GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks, Friday April 3, 2009, 8:30pm ET

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Another contest between Central Division rivals that promises to be a thriller. And much on the line for both of them. Two very well matched, exciting clubs with some great young talent...

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks, Friday April 3, 2009, 8:30pm ET NshNashville at GAME OF THE NIGHT: Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks, Friday April 3, 2009, 8:30pm ET ChiChicago

8:30 PM ET, April 3, 2009
United Center, Chicago, Illinois

Predators-Blackhawks Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

One more victory can help the Chicago Blackhawks put years of misery behind them.

With their next win, the Blackhawks will clinch their first playoff berth in six seasons and second since 1996-97. If they want to celebrate Friday night at home, they will need to get past the feisty Nashville Predators, who have stayed in the postseason race despite mounting injuries.

Chicago (41-24-11) enters Friday's game nine points ahead of the Predators, who are ninth in the Western Conference with five games remaining. The Blackhawks are fifth with 93 points -- one behind Calgary and Vancouver in the quest for home ice in the postseason's opening round.

"We want to get fourth in the conference," Chicago coach Joel Quenneville said. "That's the motivation for us."

Chicago avoided a three-game losing streak Wednesday night with a 3-1 home win over St. Louis -- its fourth victory in its last five games at the United Center. The Blackhawks scored twice in the first 15:52 and outshot the Blues 30-17 in support of Nikolai Khabibulin, who missed his second shutout of the season on a goal with 1.5 seconds left.

Patrick Sharp and Martin Havlat each had an assist as they continued their recent strong play. Sharp has three goals and three assists is six games since returning from a knee injury. Havlat, who leads the Blackhawks with a career-best 69 points, has five goals and 11 points in his last eight contests.

On Friday, Quenneville will likely stick with Khabibulin, who is 3-0-1 with a 1.47 goals-against average in his last four starts against the Predators.

Chicago is 1-2-1 this season against Nashville, but is 4-0-1 in the last five meetings between the teams at the United Center.

Already missing leading goal scorer Jason Arnott due to a concussion, the Predators (38-31-3) have lost forwards David Legwand and Martin Erat over the past two weeks.

Legwand, one of three Nashville players with 20 goals, is expected to miss two more weeks after fracturing his cheekbone in a March 24 practice. Erat, who is tied for second on the team with 50 points, is out for the season with a broken leg suffered during Sunday' 4-3 win at Detroit.

The Predators had a three-game winning streak snapped Tuesday night with a 2-1 loss at Columbus, as Raffi Torres beat Pekka Rinne with the game-winner with 15:55 remaining.

Nashville, though, enters Friday just one point behind St. Louis for the West's final playoff spot.

"We've just got to fight for points," said Predators coach Barry Trotz, whose team is seeking its fifth straight postseason berth. "I wish we would have been able to get a point. It's not necessarily about winning or losing, it's about getting points. Because you never know what point may get you in or may keep you out."

Rinne, who will likely start Friday, has allowed four total goals in two victories over Chicago this season.

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks, Friday April 3, 2009, 8:30pm ET Preds-10

unfortunately for chi-town, the preds will pull this one off, as they beat the Hawks 2-1 in overtime.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:unfortunately for chi-town, the preds will pull this one off, as they beat the Hawks 2-1 in overtime.

TGWTM, have you been using that Hockey Crystal Ball of yours again? LOL

davetherave wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:unfortunately for chi-town, the preds will pull this one off, as they beat the Hawks 2-1 in overtime.

I'm getting the score right so far...the teams is another case entirely Facepalm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
davetherave wrote:

I'm getting the score right so far...the teams is another case entirely Facepalm

You can be redeemed...become a Hawks fan LOL.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hawks win and clinch their first playoff spot since 2002.
:D: :D: :D:

Here Come The Hawks.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

That definitely deserves some celebration.

cheers Cheering :KKK: :##: :%%: :BB:

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:Hawks win and clinch their first playoff spot since 2002.

Here Come The Hawks.

So I guess that leads to the question, who would you most likely want to face in the first round?? The most likely possibilities are Calgary and Vancouver, although Columbus is a possibility, far-fetched, but possible. So who do you think will be the best matchup for Chicago?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:Hawks win and clinch their first playoff spot since 2002.

Here Come The Hawks.

So I guess that leads to the question, who would you most likely want to face in the first round?? The most likely possibilities are Calgary and Vancouver, although Columbus is a possibility, far-fetched, but possible. So who do you think will be the best matchup for Chicago?

Based on what has been said by Joel Quenneville and his guys, the Blackhawks are not too concerned about a 'best matchup' right now. The focus, as Quenneville has stated, is on finishing strong, securing fourth place and home ice. With tough games coming up against Central Division rivals, Columbus (twice), Nashville, and Detroit (twice), the Hawks have their priorities straight.

Obviously, looking at the season records and the play against these teams, the Hawks have been most successful against Calgary, with Columbus and Vancouver being more difficult. But the matchups are not set at this point with the fluid situation in the standings, so Chicago is taking nothing for granted. All the potential adversaries are tough.

The Blackhawks have improved their team as the year as gone on, and adding Sammy Pahlsson is a key factor. His experience and excellent two-way play have helped them overall, much as Antoine Vermette has in Columbus. With five wins in their last seven, the team has momentum.

As Pahlsson has been quoted, the Hawks 'have all the tools', adding 'we just need to put it together at the right time'. He knows something very valuable about what it takes to win in the playoffs, as do Nik Khabibulin and Andrew Ladd.

And in the playoffs, anything can happen.

:D:

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Sammy Pahlsson was definitely a good pickup for Chicago, it's just too bad they lost Craig Adams. I've always liked Craig Adams for some reason, I can't really put my finger on why. I think it has to do with the fact that he is someone who has played over 500 career games, has less than 100 career points and isn't a fighter or goon. He has fought, he sticks up for his teammates, but he's not an enforcer. He also has a Stanley Cup ring, he could have been an asset to the Hawks in the playoffs.

Getting Patrick Sharp back from injury is definitely something that will help the Hawks in the stretch run. I don't know how far the Hawks will go this year, but it's sure that with the young team they have, they'll be contenders in the coming years.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

DIdnt Sharpa injured himself again last night?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:Sammy Pahlsson was definitely a good pickup for Chicago, it's just too bad they lost Craig Adams. I've always liked Craig Adams for some reason, I can't really put my finger on why. I think it has to do with the fact that he is someone who has played over 500 career games, has less than 100 career points and isn't a fighter or goon. He has fought, he sticks up for his teammates, but he's not an enforcer. He also has a Stanley Cup ring, he could have been an asset to the Hawks in the playoffs.

Getting Patrick Sharp back from injury is definitely something that will help the Hawks in the stretch run. I don't know how far the Hawks will go this year, but it's sure that with the young team they have, they'll be contenders in the coming years.

The Hawks couldn't keep Craig, who was a good utility man, as they needed to make room on their roster.

In any case, Pahlsson, Khabibulin and Ladd all have Cup rings...

Sharpie is day-to-day after hurting himself diving to make a play and ramming the goal post last night. Hopefully, not a serious injury, as he was going well.

Whatever happens, it's a fun time for Chicago Blackhawks fans.

cool)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum