GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks?

+17
PKC
Sp00nz
Hockeyhero22000
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
wprager
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Big T wrote:Blackhawks have a good team, but they won't compete in the West.

Hmm...you just said they will go at least as far as the 2nd round in the playoffs.

So aren't you contradicting yourself?

BTW do you hate the Blackhawks as much as your uncle does? That would explain your illogical and unequivocal stance.
Wink

And you know that predictions in hockey are pretty much smoke and mirrors, eh...

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:

Hmm...you just said they will go at least as far as the 2nd round in the playoffs.

BTW do you hate the Blackhawks as much as your uncle does? That would explain your illogical and unequivocal stance.
Wink

And you know that predictions in hockey are pretty much smoke and mirrors, eh...

I said second round MAX. The west is simply too competitive for the BH to go far without improving quite a bit.

And yes, I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks, but thats not clouding my judgment. I used to like the Hawks, in the Belfour and Chelios years, but lately I can't stand them.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

I don't see why the Hawks should be worse next season. Yes, they may lose a nice player or two, but Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Barker, etcetera will all be a year older and wiser.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

There might be increased competition from within the division, though.

But I still think they're easily a top-2 team in the Central.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Big T wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Wink

I said second round MAX. The west is simply too competitive for the BH to go far without improving quite a bit.

And yes, I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks, but thats not clouding my judgment. I used to like the Hawks, in the Belfour and Chelios years, but lately I can't stand them.

So, tell us how you can make a prediction in June when none of the teams have solidified their rosters, and when not a single game has been played for the 2009-10 season.

As for your presumptions about Havlat and Khabibulin, they are still negotiating with Hawks management. How do you know what will take place, and what impact their decisions might have?

How can you do any kind of logical analysis of the teams and their level of competitiveness at this point?

The experts are consistently proven wrong...what makes you so sure of yourself?

And once again, you contradict your own statements. First you say:
"I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks"
then you say
"I can't stand them"

Either way, your assessment is not an objective one. And your attempt at being hard-nosed makes it difficult to have a reasonable discussion with you on the topic.

I do agree that the Western Conference will probably be more difficult and more closely competitive next season. What that might mean in terms of the final standings and playoff results, who can say?

By the way, being the age that you are, are you saying you liked the Blackhawks before you were born? Wink Because that's when Belfour and Chelios led the Hawks against the Pens in the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals. Or maybe you liked them as a toddler? Belfour was traded in 1997...you were four; Chelios was traded to Detroit in 1999 (when you were six), both being moved when the Hawks were struggling...

But that's neither here nor there.

Of course, you have the right to your opinion--no matter how biased it might be.

But, you might want to look at a few more Hawks games this year, not as a Sens fan and Hawk hater, but as a hockey enthusiast. No matter who you cheer for, they are an exciting and enjoyable team to watch.

As for me, I have been a Black Hawks loyalist since 1961, when Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glenn Hall, Elmer Vasko, Kenny Wharram, Bill Hay and the rest beat the Wings for the Cup. I remember those flickering black and white images on our family's RCA Victor TV like it was yesterday, and the profound, visceral thrill I experienced--as all children do when they discover what heroes are.

These heroes, however flawed, have provided great memories. And the young Blackhawks of today are honouring those memories by their exemplary performances.

The 'Old Six', to use the nomenclature from Dick Beddoes, Stan Fischler and Ira Gitler's excellent book "Hockey! The Story of the World's Fastest Sport' have a magic that stems from their history. (This is a book I heartily recommend to all hockey fans, for its exceptional writing and seminal content.)

The Black Hawk story, for all its twists and turns, struggles and triumphs, is--as one would expect of an 'Old Six' team--a magical one...and the team has (IMHO, and in the minds of many) the coolest logo and jersey in all of professional sports.

Through that experience over the last near-half century, I have learned that winning and losing in hockey is part of the game...and, in learning how the fortunes of competition are as fickle as the fans, that sport can be noble, rather than simply a vicarious mode of aggression.

Being a fan doesn't mean being a fanatic. Cheering for a team doesn't mean one can't be critical, or objective--either about one's favourites or others'.

Hopefully we can continue the discussion, on such a basis.

Looking forward to our next chat. Smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:There might be increased competition from within the division, though.

But I still think they're easily a top-2 team in the Central.

ASQ>Thank you. Your opinion and compliment are much appreciated. Smile

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Marty? Dirty? Look, I realize you're too young to have seen some of the classic dirty players (Ulf Samuelsson, Gary Suter, Dale Hunter, Brian Marchment, Billy Smith, Hextall, Clarke etc.) but surely you grew up watching the likes of Pronger and Tucker, to name just two? How do you put Havlat up there -- was it the attempted circumcision of Hal Gill?

68What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big T wrote:
wprager wrote:Marty? Dirty? Look, I realize you're too young to have seen some of the classic dirty players (Ulf Samuelsson, Gary Suter, Dale Hunter, Brian Marchment, Billy Smith, Hextall, Clarke etc.) but surely you grew up watching the likes of Pronger and Tucker, to name just two? How do you put Havlat up there -- was it the attempted circumcision of Hal Gill?

The kicking?

Gill had him pinned against the back of the goal. Havlat couldn't breathe, and the zebras were doing absolutely nothing. Plus it was just a little tap to say "Hey, you're standing on my lungs". You want to see something bad, take a look at Chris Simon stomping on Ruutu's calf. Or any of Downey's hits. Marty is not in the same league.

Now, I will say that Marty is a skill player who doesn't drop the gloves but doesn't mind getting his elbows up. He's got a bit of a dirty streak, I'll agree, but it's nowhere near the level of the other players I mentioned.

69What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Big T wrote:Sorry, what I should have said I'm not a huge fan of the Franchise, but I can't stand the current team.

I have hated Kane since I met him when he played for London.

I hate the idea of naming a kid that hardly looks like he's hit puberty as a captain. How does a kid lead a team of men?

Havlat is a dirty player, bar none.

I like Seabrook and Barker, i'll say that much.

Campbell may be the most overrated player in the NHL.

I like Khabby, but Huet is an average goalie at best.

I hate the many Hawk fans who just now come out of hiding. After being a joke of a franchise for many years, they start winning, and the bandwaggon starts.

And how can you tell me to be objective when you are such a homer?

I'll admit I like the Blackhawk logo, but the jersey is nothing special. My opinion is that the Blues have the best logo and jersey.

Well Tukker/The Guy With The Mustache/Big T--as you are all one and the same...your hate for the Blackhawks disqualifies you from ANY and all reasonable discussion on this topic.

And your attempts at 'flaming'...nothing more need be said.

Perhaps you can come back sometime when you have something worthwhile to say.

70What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

my uncle is in Sweden right now, and he is thinking of quitting this site because of you.

And last time I checked, I'm allowed to have an opinion, despite what you believe is right.

EDIT: and if you don't believe I am who I say I am, look at my avatar, its a Diddle picture of me DOH!

71What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Dudes, take it easy.

72What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Big T wrote:my uncle is in Sweden right now, and he is thinking of quitting this site because of you.

And last time I checked, I'm allowed to have an opinion, despite what you believe is right.

EDIT: and if you don't believe I am who I say I am, look at my avatar, its a Diddle picture of me DOH!

Trolling is trolling, and that's exactly what you're doing.

You want to talk hockey, fine.

But you obviously don't.

73What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
Big T wrote:my uncle is in Sweden right now, and he is thinking of quitting this site because of you.

Trolling is trolling, and that's exactly what you're doing.

You want to talk hockey, fine.

But you obviously don't.

How am I trolling? Since I came to this site I'd like to believe I've talked hockey, and done it to the best of my abilities.

You brought up my dislike of the blackhawks as a bias, so I explained why I dislike them.

74What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:Dudes, take it easy.

+1, x2, this., etc.

75What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

This guy is telling me I'm not allowed to express my opinion. I didn't come to this site for BS like this.

76What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Although I don't think there should be any reason to use it, there *is* an ignore feature as a last resort.

But, I echo what TA said: take it easy. Cheers

77What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN's Chicago correspondent Al Cimaglia gives his wrapup of the Blackhawks at the Entry Draft; and on a different note, some thoughts on local area talent who may get their shot at the big leagues.

LOCAL BOYS GET SHOT AT NHL DREAMS
Blackhawks take Darien native in draft
Al Cimaglia, ESPNChicago.com, June 28, 2009

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon summed it up on Saturday when he said, "We got some speed, we got some skill, and we got some size."

According to other comments made on ChicagoBlackhawks.com as well, Tallon was very happy with how the draft went. He thought the Chicago scouts had done an excellent job.

For now, Blackhawks fans can only hope the optimism from Tallon and his staff is correct. It will take many years before these selections can be truly graded.

The entire Blackhawk draft class is still in the developmental stages. Hopefully someday, they will become qualified to enter the NHL.

The organization defined the center position -- and defense -- as being their primary needs.

Six out of the eight Chicago selections were centers, and two were defenders. It is almost a certainty all of the centers taken won't end up playing there, some will become wingers.

Sometimes the draftees are referred to as if they are pieces of property. It is too easy to forget the human side of the story.

Basically, those drafted are young talented kids who are of high school graduation age. Often, the many years of dedicated hard work put in by these boys is overlooked. It also should be remembered that they all had a lot of help to get to this point. Their parents and coaches have been instrumental in their development.

In particular, the parents of aspiring hockey players have to be applauded. At some point, all the boys selected over the weekend had adults drive them to and from early morning and late evening practices. Many parents not only sacrificed a great deal of their time, but also struggled financially to give their sons an opportunity to someday become NHL players.

It was particularly satisfying to see three local area young men selected by NHL clubs over the weekend.

Highly touted defenseman John Moore, who is from Winnetka, went at No. 21 to Columbus. Moore may have a shorter path than most to the NHL. Barron Smith, who is from Hinsdale, is a defenseman and was chosen at No.188 by Toronto. The Blackhawks selected defenseman Paul Phillips, who is from Darien, with pick No. 195.

Phillips will be going on to hone his skills at the University of Denver this fall. Tallon commented on the young Phillips as being a solid defenseman who doesn't turn the puck over. To be defined as a smart hockey player is a great compliment. Phillips will be headed to a fine hockey program to continue his dream of becoming an NHL player.

I remember a very young Paulie, from his early roller hockey days, as well as on the ice at the Darien Sportsplex. I haven't seen him play in many years, but back then he was one of the best kids in the neighborhood. Obviously his dedication has paid off, and hopefully some day he will be able to become a Blackhawk. What better reward than to get drafted by your local team. I am sure his family is gushing with pride.

My congratulations go out to all the local area prospects and their families.

Blackhawks 2009 NHL draft recap (from the Chicago Blackhawks' Web site):
  • First round: Dylan Olsen, D, Camrose Kodiaks (28th overall)
  • Second round: Brandon Pirri, C, Georgetown Raiders (59th overall)
  • Third round: Daniel DeLisle, C/LW, Totino-Grace High School (89th overall)
  • Fourth round: Byron Froese, C, Everett Silvertips (119th overall)
  • Fifth round: Marcus Kruger, C, Djurgarden/Djurgarden Jr., Sweden (149th overall)
  • Sixth round: David Pacan, C, Cumberland Grads (177th overall)*
  • Seventh round: Paul Phillips, D, Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (195th overall)**
  • Seventh round: David Gilbert, C, Quebec Remparts (209th overall)

* Selection acquired from the Atlanta Thrashers on Saturday, in exchange for the Blackhawks' fifth-round pick in 2010
    ** Selection acquired from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Magnus Johansson on Jan. 10, 2008
  • 78What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Big T wrote:This guy is telling me I'm not allowed to express my opinion. I didn't come to this site for BS like this.

You've already expressed your opinion, and brought more than enough of your own BS to this site. Not to mention your whining to the moderators.

You can't take your opinions being challenged, well, tough noogies.

FYI, Kiddo...as if you didn't know...

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
    The word also evokes the trolls portrayed in Scandinavian folklore and children's tales as they are often obnoxious creatures bent on mischief and wickedness.

Next you'll be telling us you can't stand the way Patrick Kane chews his mouthguard...and that Joel Quenneville wears ugly ties.

You want to talk hockey in an intelligent fashion, fine.

Differences of opinion are welcome.

But you want to be a troll? You make the call, 'Big T'. Wink

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 5 Mr-t_b10

PS I remember my trip to Sweden very well...Trollhattan, as a matter of fact. People were really nice.
    cool)

Hmm...couple of Swedes on the Blackhawks...Pahlsson and Hjalmarsson, yes? Do you hate them too?

And now, back to our regular programming.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum