GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TSN: Caps set to make A-Train massive offer

+10
caissie_1
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Phoenix30
shabbs
sens4win
cain69
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322478

It appears Anton Volchenkov's days with the Ottawa Senators are numbered.

According to the Ottawa Sun, the Senators defenceman has put his house up for sale amid speculation he will sign as an unrestricted free agent with the Washington Capitals this summer.

The report indicates the Capitals are set to offer Volchenkov a contract in the neighbourhood of $5 million per season with the bonus being the chance to play with countrymen Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin and a solid chance to win a Stanley Cup.

Although the Senators would like to retain Volchenkov's services, the financial reality is that he may be too expensive on the free agent market. The stay-at-home defenceman made $3.2 million this season, scoring four goals and adding 10 assists in 64 games anchoring the Ottawa defence.

''I'd like to re-sign him, but the dollars don't work at the present asking price,” Senators GM Bryan Murray told the Ottawa Sun on Saturday.

Senators defenceman Andy Sutton is also slated to become an unrestrcited free agent on July 1.

5 million dollars per year...

I love A-Train, but they'll regret that sooner rather than later.

cain69

Prospect
Prospect

Time to start listening to offers Murry TSN: Caps set to make A-Train massive offer 159628

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle this, this is borderline tampering, what can we get from the Caps for his rights? Otherwise he's going somewhere else and they'll be forced to wait until July 1 when anything can happen?

A 2nd rounder for his rights, right now.

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

we are loosing a great players with nothing in return, how much will they really give us, and how do they have the cap space for all of this?? semin has to be leaving

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

sens4win wrote:we are loosing a great players with nothing in return, how much will they really give us, and how do they have the cap space for all of this?? semin has to be leaving

Eventually Semin will leave after next season I would imagine. For now they'll move Fleishmann and Morrisonn to make room, plus Theodore's coming off the books.

I bet it's more along the 4.75 lines (still too much).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Watch it be a 5x5... we're gonna get nothing for him. Bah.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Watch it be a 5x5... we're gonna get nothing for him. Bah.

We'll get a new player and continue our new philosophy of having some offence from the backend. A-Train was amazing for us, but it was time to turn the page and get a Z.Michalek or a Hamhuis in here IMO.

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Watch it be a 5x5... we're gonna get nothing for him. Bah.

We'll get a new player and continue our new philosophy of having some offence from the backend. A-Train was amazing for us, but it was time to turn the page and get a Z.Michalek or a Hamhuis in here IMO.
as much as i liked volchie's shot blocking he had no offence in him, which is why i agree with everyone saying that 5 mill is to much,

The fact that this supposed offer is out there now, really hampers any effort Murray can make to deal his rights.

If it's a poorly kept secret that he is destined for Washington, what GM would step up and offer Murray an asset for his rights? None, I suspect, but we'll see.

In hindsight, we should have dealt him at the deadline. We would have made the playoffs anyway, and things would have been no different except that maybe we don't get that 3rd home game (revenue).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:The fact that this supposed offer is out there now, really hampers any effort Murray can make to deal his rights.

If it's a poorly kept secret that he is destined for Washington, what GM would step up and offer Murray an asset for his rights? None, I suspect, but we'll see.

In hindsight, we should have dealt him at the deadline. We would have made the playoffs anyway, and things would have been no different except that maybe we don't get that 3rd home game (revenue).

Who knows about the playoffs? Look at Hal Gil and the Montreal Canadiens. You have to give your team the best chance.

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:The fact that this supposed offer is out there now, really hampers any effort Murray can make to deal his rights.

Who knows about the playoffs? Look at Hal Gil and the Montreal Canadiens. You have to give your team the best chance.

Oh yeah, I meant in hindsight. At the time Murray made the right move. It just may not feel like it when an 8 year Senator walks for nothing (or next to it).

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Well if indeed an offer is out there then it would be considered tampering. So one would think/hope a trade would be in the works.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I guess that's what that little talk with Ovechkin and Semin was all about ....

Phoenix30 wrote:

Well if indeed an offer is out there then it would be considered tampering. So one would think/hope a trade would be in the works.

McPhee isn't dumb enough to have a firm offer in hand yet. He knows it's tampering and that would cost the Caps alot more in terms of fines and possible compensation for the Sens than just keeping quiet in hope that Volchie wants to go to Washington, or a trade for his rights.

Still, I don't like that fact that media outlets like tsn are reporting this. If they've decided to report it, there is likely fire there instead of just smoke. The league may be inclined to investigate these "reports".

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
McPhee isn't dumb enough to have a firm offer in hand yet. He knows it's tampering and that would cost the Caps alot more in terms of fines and possible compensation for the Sens than just keeping quiet in hope that Volchie wants to go to Washington, or a trade for his rights.

Still, I don't like that fact that media outlets like tsn are reporting this. If they've decided to report it, there is likely fire there instead of just smoke. The league may be inclined to investigate these "reports".

Could this work against McPhee though? It finally comes to print from a big outlet, meanwhile Teams A, B and C all want Volchenkov very badly. They decide now would be the time to make a move and acquire his rights to try to land him. McPhee is now in a position where he better hope he wins the day on A-Train, usually when a player's rights are traded it means there's smoke.

Who knows, all I know is I want a new D-man who can move the puck. Again, I love A-Train, but that ship has sailed and I'm prepped to move on and still like him wherever he goes. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum