GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Murray to give vets a break

+9
KidKarlsson
Vandelay
SensFan71
Hoags
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Murray to give vets a break Empty Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:00 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/columnists/bruce_garrioch/2009/09/21/11039076.html

REGINA — Senators GM Bryan Murray is willing to give some underachieving veterans the benefit of the doubt before final cuts are made.

But not for long.

The Senators intend to carry 21 players once the regular season begins, but Murray said yesterday he hopes some experienced players who are struggling in camp will be ready for opening night on Oct. 3 vs. the Rangers.

“Sometimes a veteran player has earned the right to be on your team even though he hasn’t had a great training camp,” said Murray. “What you do, is you allow the year to start, watch and then if that veteran doesn’t upgrade his play to a point that helps you win, then you have to cut the ties.

“That’s what happening in our league generally because the ties got cut and some young guys came along and beat them out. We’re at that point, but we are handicapped a little by the contracts.”

After facing the Lightning last night at the Brandt Centre, the Senators have only one pre-season game left — Friday against Boston. Prospects Peter Regin, Erik Karlsson and Matt Carkner are pushing for jobs, but Murray can’t afford to keep everybody and stay under the $56.7-million (all terms US) salary cap.

Murray could have decisions to make on defencemen Christoph Schubert and Alex Picard. Centre Chris Kelly has to step it up.

“It’s a balance. I hope we don’t have to make many guys wait if they’re absolutely ready,” said Murray. “We have some two-way contracts that we can play with a little bit. We’ve got a commitment to some players and to this point in time they’ve been outplayed. There are a couple of guys that I would really like to open the door for."

Looks like he has his eyes on Schubert, Picard, and Kelly as expected. Just hope that benefit of the doubt doesn't last too long.

2Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:55 am

Sophomore
Sophomore

Is there anyone who would't take Karlsson and Carkner over Schubert and Picard? And I am sorry but, Kelly has not proven his value or his paycheque. Alfie, Cheechoo, Regin, Fisher, and Michalek are all players who can play a two way game but, also know how to score-unlike kelly. Please dump him and schubert/picard and get a legit top 4 d-man now or at the trade deadline.

3Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I would like to see Carkner take Schubert's position as the D/F swing player. He also fills the enforcement role that will be needed against some clubs, and it will save $383K in cap space. How they get it done is not my concern, I just hope they can trade him to another club for "future considerations" and not have to buy him out.

Lee is on a two-way so that's a fairly easy decision. He hasn't played badly, but he hasn't raised eyebrows either (except for Neely's, but his eyebrows regarding Lee had been mistaken, earlier, for a mustache, so raising them was no big deal).

I haven't heard much in pre-season about Campoli. How has he played relative to Picard? He is a small, puck-moving defenseman. Picard has some size. On paper, at least, Karlsson should be replacing Campoli, not Picard. Can we really have two D-men under 200 lbs in the lineup?

4Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would just like to point out that it's the author that names players and not Murray but, those are likely names to be considered.

- Unknown Author

5Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hmmm.... a 21-man roster only allows for one extra forward OR one extra defenceman along with 2 goalies.

6Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Sounds like

"Players on 1-way contracts, please play better and make my job easier"

7Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Hmmm.... a 21-man roster only allows for one extra forward OR one extra defenceman along with 2 goalies.

So someone is moving on regardless then?

Alfie - Spezza - Michalek

Cheechoo - Fisher - Kovalev

Foligno - Kelly - Shannon

Ruutu - Neil - Donovan

Kuba - Campoli

Phillips - Volchie

??? ???

Winchester (Injured), Regin, Picard, Karlsson, Lee, Schubert, Carkner

Forwards are easy for now. Since Winchester is injured you insert Regin and Donovan spends most of his time in the press box. Once Winchester is recovered and Regin has solidified his spot on the team it could get tricky to stay at that 21 man roster.

Then on to the Defense. Most people figure Karlsson is a lock but is he with the abundance of D men? I would expect that Lee is sent off to Bingo, Schubert needs to be waived or traded for whatever you can get I think. That leaves Picard and Carkner fighting for that last spot on D. Remember we already have our extra forward in Donovan so no room for a 7th D. I think Carkner gets squeezed out and back to Bingo especially if the stories are true that no one wanted Picard when he was being shopped over the summer.

Thoughts?

- Unknown Author

8Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That sounds pretty likely. With Winch out, Regin is in... for now... but will he suit up on the 3rd line? Regin on the 4th just seems wrong.

If Karlsson stays up then Lee and Carkner will most likely be down in Bingo unless Murray moves someone to free up a spot.

I'm assuming a 21-man roster is 21 dressed. So, healthy scratches can be carried along such as Donovan and Schubert.

Ruutu - Neil - Donovan
Extra: Regin

Phillips - Volchie
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Picard

Leclaire
Elliott

Total dressed: 21

Injured: Winchester
Healthy scratches: Donovan, Schubert
Sent down to Bingo: Lee, Carkner, Z. Smith
Back to WHL: Cowen

9Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:That sounds pretty likely. With Winch out, Regin is in... for now... but will he suit up on the 3rd line? Regin on the 4th just seems wrong.

If Karlsson stays up then Lee and Carkner will most likely be down in Bingo unless Murray moves someone to free up a spot.

I'm assuming a 21-man roster is 21 dressed. So, healthy scratches can be carried along such as Donovan and Schubert.

Ruutu - Neil - Donovan
Extra: Regin

Phillips - Volchie
Kuba - Karlsson
Campoli - Picard

Leclaire
Elliott

Total dressed: 21

Injured: Winchester

Healthy scratches: Donovan, Schubert

Sent down to Bingo: Lee, Carkner

That's 23 players total counting Regin and I thought you could only dress 20 for a game. I think he means 20 players dressed each game with 1 healthy scratch not including Winchester right now because he's injured.

- Unknown Author

10Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:25 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What are the rules in the NHL for dressed players? Is it 20 dressed?

11Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:26 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Here's my guess for the lineup once the dust settles

Foligno - Regin - Shannon

Ruutu - Neil - Winchester

Donovan

Kuba - Karlsson

Phillips - Volchie

Campoli - Picard

Leclaire
Elliott

Schubert waived or traded
Kelly traded
Lee and Carkner in Bingo - Lee called up for Offense and Carkner called up if Phillips or Volchie are injured.

- Unknown Author

12Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 am

I'm all for Murray giving the vets a break, I get that, but Murray's job is to put the best team on the ice, and the best team possible has Regin on it. He has been a top 3 forward on this team so far and he is actually getting Fisher to produce thus far... not an easy feat.

With Winchester in or out, Regin should be here no matter what. Carkner would be nice to have around, he is only gonna bring good things in Ottawa and allow Clouston to ice a different looking team on nights they need it.

I think this is more a warning shot to guys like Kelly and Campoli to get going.

13Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

According to the CBA, the max size for an "active roster" is 23. This would include healthy scratches that don't dress but are considered active. So, my total of 23 is hitting the limit, but I guess it depends on what Murray means by 21-man roster. 21 on the ice or 21 active.

14Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:32 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Here's my guess for the lineup once the dust settles

Foligno - Regin - Shannon

Ruutu - Neil - Winchester

Donovan

Kuba - Karlsson

Phillips - Volchie

Campoli - Picard

Leclaire
Elliott

Schubert waived or traded
Kelly traded
Lee and Carkner in Bingo - Lee called up for Offense and Carkner called up if Phillips or Volchie are injured.

I dont see Regin not playing inbetween Fisher and Foligno at this point. If he gets Fisher scoring then Fisher stays on the wing. I dont think Clouston is going to mess with that.

15Murray to give vets a break Empty Re: Murray to give vets a break Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 am

shabbs wrote:According to the CBA, the max size for an "active roster" is 23. This would include healthy scratches that don't dress but are considered active. So, my total of 23 is hitting the limit, but I guess it depends on what Murray means by 21-man roster. 21 on the ice or 21 active.

I think Murray starts the season with 22 honestly. He will let someone play themselves off the team the first few weeks of the season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum