GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Chicago Blackhawks at Montreal Canadiens -- 7:30 ET, March 31, 2009

+7
wprager
pgood
asq2
PTFlea
caissie_1
The Silfer Server
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

This is a very special one for me, gang. I've been a Hawks fan since '61 but I've never seen them play live...and it's my first visit to Le Centre Bell (I did see a Bruins-Habs playoff game in the old Forum back about 25 years ago LOL)...

It's also been seven years since the Hawks and their fans have been able to enjoy the postseason. And an Original Six matchup is always special. This matchup also has a lot of history, as Henri Richard and the league champion Habs defeated the underdog Stan Mikita-led (Bobby Hull had left for the WHA) Hawks, even with the great Tony Esposito in goal, in the 1973 Stanley Cup Finals.

Now, I know you all want the Blackhawks to beat the Canadiens--so I hope you'll all send good vibes in that direction... BTW it'll be on TSN too.

Thanks...and thanks for making me a part of this fantastic hockey forum!

:D

----

GAME DAY: Chicago Blackhawks at Montreal Canadiens -- 7:30 ET, March 31, 2009 Chi Chicago at GAME DAY: Chicago Blackhawks at Montreal Canadiens -- 7:30 ET, March 31, 2009 Mon Montreal

7:30 PM ET, March 31, 2009
Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Versus/TSN

Blackhawks-Canadiens Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

It's been almost two weeks since Cristobal Huet made a start in net for the
Chicago Blackhawks. His next is expected to come against the team with which he enjoyed the most success of his career.

Huet will try to help the Blackhawks bounce back from a frustrating loss Tuesday night when he returns to Montreal to face the Canadiens for the first time since they traded him last season.

After winning 37 games in his previous two seasons with Montreal, Huet was 21-12-6 with a 2.55 goals-against average when the Canadiens traded him to Washington on Feb. 26, 2008, in order to give then-prized rookie Carey Price more playing time.

Huet went 11-2-0 with a 1.63 GAA and won three playoff games for the Capitals, but signed a four-year deal with Chicago in July. He is 19-14-4 with a 2.50 GAA this season, but hasn't started since making 24 saves in a 4-3 overtime loss at Columbus on March 18.

After Nikolai Khabibulin started Chicago's last five games, including a 4-0 home loss to Vancouver on Sunday, coach Joel Quenneville will go with Huet to help the Blackhawks (40-23-11) avoid a season-high fifth straight road loss.

With home-ice advantage in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs on the line, the Blackhawks and Canucks are tied for the coveted fourth spot. Chicago has a game in hand on Vancouver.

"We've got eight games and everyone is more important than the next," Quenneville told the Blackhawks' official Web site. "Everything gets compounded. It's a fun time of the year."

This is the only meeting between the Original Six clubs this season. Montreal won 4-3 in overtime at home over the Blackhawks on Jan. 8, 2008 in the teams' most recent meeting. The Canadiens have won six of the last eight in the series and three in a row at home.

Montreal (38-27-10) lost 4-3 in a shootout to visiting Buffalo on Saturday. The Canadiens, 2-0-1 since losing five in a row (0-3-2), own the eighth and final playoff spot in the East with eight games remaining.

Alex Kovalev had two goals, Chris Higgins one and Alex Tanguay added two assists Saturday for the Canadiens, who are 2-1-1 on a five-game homestand before playing four of their final six on the road.

Price made 34 saves for Montreal, which overcame a two-goal deficit by scoring three straight in the second period.

"I don't think we responded badly, but I don't think we made the plays to alleviate that pressure," said Higgins, who has three points in his last four contests.

Kovalev has five goals in his last three games, while Tanguay looks to extend his point streak to six games. Tanguay has three goals and seven assists during that span and 10 with 21 assists in 27 career games against Chicago.
Price, who has never faced the Blackhawks, is 22-14-9 with a 2.81 GAA this season.

The Canadiens hope to have forward Andrei Kostitsyn back after he missed the last two games with the flu. Kostitsyn has a team-leading 23 goals -- three shy of his career high.

Shut out for just the fifth time, Chicago had its three-game winning streak snapped Sunday. Martin Havlat had his point streak stopped at five games.
Havlat has five goals with five assists in his last six contests overall and six with nine assists in 20 career games against Montreal.

GAME DAY: Chicago Blackhawks at Montreal Canadiens -- 7:30 ET, March 31, 2009 Hawks-10

Congrats Dave, have a good time.
There is no arena in the NHL with the atmosphere that the Bell Centre has. You have to be there to explain it I guess. Smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Congrats Dave, have a good time.
There is no arena in the NHL with the atmosphere that the Bell Centre has. You have to be there to explain it I guess. Smile

Thanks T-Guy...I'm stoked for this one... cool)

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'll definitely be rooting for you and the Hawks. And I'll keep my eye peeled for someone supporting the Hawks who looks like they'd be called Dave the Rave. Of course that's when i'm not watching the Sens game.

Bonne Chance!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:I'll definitely be rooting for you and the Hawks. And I'll keep my eye peeled for someone supporting the Hawks who looks like they'd be called Dave the Rave. Of course that's when i'm not watching the Sens game.

Bonne Chance!

Thx BD...if the Hawks can beat the Habs and the Sens can beat the Cats that's a definite win-win...will be hoping for the Sens to get it done in Sunrise too!

Cheering

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Like TGWTM said... There is no place like the Bell centre. I went to see the Sabres-Habs game this weekend and the atmosphere is nuts. You will have a blast Dave. Go Hawks!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Have a good time - and Go Hawks!!!!!!!!

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'll probably watch a lot of this one - I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Only saw the TSN headline, but apparently Gainey wasn't overly happy at the Habs' practice. Les Bleu Blanc et Rouge will either come out flying or with no confidence at all.

I'm hoping for a great game - the Habbies are usually pretty entertaining to watch in their own right. Let's just hope the Hawks pull it out.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

davetherave wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I'll definitely be rooting for you and the Hawks. And I'll keep my eye peeled for someone supporting the Hawks who looks like they'd be called Dave the Rave. Of course that's when i'm not watching the Sens game.

Bonne Chance!

Thx BD...if the Hawks can beat the Habs and the Sens can beat the Cats that's a definite win-win...will be hoping for the Sens to get it done in Sunrise too!

Cheering

Now here is the small little problem with this scenario that I find. Given Ottawa's playoff hopes are all but gone, is this the rare occasion to cheer, not necessarily for Ottawa to lose, but for Florida to win since Florida needs the two points to hopefully catch and pass Montreal.

Maybe I'll just cheer for the good old 3 point game. That way if Florida makes up 1 point on montreal its better than nothing...

decisions, decisions...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Isn't it funny that the two goalies at the centre of the controversy last year (Huet traded and Price made the #1) are both warming the benches?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Congrats Dave, have a good time.

I think of the current stadiums you may be right on that but I will say I've heard from many people, including ex-players, that the old Chicago Stadium couldn't be beat for atmosphere. It's too bad Dave never got a chance to see them in that old stadium.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

pgood wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Bonne Chance!

Cheering

Now here is the small little problem with this scenario that I find. Given Ottawa's playoff hopes are all but gone, is this the rare occasion to cheer, not necessarily for Ottawa to lose, but for Florida to win since Florida needs the two points to hopefully catch and pass Montreal.

Maybe I'll just cheer for the good old 3 point game. That way if Florida makes up 1 point on montreal its better than nothing...

decisions, decisions...

I'll make it easy for you. Cheer on your team. Remember regardless of who you cheer for the outcome is uneffected so just forget about the standings and cheer for your team :D

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

GO HAWKS GO!!!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Well, I'm off to Montreal...thanks to everybody for your support...I'll bring a hunka hunka GM Hockey karma with me!

:D

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Isn't it funny that the two goalies at the centre of the controversy last year (Huet traded and Price made the #1) are both warming the benches?

Ahh Prags, ever the pessimist...look at it instead as a delicious drama...Count of Monte Cristobal returning to wreak revenge on the club that tossed him overboard for the anointed Prince Jesus Price...
cool)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum