GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA!

+35
pegsensfan
Number Twenty Nine
sens4win
SensGirl11
The Montagoose
garblar
Hockeyhero22000
Michael Fisher Portnoy II
beerandsens
Sens4thecup
Flo The Action
Phoenix30
BigRig
caissie_1
The Silfer Server
strachattack
rooneypoo
wprager
KidKarlsson
Urkie
SDH89
SensHulk
ddt
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
asq2
TheAvatar
dennycrane
M_Christopher
Riprock
PKC
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
39 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 49 of 67]

721TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:03 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Repeat after me, everybody: NOBODY is talking Cheechoo off our hands. Just stop making up "player X for Cheechoo+" scenarios, 'cause it just ain't happening!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I would be interested in Svatos on the cheap. It's about the biggest move up front we can honestly expect BM to make. Given the way the team is playing and our super-limited cap space, BM isn't going to really change the make up of the room by making major subtractions and he doesn't have the space to add too much.

SSF, you've got to temper your expectations. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. OTT is not in a position to make major moves at the deadline this year.

722TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:04 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not much BONANZA material today. Even sadder times. Sad

723TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

I think tonight's game will have a pretty good effect on Murray's targets for the deadline. A 4-0 Washington win will probably make him push harder for a svatos/whitney, but a 5-4 loss type of game will probably make him sit back.

724TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:I think tonight's game will have a pretty good effect on Murray's targets for the deadline. A 4-0 Washington win will probably make him push harder for a svatos/whitney, but a 5-4 loss type of game will probably make him sit back.

I can't imagine he's that short-sighted and reactionary. BM has been saying for a while (as he seems to every year) that we need another top 6er, if possible. He hasn't really said anything about the D, but I think he's fooling himself if he doesn't think we need another defenceman, too. Picard/Campoli are our weakest links. We need one more reliable option.

Problem for BM is, he's got to make those moves for cheap, at least salary wise, and he can't be giving away important pieces to our future (1sts, Cowens, etc.). BM will be making smallish moves this deadline, if he makes any at all. I don't see how he does anything else.

725TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:10 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:Repeat after me, everybody: NOBODY is talking Cheechoo off our hands. Just stop making up "player X for Cheechoo+" scenarios, 'cause it just ain't happening!

I would be interested in Svatos on the cheap. It's about the biggest move up front we can honestly expect BM to make. Given the way the team is playing and our super-limited cap space, BM isn't going to really change the make up of the room by making major subtractions and he doesn't have the space to add too much.

SSF, you've got to temper your expectations. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. OTT is not in a position to make major moves at the deadline this year.

I'm already disappointed that nothing has been done already. I've never advocated a major move. Adding a Top-2 LW to a lineup that only has one is not a big deal and subtracting a tradeable asset like Hands of Stone Kelly or Volchenkov wouldn't hurt us as much as people would have you think.

Dallas is ripe to be picked clean, and they won't be the only seller. For that reason alone, BM is in a fine position to make impactful changes.

726TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, we lost that smiley. It was sad times. TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Icon_sad

you had to put blackie down? it was her leg wasn't it? TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Icon_sad

727TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:19 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:I think tonight's game will have a pretty good effect on Murray's targets for the deadline. A 4-0 Washington win will probably make him push harder for a svatos/whitney, but a 5-4 loss type of game will probably make him sit back.

I can't imagine he's that short-sighted and reactionary. BM has been saying for a while (as he seems to every year) that we need another top 6er, if possible. He hasn't really said anything about the D, but I think he's fooling himself if he doesn't think we need another defenceman, too. Picard/Campoli are our weakest links. We need one more reliable option.

Problem for BM is, he's got to make those moves for cheap, at least salary wise, and he can't be giving away important pieces to our future (1sts, Cowens, etc.). BM will be making smallish moves this deadline, if he makes any at all. I don't see how he does anything else.

First, I don't think it's short-sighted and reactionnary. It's not like one game will make him pull the trigger, but I would hope that depending on how the team reacts against the most powerfull offense in the league in the last 3 years, it will have an impact on his decisions.

Second, I think he already (on hockeycentral 2 days ago IIRC) said that defense-wise he's not gonna do anything, but I've learned to not take anything he says for granted, especially at this time of the year.

Last thing, I think a Shannon + SJ 2nd could fetch a svatos, since we have more than 1.5M in cap space at the moment. I don't know how smallish is that for you, but That's the kind of trade I expect.

728TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Repeat after me, everybody: NOBODY is talking Cheechoo off our hands. Just stop making up "player X for Cheechoo+" scenarios, 'cause it just ain't happening!

I'm already disappointed that nothing has been done already. I've never advocated a major move. Adding a Top-2 LW to a lineup that only has one is not a big deal and subtracting a tradeable asset like Hands of Stone Kelly or Volchenkov wouldn't hurt us as much as people would have you think.

Dallas is ripe to be picked clean, and they won't be the only seller. For that reason alone, BM is in a fine position to make impactful changes.

Kelly and Volchenkov are two guys I want on this roster going into the playoffs, tho'. Kelly is playing probably the best hockey of his life -- having Winchester and Z. Smith makes it a little more palatable, I guess, but neither guy is playoff tested. Moving Volchenkov would be pretty disastrous for us. He'd have to be replaced. We don't have anyone who can step up into his role, and we're not going to get a better player at a similar cap hit.

I can't figure out why you want to ship out core guys for rental forwards when your team is winning and is deeper at forward than it's been in years.

729TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:I can't figure out why you want to ship out core guys for rental forwards when your team is winning and is deeper at forward than it's been in years.

We have 5/6ths of two top lines, at best. Not good enough. Kelly is not "core". He's a support player.

730TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I can't figure out why you want to ship out core guys for rental forwards when your team is winning and is deeper at forward than it's been in years.

We have 5/6ths of two top lines, at best. Not good enough. Kelly is not "core". He's a support player.

Kelly is the 3rd line center and one of our best shutdown guys for the playoffs. He's just replacing Foligno, who I think can play top 6 every night, when with Fisher.

731TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

We have 3 lines that all pose a legitimate scoring threats, plus a 4th that can score as it bangs the opposition around. This is the deepest OTT has been at forward since Havlat was here.

"Support players" don't get signed to 4 year, multi-million dollar deals. That was the difference between Vermette's deal and Kelly's. Whether we like it or not, BM marked Kelly off as "core" with that deal.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

732TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I would argue he isnt a core player. I think he very much is.

733TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I would argue he isnt a core player. I think he very much is.

Can I get some clarification on those two sentences? TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 979131

734TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Kelly is a core player in Ottawa, IMO.

735TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:38 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

We have 3 lines that all pose a legitimate scoring threats, plus a 4th that can score as it bangs the opposition around. This is the deepest OTT has been at forward since Havlat was here.

"Support players" don't get signed to 4 year, multi-million dollar guys. That was the difference between Vermette's deal and Kelly's. Whether we like it or not, BM marked Kelly off as "core" with that deal.

They do in Ottawa.

I guess I'm wrong. As long as you can shut down the opposition, scoring goals isn't necessary.

736TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Kelly is a core player in Ottawa, IMO.

Ah, OK. Yes, I would agree.

737TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Let be honest...it's been mentioned here several times but Ottawa doesn't have the cap room to make any moves unless it's a $$ for $$ swap, or we get to dump contracts (Cheechoo, and Rooney's right).

Kovalev can't go anywhere, as he's playing too well right now to dump. Volchenkov is needed as we need that shut down pairing that we currently have come playoff time.

Cheechoo and minor league players is all I can see being delt, and do we have enough to trade for a guy who will be a major impact and makes less than 3 million a year?

738TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! - Page 49 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA! Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:Kelly is a core player in Ottawa, IMO.

As evidenced by the "A" that was given to him when Alfie was hurt.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 49 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum