GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We all know the value of Volchenkov and what he brings to the table as Sens fans. What is that worth? Is it worth more to the Senators as a member of our Defense core or as a trade-able asset?

Lets be honest here. Based on the Senators performance so far this season it does not look like a playoff bound team. Sure we currently hold down a playoff spot with games in hand but, based on our winning percentage spread over the full season we can expect to miss the playoffs this year unless there is a bit of a turn around over then next month or two. Even if we make the playoffs does anyone really believe we'll make some noise this season?

I can't tell you what will happen and can only give you my opinion on the situation. I would personally hate to see Volchenkov go but he is a very valuable asset that could bring back pieces that are sorely missed in the prospect cupboard. There is very little in the way of true top end first line forward talent in the Senators system right now and I believe that a playoff team, looking for that last key piece, would be willing to give that up for a shot this year in a trade for Volchenkov.

Assuming we hold onto Volchenkov he will likely be signed for at least 4 years for somewhere around 4 Million per season. That cap hit plus his roster spot will handcuff the Senators somewhat. Our D with Volchenkov.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Carkner

What do we do with Lee, Campoli & Picard. You can make Lee or Carkner your 7th D but then you still have Campoli and Picard to deal with. Then in a couple years you'll also have Wiercioch looking for a roster spot. You could manage by not re-signing Kuba I suppose.

Now if you move Volchenkov and get that Blue chip forward you save a big chunk on the Cap and you've got a guy that could come in either next season or the season after and step right into the top 6 without missing a beat most likely. Then you have a D that looks more like this or some variation of this.

Kuba - Karlsson

Phillips - Campoli/Picard

Cowen - Lee

7th D - Carkner

In this scenario you only have one D man to decide on whether to trade or walk away from. Will it be Picard or Campoli? You also have a very good and very cheap D core for the next few years. Just enough time to make a real run at the Cup.

- Unknown Author
Share this post on: reddit

More then that, Phillips and Kuba will help bring along a really young group of D that will learn on the job in a big way. The time those kids will recieve will be invaluable in short order. You have guys like Carkner back there to protect them as well.

Also having a really yoiung D core will put a lot more of the forward in terms of coming back, playing a sound defensive game, and being responsible with the puck.

I dont expect The Sens with that defence to make the playoffs next year nor should anyone but right now they are in rebuild mode whether some people want to say it or not.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 am by Cap'n Clutch

I think Cowen and Karlsson can be impact players next season personally. Especially if they are insulated with guys like Phillips, Kuba and Carkner. If Leclaire regains his form and Elliott continues to improve the Sens should make the playoffs. Will they go anywhere next season? I doubt it. Now 2011/12? Certainly we should expect some serious improvement don't you?

Riprock

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 am by Riprock

We all love Volchenkov and would hate to see him go, but I think it is too costly to keep him, Kuba and Phillips together, so one of them would have to go. An un-signed Volchenkov is a huge boost to a contending team. He can bring them so much value. He is truly a player that demonstrates heart and self-sacrifice.

If he does want $3+ million, then Ottawa might have to explore other options.

The return would have to be very rich for Ottawa though. A 1st (likely a very late pick) and at least 1 forward and 1 defensive prospect?

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 am by Cap'n Clutch

Dash wrote:We all love Volchenkov and would hate to see him go, but I think it is too costly to keep him, Kuba and Phillips together, so one of them would have to go. An un-signed Volchenkov is a huge boost to a contending team. He can bring them so much value. He is truly a player that demonstrates heart and self-sacrifice.

The return would have to be very rich for Ottawa though. A 1st (likely a very late pick) and at least 1 forward and 1 defensive prospect?

That sounds like a lot for a Defensive D man. Is he going to snag that much? I would be pleasantly surprised. If it does happen it will likely be on Deadline day.

Dash wrote:We all love Volchenkov and would hate to see him go, but I think it is too costly to keep him, Kuba and Phillips together, so one of them would have to go. An un-signed Volchenkov is a huge boost to a contending team. He can bring them so much value. He is truly a player that demonstrates heart and self-sacrifice.

Not that much, that's a little over board. The example I use and will continue to is Beach (11th overall) and a 2nd for A Train.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am by Cap'n Clutch

N4L wrote:

Not that much, that's a little over board. The example I use and will continue to is Beach (11th overall) and a 2nd for A Train.

Sounds good to me. When could we expect to see Beach make an impact on the Sens?

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 am by Guest

A year, maybe 2. Physically he is ready but his maturity is a little questionable.

SeawaySensFan

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 am by SeawaySensFan

How do you say "all aboard" in Russian?

Just kidding. I thought Volchenkov was just another Russian in a contract year last time around. He signed a reasonable deal and still kept bringing it. I don't think there will be a dilemma. I predict a relatively cheap signing.

SensGirl11

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 am by SensGirl11

BLASPHEMY! I refuse to read anything that involves any trade talk about Volchenkov. Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town? 797712 Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town? 555492

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:47 am by Cap'n Clutch

I just wrote what a lot of people were thinking. It's a hot topic right now don't you think? Ahhhhh!

SDH89

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 am by SDH89

Definately would want more for A-Train than a nut job with a history of concussions. Sure he has some serious skill, but too many question marks. I still firmly believe we're better off keeping Anton (hopefully hometown discount), than to deal him off. If we do trade him, a 1st round pick better be coming back the other way.

SensGirl11

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:57 am by SensGirl11

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I just wrote what a lot of people were thinking. It's a hot topic right now don't you think? Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town? 235689

Fair enough, I just can't imagine trading him. But, I can see where you're coming from and what the value of him could be. I think we should keep him though, so that's my vote. Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town? 54934

Riprock

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:27 pm by Riprock

His value will be determined by desperation, need and potential bidding war. You really wouldn't want to be the team that missed out on him only to have to play against him in a 7 game series.

While we know he is not going to score you any goals, he is an all-around solid player. He rarely makes defensive gaffs and he is obviously known for devastating, game changing hits and laying his body on the line to prevent goals. Thisi s a guy that many teams would love as a rental, cause if the team goes far, he will take quite a beating.

SensHulk

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:51 pm by SensHulk

My vote is a definitive NO. We don't have another defenceman laying any sort of physical game that Volchie does. Simply put, he brings elements that no other defenceman on our team brings...maybe Carkner but he'll be bottom 2 defenceman for a while. Most of the others bring the same game: no physicality, no offense, and in the case of campoli and picard, plenty of give-a-aways. Lets get rid of these guys somehow....

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum