially on the market IMO. If they're a couple of hundred thousand apart, Lou would take care of it, they must be far apart.

I can't remember who was saying it, but I heard someone (an insider) talking about Lou and contracts. He's apparently a hard-liner and will dig in to the last dollar to get the contract at price that -he- wants. He somehow manages to get things done though, so I don't see Martin hitting the open market. Even if it takes until June 30 at 11:55pm.

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:I fear the only thing he'll rip is another ACL.

Maybe, but when Kovalev is 'on', his game of keep-away can be deadly to the opposition (and tiring - really tiring for D-men over the course of a game).

I really enjoyed watching he, Fisher and another forward (sometimes Foligno) put on a cycling clinic this past season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
I can't remember who was saying it, but I heard someone (an insider) talking about Lou and contracts. He's apparently a hard-liner and will dig in to the last dollar to get the contract at price that -he- wants. He somehow manages to get things done though, so I don't see Martin hitting the open market. Even if it takes until June 30 at 11:55pm.

I would bet on it happening personally, which is why I've never put much thought into Martin.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
I really enjoyed watching he, Fisher and another forward (sometimes Foligno) put on a cycling clinic this past season.

I think Cullen, Fisher and Kovalev could have a lot of fun too.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

[quote="SpezDispenser"]
Hoags wrote:

I've just given up on Kovalev contributing anything consistently.

Such inconsistency would kill us in the post season, look what it's done to other teams in the playoffs whose top players didn't show up for key games.

We need someone who brings it every night, in the playoffs one night may be all you've got between another game and the golf course.

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Kovalev is gonna rip it up next year.

28 goals, 33 assists (it's Mike Fisher after all) = 61 points.

Or not, but I have a feeling.

Im with you Spez, I think he goes out and has a good year offensively. People forget he was going at a PPG clip++ for an extended period of time this year. He may want to seek out one more short term contract elsewhere ...

Kovalev is ap erfect guy to have on the wing right now while Ottawa restocks their prospect pool and go out and sign guys like Bobby Butler who might be able to come in and get 20 goals with 40-50 points in a couple years.

There is nothign wrong with Kovy here at this point, the guy is well liked, a solid top 6 player, and a guy who makes others around him better. He's a threat at any given time and can change a game by himself, not a lot of players in Ottawa can do that.

As for Martin, we'll see what happens but Im surprised he hasnt resigned and with the injury he had this year Lou might be trying to take advantage of that... IMO Lou has lost touch with the game a bit. If Martin hits the market Murray should and probably will make a serious pitch.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SDH89 wrote:
Im with you Spez, I think he goes out and has a good year offensively. People forget he was going at a PPG clip++ for an extended period of time this year. He may want to seek out one more short term contract elsewhere ...

People also forget that he was one of the main reasons we went on that 11 game run - and I'd credit him and Elliott for us making the playoffs. He was also amazingly helpful to Regin, he wouldn't be where he was without Kovalev apparently. And that's a really good thing to me personally when we have Butler and maybe even another rookie or 2 coming up next year that he can help. I wish Petersson was coming up so he could benefit from Kovalev and Alfie, but that's not happening.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum