GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We all know the value of Volchenkov and what he brings to the table as Sens fans. What is that worth? Is it worth more to the Senators as a member of our Defense core or as a trade-able asset?

Lets be honest here. Based on the Senators performance so far this season it does not look like a playoff bound team. Sure we currently hold down a playoff spot with games in hand but, based on our winning percentage spread over the full season we can expect to miss the playoffs this year unless there is a bit of a turn around over then next month or two. Even if we make the playoffs does anyone really believe we'll make some noise this season?

I can't tell you what will happen and can only give you my opinion on the situation. I would personally hate to see Volchenkov go but he is a very valuable asset that could bring back pieces that are sorely missed in the prospect cupboard. There is very little in the way of true top end first line forward talent in the Senators system right now and I believe that a playoff team, looking for that last key piece, would be willing to give that up for a shot this year in a trade for Volchenkov.

Assuming we hold onto Volchenkov he will likely be signed for at least 4 years for somewhere around 4 Million per season. That cap hit plus his roster spot will handcuff the Senators somewhat. Our D with Volchenkov.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Carkner

What do we do with Lee, Campoli & Picard. You can make Lee or Carkner your 7th D but then you still have Campoli and Picard to deal with. Then in a couple years you'll also have Wiercioch looking for a roster spot. You could manage by not re-signing Kuba I suppose.

Now if you move Volchenkov and get that Blue chip forward you save a big chunk on the Cap and you've got a guy that could come in either next season or the season after and step right into the top 6 without missing a beat most likely. Then you have a D that looks more like this or some variation of this.

Kuba - Karlsson

Phillips - Campoli/Picard

Cowen - Lee

7th D - Carkner

In this scenario you only have one D man to decide on whether to trade or walk away from. Will it be Picard or Campoli? You also have a very good and very cheap D core for the next few years. Just enough time to make a real run at the Cup.

Share this post on: reddit

Yuuuup, if they lose one more in regulation it was a disater of a road trip getting MAX 3 of 10 points and the schedual only gets harder from here as well.

Like I said, The Sens season will be decided by Christmas (give or take) and right now it's looking like they better start selling off some pieces at some point. A Train in the short term and they better get Spezza out of town before next year because he has just been an epic failure since signing his big deal.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 am by Guest

I can only see three teams being legitimately interested in Spezza: Edmonton, Florida, Colorado, and Columbus, but neither has a legit #1 center coming back.

I would consider the following more than a lot for Spezza: Edmonton: Cogliano, O'Marra, Edm 1st
Columbus: Brassard, Columbus 1st
Florida: Horton, Frolik, Ellerby

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:54 am by Guest

I dont think Columbus would have any intrest personally, no way does he fit in there. A Train? That's something I can see Columbus really wanting.

I can see Pheonix making a run at Spezza for Turris and Mueller say.

SeawaySensFan

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:55 am by SeawaySensFan

N4L wrote:I dont think Columbus would have any intrest personally, no way does he fit in there. A Train? That's something I can see Columbus really wanting.

I can see Pheonix making a run at Spezza for Turris and Mueller say.

After losing so convincingly to the universally-hate Leafs, I think they would be more interest than ever.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:57 am by Guest

Maybe, I def could be wrong here and about Columbus, I just dont see it personally.

Hoags

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 am by Hoags

I'm weary of trading A-train, not sure we'll get someone back who will the big defensive hole we'll have with him gone.

I do not want to lose him as a FA, Redden, Chara ... it has to stop.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am by Guest

Kovalfie wrote:I can only see three teams being legitimately interested in Spezza: Edmonton, Florida, Colorado, and Columbus, but neither has a legit #1 center coming back.

I would consider the following more than a lot for Spezza: Edmonton: Cogliano, O'Marra, Edm 1st
Columbus: Brassard, Columbus 1st
Florida: Horton, Frolik, Ellerby
Cogliano, O'Marra, Edm 1st - Cogs is average, O'Mara is garbage, 1st is good. Not enough salary coming back.

Brassard, Columbus 1st - I can't see Columbus as a fit.

Horton, Frolik, Ellerby - Way too much to give up for Florida. Salaries don't match.

A team no one has mentionned that looks like a good fit to me is Minnesota.

They have space and a need.

Forget about getting Brent Burns.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:03 am by Guest

Hoags wrote:I'm weary of trading A-train, not sure we'll get someone back who will the big defensive hole we'll have with him gone.

Cowen will probably make his pitch in Ottawa next year and if that's the plan, on a current non playoff team, you might have to deal him.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:28 am by Guest

Hitchcock was singing Spezza's praises in the WHC last summer and what better way to rejuvenate his career with Huselius and Nash on his wings, not to mention they have the cap space and tons of assets to trade.

Hoags

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 am by Hoags

[quote="N4L"]
Hoags wrote:

Cowen will probably make his pitch in Ottawa next year and if that's the plan, on a current non playoff team, you might have to deal him.

I'm weary of expecting Cowen to step in and be effective right away. He might but it's a bit much to expect him to replace A-train right away. We need to be ready for him to go through Karlsson/Schenn-like growing pains.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 am by Guest

Maybe... I jsut dont see it though. I dont think I would screw with that teams core, just the coach. I cant stand Hitch and I think he's probably one of the worst HEAD coaches around. The guy knows the game, but IMO, he doesnt know how to run a team unless it's decked out with vets...

maybe you guys have a point but I still woulnt screw with it.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am by Guest

N4L wrote:
Hoags wrote:I'm weary of trading A-train, not sure we'll get someone back who will the big defensive hole we'll have with him gone.

We'll have to see how Cowen and Wiercioch play at the WJHC. Could be very indicative of what Ottawa plans to do. Cowen dominates, Volchenkov could be as good as gone at the trade deadline.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 am by Guest

If Ottawa is out of the playoffs and The Sens can get a guy like Kyle Beech, you do it. Talk about the PERFECT player to learn from a Mike Fisher.

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm by Guest

I just want a player who will drive to the net and make a move on a 1 on 2 instead of dumping the puck in the corner and going for a change. Enough with the perimeter players, it's time to get some skill a la Robert Nilsson last night. Spezza is just too upsetting to watch

LeCaptain

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:26 pm by LeCaptain

Cowen's knee is not ready yet, let's not assume he's gonna replace Volchenkov's assets next year. A lot of WHL followers say he is still not as good as the Memorial cup year.

Cowen's having some difficulty with his lateral movement, yeah. These injuries take upwards of a year to heal, I'm told. He's still a wonderful skater as is.

I don't disagree that it might be prudent to let him take another year in the 'Dub and really focus on his offensive game. As valuable as a shut-down defender is, he's always more valuable if he can provide offence as well.

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:48 am by Guest

I think a fair value trade would be Volchenkov and Foligno to Chicago for Beach and Barker. It's a win-win for both sides

Hoags

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm by Hoags

With our friends in Toronto acquiring Phaneuf I'd say it's more important than ever that we keep the A-train.

Phaneuf can always be counted on laying out the open-ice hits, outside of A-train we don't have any to fill that void.

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum