GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zetterberg Signs 12 Year Deal with Wings

+5
SensGirl11
COLLAR UP
PKC
The_Dude
LeCaptain
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:The reality is that it's more like $70M for 10years; he will probably retire at 38 or sooner, thus at least two years at $1M per year are gone, with the cap hit. Thus a $7M+ player with a $6M cap hit.

That's why they will stay at the top of the heap.

Nope.

This is the year that all the success starts to catch up with the Wings, financially. After Zetterberg, they've still got to deal with Hossa, Franzen, and Hudler... and they're already over $46 mil in salary for next year. They'll only be able to keep one of those two big guys, plus maybe Hudler.

People look at the "top-heavy" Sens and laugh / say "that's the problem", but you can't avoid it in this cap era. High-end talent on a successful team = a big payday, sooner or later. We had too many top-end players come up for RFA / UFA at one time, and right after a trip to the SCFs. DET will be paying 21+ mil for 4 forwards before you can say "Heatley/Spezza/Alfie/Fisher".

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

They won the cup without HOssa, so I dont know why they would suffer without him. When Franzen's next contract will expire, they will have another one coming from the farm who rips it all.
If The Sens had just ONE promising first line player or ONE top pairing Defenseman coming from the drafts in the last 3-4 years, we wouldn't be in that mess.

rooneypoo wrote:
Acrobat wrote:The reality is that it's more like $70M for 10years; he will probably retire at 38 or sooner, thus at least two years at $1M per year are gone, with the cap hit. Thus a $7M+ player with a $6M cap hit.

Nope.

This is the year that all the success starts to catch up with the Wings, financially. After Zetterberg, they've still got to deal with Hossa, Franzen, and Hudler... and they're already over $46 mil in salary for next year. They'll only be able to keep one of those two big guys, plus maybe Hudler.

People look at the "top-heavy" Sens and laugh / say "that's the problem", but you can't avoid it in this cap era. High-end talent on a successful team = a big payday, sooner or later. We had too many top-end players come up for RFA / UFA at one time, and right after a trip to the SCFs. DET will be paying 21+ mil for 4 forwards before you can say "Heatley/Spezza/Alfie/Fisher".
Regardless, a 6M cap hit for arguably one of the best 5 forwards in the game is a huge advantage moving forward.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Nope.

Regardless, a 6M cap hit for arguably one of the best 5 forwards in the game is a huge advantage moving forward.

Zetterberg is a great player, but he's not in my top 5. Top 10, maybe, but not top 5.

And before you freak out, consider this:

Zetterberg is 29, which means he'll be 41 at the end of this deal; he hasn't exactly been a consistent performer -- he's only ever had 2 seasons of scoring at a PPG pace (and they weren't consecutive) in 6 NHL seasons; and he's a little fragile, having never played a full season in his NHL career -- he's missed 92 games in 6 seasons, which means that, on average, he misses 15 games a season.

Anyway, my whole point is the DET is not immune to what's happening across the NHL in terms of the long-term consequences of the cap -- especially in the context of good players on a successful team. Three years from now, DET's situation will be largely indistinguishable from all the other teams in the NHL, and we'll be wondering how it happened. And that's when we'll finally accept that no team, no GM, is immune from the cap. To quote another poster: just remember you heard it from me first. Smile

No one can reasonably disagree with that last point ^ but they got Zetterberg for the same amount that EDM is paying for MFing Horcoff Suspect
Top-5; top-10; who cares...That is an outstanding signing, as long as he stays relatively healthy.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Nope.

Zetterberg is a great player, but he's not in my top 5. Top 10, maybe, but not top 5.

And before you freak out, consider this:

Zetterberg is 29, which means he'll be 41 at the end of this deal; he hasn't exactly been a consistent performer -- he's only ever had 2 seasons of scoring at a PPG pace (and they weren't consecutive) in 6 NHL seasons; and he's a little fragile, having never played a full season in his NHL career -- he's missed 92 games in 6 seasons, which means that, on average, he misses 15 games a season.

Anyway, my whole point is the DET is not immune to what's happening across the NHL in terms of the long-term consequences of the cap -- especially in the context of good players on a successful team. Three years from now, DET's situation will be largely indistinguishable from all the other teams in the NHL, and we'll be wondering how it happened. And that's when we'll finally accept that no team, no GM, is immune from the cap. To quote another poster: just remember you heard it from me first. Smile

How about this though... He is payed s/thing like 7.5 M for 8 years (until he is 37), then he is payed like 5M for 2 years (37-39), then 1Mllion each for the last 2...

THat`s pretty awesome IMO. 6M of cap, which will help the organization, with salaries declining as he gets older.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Take the comparisons a bit further - his cap hit is $1M less than Penner's, and only $1.8M more than Fisher's. Considering it's $1M and $1.5M less than Spezza and Heatley respectively, and that they are certainly fair comparators, I'd say that Detroit managed to come away with a bargain.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of a NMC/NTC/etc - I'd assume it's there, but what are the terms?

I would put money on it being a NMC

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum