GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks?

+17
PKC
Sp00nz
Hockeyhero22000
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
wprager
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Although I don't think there should be any reason to use it, there *is* an ignore feature as a last resort.

But, I echo what TA said: take it easy. Cheers

77What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

ESPN's Chicago correspondent Al Cimaglia gives his wrapup of the Blackhawks at the Entry Draft; and on a different note, some thoughts on local area talent who may get their shot at the big leagues.

LOCAL BOYS GET SHOT AT NHL DREAMS
Blackhawks take Darien native in draft
Al Cimaglia, ESPNChicago.com, June 28, 2009

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon summed it up on Saturday when he said, "We got some speed, we got some skill, and we got some size."

According to other comments made on ChicagoBlackhawks.com as well, Tallon was very happy with how the draft went. He thought the Chicago scouts had done an excellent job.

For now, Blackhawks fans can only hope the optimism from Tallon and his staff is correct. It will take many years before these selections can be truly graded.

The entire Blackhawk draft class is still in the developmental stages. Hopefully someday, they will become qualified to enter the NHL.

The organization defined the center position -- and defense -- as being their primary needs.

Six out of the eight Chicago selections were centers, and two were defenders. It is almost a certainty all of the centers taken won't end up playing there, some will become wingers.

Sometimes the draftees are referred to as if they are pieces of property. It is too easy to forget the human side of the story.

Basically, those drafted are young talented kids who are of high school graduation age. Often, the many years of dedicated hard work put in by these boys is overlooked. It also should be remembered that they all had a lot of help to get to this point. Their parents and coaches have been instrumental in their development.

In particular, the parents of aspiring hockey players have to be applauded. At some point, all the boys selected over the weekend had adults drive them to and from early morning and late evening practices. Many parents not only sacrificed a great deal of their time, but also struggled financially to give their sons an opportunity to someday become NHL players.

It was particularly satisfying to see three local area young men selected by NHL clubs over the weekend.

Highly touted defenseman John Moore, who is from Winnetka, went at No. 21 to Columbus. Moore may have a shorter path than most to the NHL. Barron Smith, who is from Hinsdale, is a defenseman and was chosen at No.188 by Toronto. The Blackhawks selected defenseman Paul Phillips, who is from Darien, with pick No. 195.

Phillips will be going on to hone his skills at the University of Denver this fall. Tallon commented on the young Phillips as being a solid defenseman who doesn't turn the puck over. To be defined as a smart hockey player is a great compliment. Phillips will be headed to a fine hockey program to continue his dream of becoming an NHL player.

I remember a very young Paulie, from his early roller hockey days, as well as on the ice at the Darien Sportsplex. I haven't seen him play in many years, but back then he was one of the best kids in the neighborhood. Obviously his dedication has paid off, and hopefully some day he will be able to become a Blackhawk. What better reward than to get drafted by your local team. I am sure his family is gushing with pride.

My congratulations go out to all the local area prospects and their families.

Blackhawks 2009 NHL draft recap (from the Chicago Blackhawks' Web site):
  • First round: Dylan Olsen, D, Camrose Kodiaks (28th overall)
  • Second round: Brandon Pirri, C, Georgetown Raiders (59th overall)
  • Third round: Daniel DeLisle, C/LW, Totino-Grace High School (89th overall)
  • Fourth round: Byron Froese, C, Everett Silvertips (119th overall)
  • Fifth round: Marcus Kruger, C, Djurgarden/Djurgarden Jr., Sweden (149th overall)
  • Sixth round: David Pacan, C, Cumberland Grads (177th overall)*
  • Seventh round: Paul Phillips, D, Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (195th overall)**
  • Seventh round: David Gilbert, C, Quebec Remparts (209th overall)

* Selection acquired from the Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday, in exchange for the Blackhawks' fifth-round pick in 2010
    ** Selection acquired from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Magnus Johansson on Jan. 10, 2008
  • 78What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 pm

davetherave

All-Star
    All-Star

Big T wrote:This guy is telling me I'm not allowed to express my opinion. I didn't come to this site for BS like this.

You've already expressed your opinion, and brought more than enough of your own BS to this site. Not to mention your whining to the moderators.

You can't take your opinions being challenged, well, tough noogies.

FYI, Kiddo...as if you didn't know...

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
    The word also evokes the trolls portrayed in Scandinavian folklore and children's tales as they are often obnoxious creatures bent on mischief and wickedness.

Next you'll be telling us you can't stand the way Patrick Kane chews his mouthguard...and that Joel Quenneville wears ugly ties.

You want to talk hockey in an intelligent fashion, fine.

Differences of opinion are welcome.

But you want to be a troll? You make the call, 'Big T'. Wink

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Mr-t_b10

PS I remember my trip to Sweden very well...Trollhattan, as a matter of fact. People were really nice.
    cool)

Hmm...couple of Swedes on the Blackhawks...Pahlsson and Hjalmarsson, yes? Do you hate them too?

And now, back to our regular programming.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

well to get back to the talking about the hawks as a team ]

as per tsn.ca
    The Chicago Blackhawks have re-signed second-line centreman David Bolland, inking the restricted free agent to a five-year deal.
    The Toronto native's average salary over the contract will be $3.375 million per season.
    Bolland, 23, had a breakout season in 2009, putting up 19 goals and
    28 assists with a plus- 19 rating in 81 games. He also tallied four
    goals and eight assists with a minus- 1 rating throughout the 2008-09
    playoffs.

Bolland was a 2nd round selection (32nd overall) by the Blackhawks in 2004.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Dave, I take back what I said about the Hawks not competing, Hossa has definitely made this team not only a favourite in the West behind only Detroit possibly, but a very real chance at the Stanley Cup.

Great deal for both sides.

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
    Rookie
    Rookie

Big T wrote:Dave, I take back what I said about the Hawks not competing, Hossa has definitely made this team not only a favourite in the West behind only Detroit possibly, but a very real chance at the Stanley Cup.

And the Hawks become the most exciting team in the West (if they weren't already)

Hossa brings a plethera of post season experience, and even more scoring to a potent offense. He'll replace Havlat's regular season production, and add some back checking.

Great signing for Chicago. They definatly picked the better of the two former Sens star forwards.

davetherave

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Sp00nz wrote:
    Big T wrote:Dave, I take back what I said about the Hawks not competing, Hossa has definitely made this team not only a favourite in the West behind only Detroit possibly, but a very real chance at the Stanley Cup.

And the Hawks become the most exciting team in the West (if they weren't already)

Hossa brings a plethera of post season experience, and even more scoring to a potent offense. He'll replace Havlat's regular season production, and add some back checking.

Great signing for Chicago. They definatly picked the better of the two former Sens star forwards.

Thanks, SpOOnz, T.

Marian Hossa has always been one of my favorite players.

I'm happy for him, and happy for the Blackhawks.

Nothing has been won yet...still lots of work to do...but next year will be fun.

cool)

And for me, it starts with my trip to Helsinki in October to see them play their 2009-10 season opener.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

I like what Hossa has been doing. Last year and this year he took less than market value for a chance to win the cup. All the people who hate him for this are misguided.

davetherave

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Per TSN, the Hawks have just added two time Cup winner John Madden...

Former New Jersey Devils' checking centreman John Madden agreed to a one-year, $2.75 million deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.

The longtime Devil was been with New Jersey since the 1989-99 campaign. Last season, the Barrie, Ontario native had seven goals and 16 assists with a minus- 7 rating in 76 games played.

In 712 career NHL games, Madden has 140 goals and 157 assists with a plus- 35.

---

Madden presumedly replaces Pahlsson as Bolland's partner on the PK...and some personnel moves are likely in the offing.

PKC

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

I might become a Blackhawks fan if the Sens don't do something worth while.

86What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Bandwagoner 🇬🇬

Razz

OK, so if the cap is going down to let`s say, 51 MIllion next year, the Hawks have 17 MIllion to resign:
    - Toews
    - Kane
    - Ladd
    - Eager
    - Versteeg
    - Keith
    - Barker
    - Fraser
    - Hjalmarsson...

Yeah, gonna be hard^^.

87What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Havlat9

Havlat9
    Prospect
    Prospect

PKC wrote:I might become a Blackhawks fan if the Sens don't do something worth while.

u got to stick by ur team no matter what, i still believe the sens will pull something off. And the hawks are a$$ Diddle for next year, they need to re-sign all of those players above AND the cap is probably going down. Honestly if the cap goes down next year by a significant amount alot of thing will go down, players will be sent to teh minors left rigt and center to clear up space to get under the cap, FA next year will get NOTHING.

88What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
    Rookie
    Rookie

PKC wrote:I might become a Blackhawks fan if the Sens don't do something worth while.

Thats exactly the kind of attitude that many other fanbases knock Sens fans for.

🇬🇬 Facepalm

89What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:56 pm

davetherave

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

marakh wrote:Bandwagoner 🇬🇬

Razz

OK, so if the cap is going down to let`s say, 51 MIllion next year, the Hawks have 17 MIllion to resign:
    - Toews
    - Kane
    - Ladd
    - Eager
    - Versteeg
    - Keith
    - Barker
    - Fraser
    - Hjalmarsson...

Yeah, gonna be hard^^.

Plenty of time to deal with that...the key is that the Blackhawks now have the pieces they need to go to the next level.

Tallon & Co will figure out the numbers and make the deals they need to make.

The impact of Hossa is major for this team.

A true power forward...his 40 goals were the difference in the Red Wings' offensive output between last season and the previous one.

As team owner Rocky Wirtz has said, the objective is to put an exciting club on the ice, fill the seats, win games and compete for the Stanley Cup.

Check all those boxes.

They've taken some risks to get there...but no risk, no reward.

And plenty of work to do to get there still.

cool)

Last edited by davetherave on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

90What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:58 pm

davetherave

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Havlat9 wrote: And the hawks are a$$ Diddle for next year, they need to re-sign all of those players above AND the cap is probably going down. Honestly if the cap goes down next year by a significant amount alot of thing will go down, players will be sent to teh minors left rigt and center to clear up space to get under the cap, FA next year will get NOTHING.

Irrelevant at this point...next year is twelve months away.

PS...your Havlat avatar is out of date, isn't it? Wink

91What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:10 pm

DTR,

Congratulations on a great day. Tallon is taking a shot, you gotta like it. Having said that I respectfully request that you hold off on the Hossa avatar for a couple of weeks. I think alot of us find it quite painful. :**:

92What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:44 pm

beedub

beedub
    Veteran
    Veteran

If ever there was a team built for the here and now, it's next season's Chicago Blackhawks.

This team is built like a brick Dung. They are going to pound a lot of teams next season and likely advance quite far in the post season.

Madden and Hossa just complement an already pretty powerful team.

THe only reason I hesitate to call them Stanley Cup favourites is the fact that ol' Cristobal is the man between the pipes. He doesn't have Khabibulin pushing him anymore. I will be curious to see how he handles the spotlight.

But seriously, offensively, they will embarass a lot of teams

93What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 6 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm

PKC

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Sp00nz wrote:

Thats exactly the kind of attitude that many other fanbases knock Sens fans for.

🇬🇬 Facepalm

I'd never leave the Sens as a fan...but you have to admit that the Hawks are going to be exciting to watch next season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum