GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010

+15
Hoags
Tuk Tuk
beedub
caissie_1
dennycrane
LeCaptain
Hockeyhero22000
pegsensfan
stempniaksen
Ev
Riprock
SensHulk
PTFlea
TheAvatar
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Ottawa @ Vancouver, March 13, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap233%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 3 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap222%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 22% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap244%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 44% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So Mendes tweeted that media in Edmonton and Calgary were 'completely blown away by Erik Karlsson'.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Clouston speaks to media (yesterday afternoon):
http://bit.ly/dkpNC9

Kelly is a maybe.

Feels they outplayed Calgary in every category except goals; ran into hot goaltender, disallowed goal, crossbar and post. Still sounds frustrated about the goal called back (although the reporters kinda baited him a bit).

Doesn't think the "first game after a road trip" applies in the same way, since they've been home a couple of days already.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

BTW, here's the disallowed goal. You can clearly see the puck about to hit his stick. He's got both hands tight to his body, just above his waist. The stick is angled slightly up but there is no way in the world anyone with a brain could say it was above the height of the crossbar. Absolutely none. The only thing I can say is that this was a case of the replay guys in TO not having a ruler on the ice, next to Michalek, so they could not *definitively* say where it was, thus they could not over-rule the call on the ice.

I have been saying for years that they need to let the game officials make the call based on *their own eyes* watching the replays. The current method is like a video version of the broken telephone game. They have on-field monitors for the refs in the NFL, don't they?

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 72220_133

You can see the video replay here, starting at about the 1:08 mark:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,998

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, about that screen cap above, his stick is actually being brought down to delect the puck, and the puck hits close to the middle of the stick, not the blade.

What they need to do is make sure all unis have a couple of stripes or other easy to spot items around the shoulder/chest/waist regions, then immediately after a questionable goal have the scorer go and stand next to the goal, so they can get a visual cue as to where the cross-bar is relative to those markers.

But in any case, no matter what they eventually decided to do, it is *ridiculous* that, in this day and age, with the tech available to us, they could not get the video to the on-ice officials. Hell, the time-keeper must have a laptop, what would it cost to provide in-house wireless streaming from the replay booth? Ideally they need a high-def monitor at the time-keeper's area, hooked up (wireless would be cheap and easy) to the upstairs replay booth. Surely, if they can stream the video to guys in Toronto, 100s if not 1000s of kilometers away, it would be even easier to stream it only 100 feet or so.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We're just 2 points back of Buffalo with the Sabres holding 2 games in hand. The Sens are 4-0 against Buffalo this season. Strangers things than going 6-0 have happened in the past (I'm talking about *you*, Tim Thomas!!) The next game against the Sabres is March 26 in Buffalo, then we close out the regular season against them at home on April 10. It's not going to be easy, but it's certainly possible. It could be quite a game April 10, with at least 3rd seed on the line.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm also ticked off because that would have been another assist for Karlsson. He's 4 points behind Hedman (who sis floundering -- he is something like -7 in his last 6 games and his ice time has gone down from 20 to 13 or something like that -- yeah, Tocchet noticed). Don't know why it's important to me but it is. I want our 19-year-old Swedish rookie defenseman to be better than theirs. It's as simple as that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some more here:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2010/03/12/13215401.html
Apparently Bieksa (lacerated tendons) could suit up against the Sens. Bring it on. Nothing like a defenseman who hasn't played a game in three months to help out an offense struggling to score.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Minor updates to first post -- fixed the NHL game day preview link (can you believe it, NHL and ESPN number the games differently; you can't use one link to assume what the other one will be). Anyhow, both preview links now have updated stories.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I really should bookmark DGB. I miss some good stuff. Here's a somewhat recent one -- screenshot of hacked Bettman mail account:
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Vancouver Canucks – 10:00PM EST, Saturday, March 13, 2010 - Page 2 4322894273_b2fe2c544d_o

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Actually, about that screen cap above, his stick is actually being brought down to delect the puck, and the puck hits close to the middle of the stick, not the blade.

What they need to do is make sure all unis have a couple of stripes or other easy to spot items around the shoulder/chest/waist regions, then immediately after a questionable goal have the scorer go and stand next to the goal, so they can get a visual cue as to where the cross-bar is relative to those markers.

But in any case, no matter what they eventually decided to do, it is *ridiculous* that, in this day and age, with the tech available to us, they could not get the video to the on-ice officials. Hell, the time-keeper must have a laptop, what would it cost to provide in-house wireless streaming from the replay booth? Ideally they need a high-def monitor at the time-keeper's area, hooked up (wireless would be cheap and easy) to the upstairs replay booth. Surely, if they can stream the video to guys in Toronto, 100s if not 1000s of kilometers away, it would be even easier to stream it only 100 feet or so.

I didn't see the game - the 1/2 hour delay did it for me, but I PVR'd it, but when I heard they didn't score I felt no point watching it. So, was that a goal in the eyes of the Sens and the announcers? You say the ref's did not get a video replay?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The refs never get a replay -- that's always been a sore point with me. The ref stands there like an idiot holding a telephone handset, as the guys in Toronto review various feeds. At no point in time does the ref actually see the replay. If these guys in Toronto are such hot-shots, then strap on some skates, give them a striped shirt and let them ref some games. Otherwise, let the on-ice officials decide what's good and what's not. The technology to allow this to happen ha been around for at least 10 years, easily.

And as for the goal, judge for your self. That screen cap I posted says it all.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I'm also ticked off because that would have been another assist for Karlsson. He's 4 points behind Hedman (who sis floundering -- he is something like -7 in his last 6 games and his ice time has gone down from 20 to 13 or something like that -- yeah, Tocchet noticed). Don't know why it's important to me but it is. I want our 19-year-old Swedish rookie defenseman to be better than theirs. It's as simple as that.

He is, it really is as simple as that Prags.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I saw the highlights and it looked like he made contact on the way down, and it wasn't convincing it was a high stick, but I didn't see or hear much from Ottawa in the way of protesting that would make me think it wasn't?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I saw the highlights and it looked like he made contact on the way down, and it wasn't convincing it was a high stick, but I didn't see or hear much from Ottawa in the way of protesting that would make me think it wasn't?

There wasn't much we could do, they went upstairs and they called it no goal in the war room as well. It was close, but it was a goal in my eyes for sure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:I saw the highlights and it looked like he made contact on the way down, and it wasn't convincing it was a high stick, but I didn't see or hear much from Ottawa in the way of protesting that would make me think it wasn't?

No-goal Stirs up Clouston

Here's the latest. Apparently the guys in the review booth did not get the proper video, so the on-ice call stood. Two issues (huge ones) I see here. First, the on-ice call stands if there is nothing "conclusive". This is not a murder trial, and even then, it's only "reasonable doubt" that counts. Whoever is reviewing the video should be allowed to make a call based on the evidence. In some cases it's conclusive "beyond reasonable doubt". Second, you can't have impartiality if the local home-town video crew controls what the guys in Toronto see.

Here's a solution. Take the stand-by referee (he's there anyway, getting paid) and plop him in a chair in the video room. He'll ensure that the local vidiots don't obstruct the process, and should even be allowed to hand out a bench minor if they try.

Cory Clouston had something to get off his chest.

The Senators coach was still miffed Friday about Milan Michalek’s disallowed goal vs. the Flames Thursday in Calgary.

Clouston can’t understand why Michalek’s marker in the first period was called back because of a high stick.

“It’s frustrating and disappointing,” said Clouston. “In my opinion, unless Milan is eight feet tall, where the puck touched his stick and with his feet flat on the ground, it had to have been no more than three feet off of the ice. His feet were planted on the ice, his arms were tight to his body and it hit lower on the shaft of his stick.

“You don’t have to have any angle, other than to see where his feet are and where the puck hit his stick, to know there’s no way it could have been over the crossbar.”

Michalek tipped a point shot from defenceman Erik Karlsson by Miikka Kiprusoff at 7:36 of the first with the Flames leading 1-0 on a goal by Jamal Mayers.

One of the refs — either Tom Kowal or Rob Martel — waved it off immediately.

The play went to video review, but the word from the league’s head office in Toronto is the NHL didn’t have the proper tape to overrule the call made by the official. That meant his call has to stand.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, I've tweaked the settings a bit more. That 1024 width limit to resize was too big for that image I posted. So I trimmed the sides a bit more (the forum now takes 96% of the window with, less grey on the sides) and changed the resize width to 600. If an image is wider than 600 pixels it gets resized automatically.

There are now buttons at the top of the image to enlarge it or to see the full sized image.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, nevermind then. I must have missed all that. Too bad, that took their momentum out of it.

Oh well, we will get one back tonight.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:

There wasn't much we could do, they went upstairs and they called it no goal in the war room as well. It was close, but it was a goal in my eyes for sure.

It wasn't close at all. The problem is the guys in the "war room" never saw the replay, so the on-ice call stood. The ref who called it off should be reprimanded because it was the wrong call. The Flames organization should be fined because they did not provide Toronto with the right video. The process should be changed as outlined in my previous post(s).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum