GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA!

+35
pegsensfan
Number Twenty Nine
sens4win
SensGirl11
The Montagoose
garblar
Hockeyhero22000
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
beerandsens
Sens4thecup
Flo The Action
Phoenix30
BigRig
caissie_1
The Silfer Server
strachattack
rooneypoo
wprager
KidKarlsson
Urkie
SDH89
SensHulk
ddt
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
asq2
TheAvatar
dennycrane
M_Christopher
Riprock
PKC
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

736TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Kelly is a core player in Ottawa, IMO.

Ah, OK. Yes, I would agree.

737TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Let be honest...it's been mentioned here several times but Ottawa doesn't have the cap room to make any moves unless it's a $$ for $$ swap, or we get to dump contracts (Cheechoo, and Rooney's right).

Kovalev can't go anywhere, as he's playing too well right now to dump. Volchenkov is needed as we need that shut down pairing that we currently have come playoff time.

Cheechoo and minor league players is all I can see being delt, and do we have enough to trade for a guy who will be a major impact and makes less than 3 million a year?

738TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

As evidenced by the "A" that was given to him when Alfie was hurt.

739TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:

That has more to do with tenure than anything else.

740TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Devo wrote:Let be honest...it's been mentioned here several times but Ottawa doesn't have the cap room to make any moves unless it's a $$ for $$ swap, or we get to dump contracts (Cheechoo, and Rooney's right).

Kovalev can't go anywhere, as he's playing too well right now to dump. Volchenkov is needed as we need that shut down pairing that we currently have come playoff time.

Cheechoo and minor league players is all I can see being delt, and do we have enough to trade for a guy who will be a major impact and makes less than 3 million a year?

Ottawa has the cap to acquire a guy like Frolov or Svatos. Cap is not an issue. Questions I would raise would be more like, are we ready to give up 2nds, 1sts, foligno, regins?

741TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

Tenure is probably a factor for sure but I would venture to say that leadership and personal demeanor are probably bigger factors.

742TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

No it doesnt... it has to do with him being a key guy in the locker room, having a lot of leadership qualities, and the effort he puts forth on the ice.

743TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

No it doesnt... it has to do with him being a key guy in the locker room, having a lot of leadership qualities, and the effort he puts forth on the ice.

Too bad they don't have an "E" for effort to put on your sweater. Laugh1

Whatever, he's a good player. No doubt about it. I just think it's a little silly to say that you absolutely cannot deal him if that's what it takes to get a genuine Top 6.

744TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Kelly was a captain in BIngo.

745TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Repeat after me, everybody: NOBODY is talking Cheechoo off our hands. Just stop making up "player X for Cheechoo+" scenarios, 'cause it just ain't happening!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I would be interested in Svatos on the cheap. It's about the biggest move up front we can honestly expect BM to make. Given the way the team is playing and our super-limited cap space, BM isn't going to really change the make up of the room by making major subtractions and he doesn't have the space to add too much.

SSF, you've got to temper your expectations. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. OTT is not in a position to make major moves at the deadline this year.

I might have believed this before until I saw Toronto trade both Toskala AND Blake for a former Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup winning goaltender.

Sure, the signing of Hiller created a situation where that trade works, but the fact is, trades these days can't happen unless relatively even money is headed both ways.

It's an inevitable fact. Cheechoo in a deal for say Penner would have to happen if that deal could ever materialize. Whether Edmonton likes it or not, they HAVE to take at least some salary back in the trade.

By the way, I'm still firmly of the belief that Ottawa and Edmonton will be trading this year and that Penner, Cheechoo and potentially Leclaire will be involved in the trade.

746TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:54 pm

rooneypoo wrote:Repeat after me, everybody: NOBODY is talking Cheechoo off our hands. Just stop making up "player X for Cheechoo+" scenarios, 'cause it just ain't happening!

I would be interested in Svatos on the cheap. It's about the biggest move up front we can honestly expect BM to make. Given the way the team is playing and our super-limited cap space, BM isn't going to really change the make up of the room by making major subtractions and he doesn't have the space to add too much.

SSF, you've got to temper your expectations. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. OTT is not in a position to make major moves at the deadline this year.

The way Ottawa is playing as a team right now is the only thing preventing them from being in a position to make a major move. In terms of having tradeable players right now, Ottawa is in a better position to make a major move than they have ever been. With the exception of Cheechoo, Leclaire, Kuba and maybe Spezza, I'd say everybody on the team right now is performing beyond expectations and above their dollar value. We finally have defensive depth with Wiercioch, Lee and Cowen coming up and Picard as a healthy scratch, offensive-depth with three capable scoring lines and Foligno and Regin likely being top-six forwards for years to come.

What we are missing is future offensive depth. Alfredsson and Kovalev will not be here forever. If there was ever a time to trade away some depth for a young, impact forward that will have an immediate impact this season and for years to come, I'd say that time is now. Almost everyone on this team is at the peak of their trade value right now. Also let's not forget that Fisher will likely request a trade to be closer to Carrie, Volchenkov is an upcoming UFA, Cheechoo will be bought out this summer, Cowen and Smith are a summer away from being NHL-ready, and Karlsson is an off-season and a couple of hamburgers away from being our #1 defenceman. I'm not saying we should go after a ridiculous contract like Lecavalier's but I wouldn't be against going after guys like Weiss, Horton, Versteeg, Brassard, Filatov, Cogliano, Penner, M.Koivu, Dumont, Mueller, Turris etc. Alfredsson's role with this team will start to diminish much like Sundin's did in Toronto. While our assets are at full value I wouldn't mind making a big move as long as it doesn't disrupt the way our team is playing now.

747TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:55 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

Too bad they don't have an "E" for effort to put on your sweater. Laugh1

Whatever, he's a good player. No doubt about it. I just think it's a little silly to say that you absolutely cannot deal him if that's what it takes to get a genuine Top 6.

I'd rather hold on to Kelly unless the deal involved Patrick Sharp who could fill in Kelly's spot on the penalty kill and provide the kind of offense that Kelly doesn't have the hands for.

748TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I threw Leclaire for Khabibulin and a 1st out there. How does that grab ya!?!

749TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:

The way Ottawa is playing as a team right now is the only thing preventing them from being in a position to make a major move. In terms of having tradeable players right now, Ottawa is in a better position to make a major move than they have ever been. With the exception of Cheechoo, Leclaire, Kuba and maybe Spezza, I'd say everybody on the team right now is performing beyond expectations and above their dollar value. We finally have defensive depth with Wiercioch, Lee and Cowen coming up and Picard as a healthy scratch, offensive-depth with three capable scoring lines and Foligno and Regin likely being top-six forwards for years to come.

What we are missing is future offensive depth. Alfredsson and Kovalev will not be here forever. If there was ever a time to trade away some depth for a young, impact forward that will have an immediate impact this season and for years to come, I'd say that time is now. Almost everyone on this team is at the peak of their trade value right now. Also let's not forget that Fisher will likely request a trade to be closer to Carrie, Volchenkov is an upcoming UFA, Cheechoo will be bought out this summer, Cowen and Smith are a summer away from being NHL-ready, and Karlsson is an off-season and a couple of hamburgers away from being our #1 defenceman. I'm not saying we should go after a ridiculous contract like Lecavalier's but I wouldn't be against going after guys like Weiss, Horton, Versteeg, Brassard, Filatov, Cogliano, Penner, M.Koivu, Dumont, Mueller, Turris etc. Alfredsson's role with this team will start to diminish much like Sundin's did in Toronto. While our assets are at full value I wouldn't mind making a big move as long as it doesn't disrupt the way our team is playing now.

Carrie spends probably less time in Nashville than Fisher in Ottawa, so I odn't think that's relevant. Plus, Mike Fisher is seriously not that kind of guy.

750TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:

I kind of agreed with the general thought behind your post, although I do have to say that all the best teams in the league succeed because they grow their own talent, not because they trade for it.

But with that said, I don't know why you'd think that the bolded part is legitimate. Why does Mike Fisher want to move? And to where? His fiancee is a country singer of superstar fame, do you honestly think she stays anywhere for any lengthy period of time? Let alone long enough to justify him moving there.

I think it would be much easier for her to come live here in Ottawa until Mike retires from hockey and then they can go live wherever they want.

As for Volchenkov, I'm pretty certain that he's going to be re-signed. And I implore people to keep holding out for Cheechoo to regain some of his touch. I think the last 20 or so games are going to be a rejuvenation for this guy and we are going to see his real value come playoff time.

751TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:Carrie spends probably less time in Nashville than Fisher in Ottawa, so I odn't think that's relevant. Plus, Mike Fisher is seriously not that kind of guy.

I doubt Fisher would ask for a trade but Nashville might make an offer that would be tough to turn down too.

752TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dallas claims Brandon Segal on waivers from LA. NJ's Mike McKenna clears. NYR put Donald Brashear on waivers.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

753TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 50 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Dallas claims Brandon Segal on waivers from LA. NJ's Mike McKenna clears. NYR put Donald Brashear on waivers.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Because he demanded a trade. That's funny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum