GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zetterberg Signs 12 Year Deal with Wings

+5
SensGirl11
COLLAR UP
PKC
The_Dude
LeCaptain
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264864&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main

The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to a contract extension with forward Henrik Zetterberg worth slightly more than US$72 million over 12 years.

6 Million$ per year...

That's what I call a bargain, my friends.

EDIT: The last 2 years, he will be paid 1M$ each year.

Last edited by marakh on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

The_Dude

The_Dude
Prospect
Prospect

Its a bargain as long as he remains healthy.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264864&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main

The Detroit Red Wings have agreed to a contract extension with forward Henrik Zetterberg worth slightly more than US$72 million over 12 years.

6 Million$ per year...

It's a short term bargain.

It might or might not be a bargain when he is 36-40 years old with a $6 million cap hit.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Of course yeah, it IS a short term bargain, but that could garantee a cup contender team for at least 5 years.
Compared to Lecavalier, it's an awesome deal for the Wings IMO.

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

why can't we have deals that nice...and players that good...lol...

6Zetterberg Signs 12 Year Deal with Wings Empty Zetterberg Signs 12 Year Deal with Wings Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

So it is done, Zetterberg has signed his extension with the Wings. 12 Years - $72 Million.

WOW!

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2009/01/28/8176006.html

So that works out to $6 Million Per...

Very good deal by the Wings.

Charles Wang: '12 years is for suckers. 15 years is a real commitment. Where is that DiPietro kid?... Oh crap... '

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Eat Dung and die Red Wings.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Way too long of a term. I'm glad Murray hasn't gotten himself into contracts of that length. I know he's Zetterberg but it's still too long IMO.

- Unknown Author

PKC wrote:
marakh wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264864&lid=sublink05&lpos=headlines_main

6 Million$ per year...

It might or might not be a bargain when he is 36-40 years old with a $6 million cap hit.
If he retires the cap hit disappears. That is the difference with signings prior to the age of 35. This is way Alfie's new contract is sooooo bad.

RobbyJ wrote:
PKC wrote:

6 Million$ per year...

If he retires the cap hit disappears. That is the difference with signings prior to the age of 35. This is way Alfie's new contract is sooooo bad.
Seriously...I think Murray was too concerned with trying to make up for Alfie's last contract getting slashed after the lockout.

And who gives a Dung if its a "short term bargain"? That 36-40 timeline is Diddle 7 years from now...They've got the best two way forward in the game locked up all the way through his prime for MFing 6M per season.
Assuming he stays healthy - signings don't get any better than this.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

The reality is that it's more like $70M for 10years; he will probably retire at 38 or sooner, thus at least two years at $1M per year are gone, with the cap hit. Thus a $7M+ player with a $6M cap hit.

That's why they will stay at the top of the heap.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:The reality is that it's more like $70M for 10years; he will probably retire at 38 or sooner, thus at least two years at $1M per year are gone, with the cap hit. Thus a $7M+ player with a $6M cap hit.

Nope.

This is the year that all the success starts to catch up with the Wings, financially. After Zetterberg, they've still got to deal with Hossa, Franzen, and Hudler... and they're already over $46 mil in salary for next year. They'll only be able to keep one of those two big guys, plus maybe Hudler.

People look at the "top-heavy" Sens and laugh / say "that's the problem", but you can't avoid it in this cap era. High-end talent on a successful team = a big payday, sooner or later. We had too many top-end players come up for RFA / UFA at one time, and right after a trip to the SCFs. DET will be paying 21+ mil for 4 forwards before you can say "Heatley/Spezza/Alfie/Fisher".

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

They won the cup without HOssa, so I dont know why they would suffer without him. When Franzen's next contract will expire, they will have another one coming from the farm who rips it all.
If The Sens had just ONE promising first line player or ONE top pairing Defenseman coming from the drafts in the last 3-4 years, we wouldn't be in that mess.

rooneypoo wrote:
Acrobat wrote:The reality is that it's more like $70M for 10years; he will probably retire at 38 or sooner, thus at least two years at $1M per year are gone, with the cap hit. Thus a $7M+ player with a $6M cap hit.

Nope.

This is the year that all the success starts to catch up with the Wings, financially. After Zetterberg, they've still got to deal with Hossa, Franzen, and Hudler... and they're already over $46 mil in salary for next year. They'll only be able to keep one of those two big guys, plus maybe Hudler.

People look at the "top-heavy" Sens and laugh / say "that's the problem", but you can't avoid it in this cap era. High-end talent on a successful team = a big payday, sooner or later. We had too many top-end players come up for RFA / UFA at one time, and right after a trip to the SCFs. DET will be paying 21+ mil for 4 forwards before you can say "Heatley/Spezza/Alfie/Fisher".
Regardless, a 6M cap hit for arguably one of the best 5 forwards in the game is a huge advantage moving forward.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum