GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

RUMOUR: Detroit and Zetterberg near a massive deal

+6
LeCaptain
jamvan
dennycrane
asq2
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rumours are flying this afternoon that the Detroit Red Wings have come to terms with Henrik Zetterberg to the tune of 10 years/75 million. This would be a major signing for the Wings obviously, but would also begin their descent back to the real world. Having Datsyuk and Zetterberg signed to deals that add up to 14.2 is the same kind of issue as 99% of teams in the league. Add in Lidtrsom's 7.45 and things are getting hairy. Add in Hossa's potential 7 million and things are downright scary. Franzen's 5 million...

Still, when the dust settles, this was a deal that needed to be done.

Expect an announcement soon enough.

Here's a source to boot:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2009/01/contract_talks_between_red_win.html

I doubt Hossa re-signs. but if he wants to resign, I can see him taking a cut.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tukker wrote:I doubt Hossa re-signs. but if he wants to resign, I can see him taking a cut.

No chance. The cut he took (7.45) was pretty much the max cut he'll take. MAYBE he'll take 7.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hossa took that to win now. Does Hank Zetterberg's deal kick in after July 1? If so, they can't afford Hossa and he'll cash in elsewhere.

Datsyuk and Zettiberg for 14.2 mil, Heatley and Spezza for 14.5, lol, how does that work!?

Neely4Life wrote:Datsyuk and Zettiberg for 14.2 mil, Heatley and Spezza for 14.5, lol, how does that work!?
Because both Dats and Zetts took MASSIVE paycuts to stay.

Heatley and Spezz are both worth what they are being paid, if not more.
Dats and Zett however could be worth as much are 8 or 9 million.

It was more me being a bit sarcastic and jealous. I like watching the Wings play anyways, good for them.

I dont think Heatley is worth 7.5 personally though.

Neely4Life wrote:It was more me being a bit sarcastic and jealous. I like watching the Wings play anyways, good for them.

At the time he signed, however, most thought he was. Very few people I knew complained about the signing, many calling Muray a God Rolling Eyes .

Hindsight is 20/20 Sad

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Datsyuk and Zettiberg for 14.2 mil, Heatley and Spezza for 14.5, lol, how does that work!?

I'm pretty sure that Datsyuk signed his deal
A) in a time when contracts were realtively lower, and
B) While there were still questions about his ability to perform in the post-season. Despite the Finals, Spezza was coming off a fairly successful playoff run.

Zetterberg obviously took a pay-cut.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Datsyuk signed his package right when people were saying Detroit should trade him because he lacked the requisite 'heart' to win a Cup. 6.7 back then on a long term package was considered very large for him at the time.

Zetterberg's money is fairly consistent with the elite players in the league. I'm sure he wanted to sign as soon as possible to avoid the cap crunch that's coming.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neely4Life wrote:It was more me being a bit sarcastic and jealous. I like watching the Wings play anyways, good for them.

Dammit, I guess I should read all the posts before posting. Smile

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

They won't pay Zetterberg more than Lidstrom.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:They won't pay Zetterberg more than Lidstrom.
Sure they will. We paid Spezz and Heater more than Alfie. Zetterberg is one of the best two way forwards in the game, if not the best. This is a deal that works for both parties.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:They won't pay Zetterberg more than Lidstrom.

7.4 then, it'll be really close, but yes, this was a primary issue going forward. They set the cap precedent with Lidstrom and they would like all salaries to be below his.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=DET

add that zetterberg salary and they will have like 8 million, if the cap stays the same, to sign:
HOssa
franzen
samuellsson
hudler
a goalie

is it safe to say marian hossa will be in another jersey next season?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum