GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the A-Train make a one way trip out of town?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We all know the value of Volchenkov and what he brings to the table as Sens fans. What is that worth? Is it worth more to the Senators as a member of our Defense core or as a trade-able asset?

Lets be honest here. Based on the Senators performance so far this season it does not look like a playoff bound team. Sure we currently hold down a playoff spot with games in hand but, based on our winning percentage spread over the full season we can expect to miss the playoffs this year unless there is a bit of a turn around over then next month or two. Even if we make the playoffs does anyone really believe we'll make some noise this season?

I can't tell you what will happen and can only give you my opinion on the situation. I would personally hate to see Volchenkov go but he is a very valuable asset that could bring back pieces that are sorely missed in the prospect cupboard. There is very little in the way of true top end first line forward talent in the Senators system right now and I believe that a playoff team, looking for that last key piece, would be willing to give that up for a shot this year in a trade for Volchenkov.

Assuming we hold onto Volchenkov he will likely be signed for at least 4 years for somewhere around 4 Million per season. That cap hit plus his roster spot will handcuff the Senators somewhat. Our D with Volchenkov.

Phillips - Volchenkov

Kuba - Karlsson

Cowen - Carkner

What do we do with Lee, Campoli & Picard. You can make Lee or Carkner your 7th D but then you still have Campoli and Picard to deal with. Then in a couple years you'll also have Wiercioch looking for a roster spot. You could manage by not re-signing Kuba I suppose.

Now if you move Volchenkov and get that Blue chip forward you save a big chunk on the Cap and you've got a guy that could come in either next season or the season after and step right into the top 6 without missing a beat most likely. Then you have a D that looks more like this or some variation of this.

Kuba - Karlsson

Phillips - Campoli/Picard

Cowen - Lee

7th D - Carkner

In this scenario you only have one D man to decide on whether to trade or walk away from. Will it be Picard or Campoli? You also have a very good and very cheap D core for the next few years. Just enough time to make a real run at the Cup.

Share this post on: reddit

Cowen's having some difficulty with his lateral movement, yeah. These injuries take upwards of a year to heal, I'm told. He's still a wonderful skater as is.

I don't disagree that it might be prudent to let him take another year in the 'Dub and really focus on his offensive game. As valuable as a shut-down defender is, he's always more valuable if he can provide offence as well.

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:48 am by Guest

I think a fair value trade would be Volchenkov and Foligno to Chicago for Beach and Barker. It's a win-win for both sides

Hoags

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 pm by Hoags

With our friends in Toronto acquiring Phaneuf I'd say it's more important than ever that we keep the A-train.

Phaneuf can always be counted on laying out the open-ice hits, outside of A-train we don't have any to fill that void.

PTFlea

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:11 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:With our friends in Toronto acquiring Phaneuf I'd say it's more important than ever that we keep the A-train.

Phaneuf can always be counted on laying out the open-ice hits, outside of A-train we don't have any to fill that void.

I was thinking that from the second I heard about Phaneuf. Re-sign A-Train immediately!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Good point Hoags but I wouldn't do it at any price.

Hoags

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:45 pm by Hoags

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Good point Hoags but I wouldn't do it at any price.

No at any price but we should make every attempt and maybe even be prepared go slightly over our expectations.

Ideally we'd have a prospect D-man ready to take A-train's place but I don't think we do (Cowen ?).

sens4win

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 pm by sens4win

Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Good point Hoags but I wouldn't do it at any price.

No at any price but we should make every attempt and maybe even be prepared go slightly over our expectations.

Ideally we'd have a prospect D-man ready to take A-train's place but I don't think we do (Cowen ?).
if we loose volchenkov the battle of ontario wont be the same, phaneuf vs volchie that's a different story. i would rather give up campoli and some other dead wait salary to re-sign volchie and move up Cowen when we feel he is ready.

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum