GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TSN: Caps set to make A-Train massive offer

+10
caissie_1
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Phoenix30
shabbs
sens4win
cain69
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I guess that's what that little talk with Ovechkin and Semin was all about ....

Phoenix30 wrote:
hemlock wrote:The fact that this supposed offer is out there now, really hampers any effort Murray can make to deal his rights.

If it's a poorly kept secret that he is destined for Washington, what GM would step up and offer Murray an asset for his rights? None, I suspect, but we'll see.

In hindsight, we should have dealt him at the deadline. We would have made the playoffs anyway, and things would have been no different except that maybe we don't get that 3rd home game (revenue).

Well if indeed an offer is out there then it would be considered tampering. So one would think/hope a trade would be in the works.

McPhee isn't dumb enough to have a firm offer in hand yet. He knows it's tampering and that would cost the Caps alot more in terms of fines and possible compensation for the Sens than just keeping quiet in hope that Volchie wants to go to Washington, or a trade for his rights.

Still, I don't like that fact that media outlets like tsn are reporting this. If they've decided to report it, there is likely fire there instead of just smoke. The league may be inclined to investigate these "reports".

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
McPhee isn't dumb enough to have a firm offer in hand yet. He knows it's tampering and that would cost the Caps alot more in terms of fines and possible compensation for the Sens than just keeping quiet in hope that Volchie wants to go to Washington, or a trade for his rights.

Still, I don't like that fact that media outlets like tsn are reporting this. If they've decided to report it, there is likely fire there instead of just smoke. The league may be inclined to investigate these "reports".

Could this work against McPhee though? It finally comes to print from a big outlet, meanwhile Teams A, B and C all want Volchenkov very badly. They decide now would be the time to make a move and acquire his rights to try to land him. McPhee is now in a position where he better hope he wins the day on A-Train, usually when a player's rights are traded it means there's smoke.

Who knows, all I know is I want a new D-man who can move the puck. Again, I love A-Train, but that ship has sailed and I'm prepped to move on and still like him wherever he goes. Smile

Possibly it could work against McPhee. If it's known around the league that Volchie prefers Washington, there doesn't seem to be much sense in another team picking up his rights though. Perhaps a team who has an extra 3rd or something may take a chance on trying to sign him.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Is this some attempt by Washington to let him know to wait for their offer on July 1st ?

Is this Ottawa trying to stir interest in a trade for his rights ?

How does a story like this surface ?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This story was speculation, that's why they pulled it off the site.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

BTW, TSN's sources is the Sun eh...

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i don't think we could get anything for A-train's rights... maybe a conditional 3rd at best.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:i don't think we could get anything for A-train's rights... maybe a conditional 3rd at best.

Anything is better then nothing... Hopefully we get atleast a 3rd.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Murray needs to have the following two things:

1. Washington being genuinely interested (debatable when you look at their cap situation)
2. Another team willing to offer something to Murray for A-Train's negotiating rights

It didn't help that Volchenkov only wants to play in the East. Still, if the Rangers are interested, that's all Murray needs in order to drive up the price.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:Murray needs to have the following two things:

1. Washington being genuinely interested (debatable when you look at their cap situation)
2. Another team willing to offer something to Murray for A-Train's negotiating rights

It didn't help that Volchenkov only wants to play in the East. Still, if the Rangers are interested, that's all Murray needs in order to drive up the price.

In the East only?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Murray needs to have the following two things:

In the East only?

That was his preference as he indicated in some interview, a Yahoo article maybe? If I were LA, I'd look at getting him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wonder how he'll do if Washington gets him and he's paired with Green...

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I wonder how he'll do if Washington gets him and he's paired with Green...

And the answer is...fail miserably.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Not a lot of love for the guy who will the Norris this year.

Volchenkov makes any team better. He's just not worth $5 million to Ottawa, but he very well may be to another team like Washington.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't get me wrong, I love A-Train, he'll be a warrior wherever he goes. Its just time for a puck mover to take his spot. Or at least someone who can move the puck.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:Not a lot of love for the guy who will the Norris this year.

Volchenkov makes any team better. He's just not worth $5 million to Ottawa, but he very well may be to another team like Washington.

and who's that?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I think Green will win it over Keith and Doughty. I'd vote for Keith myself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum