GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks?

+17
PKC
Sp00nz
Hockeyhero22000
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
wprager
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

African-American and Chicago-based ESPN columnist Scoop Jackson provides his own perspective on the Hawks' outreach to their consituents in this recent article.

Being a black Hawks fan
Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com, May 23, 2009

As a kid, I loved hockey. Not like basketball or baseball or boxing or even tennis. But living in Chicago under the almighty omnipresent auspice of the Blackhawks, every kid had to love hockey. We had no choice. A winning organization can do that to a childhood.

Understand, back then, the Hawks were it. Winning divisional championships was the norm (they won eight from 1969-70 through 1979-80). There was a seasoned Stan Mikita, a young Tony Esposito, Pit Martin, Bill White and Pat Stapleton on defense. Keith Magnusson. Bobby Hull was my Orr. The names were almost household. Enough to make a black kid wanna get some skates and wanna be like Stan.

Which I did. It was the thing to do. The perpetual-ness of sorry-ness was our existence in sports in Chicago: The Bears were sorry, the Bulls were sorry, the Sox were sorry, and the Cubs were only in their seventh decade of World Seriesless-ness. It was before Mark Aguirre put DePaul back on the map, before the Illini started fighting, before the Chicago Sting did their (brief) thing. The racial and political divide that was being established in the city at the time was superseded by only one thing: a team that established itself as a winner.

But still there were issues. As much as the city wanted to be "We Are The World" about hockey, Chicago still was a city of the times. Learned the hard way by me. Every time I went to play hockey, and almost always being the only kid of color out there, it took me awhile to figure out why people (including some teammates) were always shooting the puck at me -- especially when I was never the goalie. At 8, 9, 10 years old I had to learn how to fight the power before Public Enemy.

But that still didn't deter or distance me from the Hawks. I still rolled with them through the Denis Savard, Jeremy Roenick, Ed Belfour and Chris Chelios eras. Even met some brothas who rode with them. It was like a secret society. Like we all ate Frosted Flakes living our lives in silhouette, a witness-less protection plan. While the Bulls were winning championships, we'd stay (sometimes posing as Andy Frain employees) at the Stadium after games to see the union workers (Local 714, I think) pull the wood up to display the ice underneath. That was our show of support.

But as the winning lessened, so did the following. No resentment harbored toward the sport or the Hawks, there just seemed to be no room left to cheer. The Bears had won a Super Bowl, the Bulls had pulled down six chips and Michael Jordan became larger than life and death. The Sox won a World Series and the Cubs brilliantly turned a losing identity into one of the most lovable marketing campaigns in the history of grassroots advertising. The Hawks, even among the die-hard fans, had become close to irrelevant. And when ESPN (in 2004 on Page 2) tagged them as the "worst franchise in sports," kiss 'em goodbye.

But then, change. When new owner Rocky Wirtz and GM Dale Tallon came in and righted the wrongs that had been done by Rocky's father, former owner Bill Wirtz (including putting home games back on local television and reconnecting with heroes such as Mikita, Hull and Esposito, amongst other things), the cloud of insignificance was lifted off the city's third-favorite franchise.

And when the Winter Classic came to Wrigley on New Year's Day, I got at least four calls from brothas who wanted to know when we were going to drop the $350 required to own one of these authentic WC Blackhawks sweaters. These calls coming from cats who don't even own Jordan jerseys. Aesthetics, baby. No doubt, the Hawks were bizzack.

So when they took the Red Wings into overtime in two of the first three games of the Western Conference finals, I figured it was time to bring my support out of the dark. Fair-weathered? Maybe. But again, the history is convoluted. Sorta complicated.

To Hawkeyes I went. Of the five "official-unofficial" Hawks spots in the city (WestEnd on Madison, Stanley's on Fullerton, The Stanley Cup in the West Loop and Boundary in Wicker Park also are recognized citywide), this one came recommended as the best to "welcome yourself back into Hawkeydom."

Time to give back the love. Time to tie this series.

And just as expected -- even though there was a piece on Sunday in the Tribune about how the "new" Blackhawks were attracting more African-Americans (including Michael Jordan) and female fans -- there were more black people on the ice (Hawks right winger Dustin "Big Poppa" Byfuglien and ref/linesman Jay Sharrers) than in the bar. But it was cool. This is not Kent State or "Higher Learning," this isn't even about a post-Obama racial harmony hangover. This is about the Blackhawks. Winning again.

And for two hours I sat there, ordering drinks and food from one of the most attractive groups of bartenders and waitstaff in the city. Screaming at the screens with the rest of my fellow Hawks fans who couldn't get a ticket into the United Center. Watching the Red Wings turn hope into depression before the third period.

Then, finally, someone asked me.

"Bro, you follow hockey?"

"Yeah," I said. "Especially when the Hawks are winning."

"Lemme ask you a question," the dude followed up. "How does it feel to be, you know, a black guy that likes hockey?''

I bought the guy and his friend a shot. They had on Kane and Toews T-shirts. They're family at this time of year. We all are.

Then I answered their question.

"I feel like a Chicagoan."

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

In general terms what's next for the Hawks is that the people that built the current team will be gone. The team they built will do well. Bowman will get the credit, for some reason.

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

BLACKHAWKS TEAM REPORT
Inside Shots/YahooSports.com, June 12, 2009

The Blackhawks completed postseason organizational meetings on June 4 and now have to decide who will be re-signed for next season and who they will target in the NHL entry draft.

Martin Havlat is clearly the first target when it comes to player signings. General manager Dale Tallon said he wants Havlat back, and the star winger made it clear that he wants to return to the Hawks.

Tallon and Allan Walsh, Havlat’s agent, had preliminary talks during the season and resumed negotiations the day after the Detroit Red Wings eliminated the Hawks from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Still, there has been no signing.

The Hawks might be simply waiting to make an announcement when it would have the most impact—after the Detroit-Pittsburgh championship series is over, for instance (note: this report compiled before the series ended--Ed.)—but the free agent signing period is coming on July 1. Other teams can make offers to Havlat at that time.

Havlat signed a three-year, $18 million contract when he joined the Hawks. His first two seasons were disappointing as injuries severely curtailed his playing time. This season, though, Havlat played in all but one regular-season game and missed only the last game of the playoffs. He led the team in scoring in both the regular season and postseason.

Reportedly, Havlat and the Hawks have been discussing a long-term deal in the range of 8-10 years, but salary cap considerations could be a stumbling block.

Season Highlight: There were lots of them, but two stand out—the franchise-record nine-game winning streak in the regular season and the clinching game over Vancouver in the Western Conference semifinals in the postseason, a home win that featured
Patrick Kane’s first career hat trick. In sharp contrast to seasons of the recent past, all was upbeat with this season’s Hawks.

Turning Point: It definitely was the month of April. The Hawks were starting to waver in March, but they went 6-0-1 in the last weeks of the regular season and earned their first two wins of the season over Detroit in the last two games.

Notes, Quotes

The Hawks averaged 22,616 in attendance through eight home dates during the playoffs and established an NHL club record by attracting an average of 21,783 for 40 home games at the United Center. The other home game, at Wrigley Field in the Winter Classic, drew 40,818. All the home games were televised as well, a change in policies of the past. It all added up to the Hawks becoming relevant in Chicago sports again and prominent within the NHL.

Adding Scotty Bowman to the front office mix as senior consultant suggested that general manager Dale Tallon’s authority might be in question. There was no sign of turmoil following the unexpected firing of coach Denis Savard four games into the season, however. New coach Joel Quenneville directed the Hawks to new heights, and Tallon showed no signs of personal concern after the season. “I have one more year on my contract. I’ve been a Blackhawk for 32 years, and I look forward to being here a lot longer,” said Tallon. “I want to continue to do what I’m doing and build the best possible team we can.”

Quote To Note: “We came seven wins short of our goal, but it was a very good year. Our improvement was dramatic from the year before. We’re not satisfied, but we’re pleased with the way things progressed. The passion and commitment of our young players … I’m so proud of the way they handled everything.”—Hawks general manager Dale Tallon.

Roster Report

Most Valuable Player: A tough call, but the nod goes to defenseman
Duncan Keith. He was a steady workhorse throughout, and his value was underscored when the Hawks struggled for four games while he was recovering from a concussion.

Most Disappointing Player: During the regular season it was winger
Dustin Byfuglien. Quenneville called his play “ordinary,” and it was at best inconsistent. In the playoffs, though, Byfuglien had a breakthrough and turned into the aggressive player the Hawks had always envisioned he’d become.

Free Agent Focus: The Hawks have four unrestricted free agents and hope to keep Martin Havlat, Sammy Pahlsson and
Matt Walker. Salary-cap issues will likely lead to the departure of Nikolai Khabibulin. Unlike recent seasons, the Hawks don’t figure to be big players in free agency. They’ll see who’s available and might be able to get a big, stay-at-home defenseman or perhaps a player who has the skills to be the designated enforcer.

Player News:

D
Brent Sopel is in limbo. Sopel appeared fully recovered from elbow surgery in December when he participated in full workouts throughout the playoffs. He has another season left on his contract, but the Hawks have no room for him now that young defensemen Cam Barker and Niklas Hjalmarsson have proved that they can do the job.

General manager Dale Tallon could hardly miss getting a good player in recent NHL drafts. Because of the Hawks’ poor play they had high first-round picks the last six years. In 2003, defenseman
Brent Seabrook was the 14th overall pick, and Hawks had first picks no worse than that in the following seasons. That’s not the case now. Barring a trade, the Hawks will pick 28th—their latest pick since Remi Royer was the 31st player chosen in 1996.

Quote To Note: “The whole league has been trying to close the gap on Detroit, and we made significant inroads. We pushed them a little bit in the regular season, and in the playoffs three games went to overtime and both games in their building were close. But they’re still an elite team.”—Hawks coach Joel Quenneville on challenging Detroit in the Central Division, the Western Conference and the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Medical Watch:

D Brent Sopel ended the season on injured reserve after undergoing elbow surgery, but he skated with the team throughout the playoffs.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

EJ Hradek and Ian Fyffe huddle over what has to happen with the Hawks.

BIGGEST FIX COULD BE CREATING CAP ROOM
Dealing defenseman could help keep young stars clustered in Chicago
EJ Hradek, Ian Fyffe/ESPN INSIDER, June 19, 2009

Plugging Holes - Chicago Blackhawks

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 4 Chi
The Hole: Team penalty killing

Chicago is a very good all-around team, and is likely to get better as its young core of talented players matures over the next few years. The one area where the Blackhawks are below average is killing penalties. They recorded an 11.8 team GVT on SH defense, compared to a league average of 16.3.

The Fix: Trade D Brian Campbell to the Rangers for D Michal Rozsival

This is a bold move, but necessary. While Campbell was a more valuable player overall than Rozsival last year (11.7 GVT versus 8.3), he simply doesn't compare when killing penalties. Rozsival led the NHL with a 5.4 GVT on shorthanded defense, while Campbell was barely called upon to kill penalties.

The Hawks have such young talent on the blue line in Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Cam Barker that they shouldn't really miss Campbell, and Rozsival is only one year older at any rate.

Chicago also gains about $2.8 million in salary cap space, which is useful because many of the Hawks' young players will soon become restricted free agents (Barker, Kris Versteeg and Dave Bolland this year, and more importantly, Keith, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews next year). Expect these players to command substantial raises.

E.J.'s Take: I could endorse this move, but not necessarily because of any penalty-killing implications. I think it makes sense because the Hawks will need to create cap room in the future.

Campbell will count $7.14 million against the cap for each of the next seven seasons. That's too much for a guy who stands third among defensemen on their depth chart. His cap number will limit the club's flexibility when they're talking future contracts with core stars like Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.

By making this swap, the Hawks would save $2.8 million per season in real dollars ($2.14M in budget space) for each of the next three seasons. In the subsequent four seasons (between 2012-13 and 2015-16), they'll have the full $7.14 million to use as they see fit.

Iain Fyffe is a writer for Puck Prospectus. E.J. Hradek is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Note: A mainstay of Puck Prospectus's metrics is "Goals Versus Threshold" (GVT). The stat blends an array of offensive and defensive figures to measure the value, in terms of goals, a player contributes above what the marginal player would over the course of the season. A marginal player is one that could be replaced with a player of equivalent skill, e.g. from the minors. For instance, Evgeni Malkin had an offensive GVT of +18.9, a defensive GVT of +4.5 and a total GVT of +23.4 for the 2008-9 regular season, meaning that Malkin was worth 23.4 goals more than a marginal player over the course of the season, or worth about 0.3 additional goals per game. In the team context, GVT refers to performance above an NHL average team. For the regular season, the Detroit Red Wings had a +30.8 offensive GVT, a +15.1 defensive GVT, a -21.5 goaltending GVT, for a +24.4 total GVT. Therefore, at even strength, Detroit was 24.4 goals better than the average team.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Chris Kuc at the Chicago Tribune updates the picture for the Blackhawks as Tallon heads to Montreal for the draft and meetings with player agents.

Key time for Blackhawks
Chris Kuc, The Tribune/'Icing', June 24, 2009

What happens in Montreal in the next couple of days could go a long way toward determining how the Blackhawks' roster will look for the 2009-10 season and beyond.

General manager Dale Tallon and his staff are balancing preparing for the NHL entry draft, which begins Friday night, and determining the fate of several key free agents.

Tallon said Tuesday prior to leaving for Montreal that he would meet with Allan Walsh, the agent for winger Martin Havlat, and Jay Grossman, goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin's agent, in the days leading up to the draft.

After the Hawks' season ended at the hands of the Detroit Red Wings late last month, Tallon said he was optimistic a deal for Havlat, the team's leading scorer in both the regular season and playoffs, would get done. Closing in on a month later and with free agency set to open July 1, no deal has been struck.

"My opinion hasn't changed," Tallon said. "We're going to try and get it done."

If you can believe what Havlat says via Twitter, he only has eyes for the Hawks. I'm not sure where I stand on believing what I read on Twitter because you never know who really is behind the keyboard, but I've asked around and apparently it really is Havlat tweeting or at least Walsh, who updates his own Twitter account often.

Anyway, Havlat's last two postings from the Czech Republic are:

"Just waking up. I had some meetings with my agent in Prague the last few days and he is on the way to Mtl. He will meet with Dale tonight."

And later: "Everyone should know I am only thinking about signing with Chicago. It's where I want to be."

Here's the link if you want to follow along:
http://twitter.com/martinhavlat

Here's Walsh:
http://twitter.com/walsha

Tallon appears to remain optimistic a deal will get done, but it will take some creative accounting or a discount from Havlat for it to happen. The veteran made $6 million last season.

Tallon would likely prefer to sign Havlat to a one-year deal so he has money to spend when Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith will all be eligible for new contracts after next season.

The Khabibulin situation is a bit different and his return is less likely than Havlat's. The veteran goalie made $6.75 million last season and the Hawks already have Cristobal Huet signed for three more seasons.

Tallon said he plans to meet with Khabibulin's agent, Jay Grossman, in Montreal as well. Barring a surprise, Khabibulin likely has played his last game with the Hawks.

I also asked Tallon about Dany Heatley, the high-scoring winger who played for the Ottawa Senators last season but has asked for a trade.

"He's a hell of a player," Tallon said. "I talk to every GM to find out what's available. We all discuss about who's available."

Barring a major overhaul to a team that reached the Western Conference finals, Heatley wouldn't appear to be an option.

There's no reason for the Hawks to make major changes and Tallon indicated next season's roster probably won't look too different than it does now. "I don't think it will be a lot different," Tallon said. "We could be younger."

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I'm not sure what he means by "we could be younger"; aren't they one of the youngest team in the NHL ?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Chicago Daily Herald and Hockey News columnist Tim Sassone provides a preview on the Blackhawks as Draft Day arrives.

Hawks looking for a center from first round of draft
Tim Sassone, DailyHerald.com/June 24, 2009

The fact the Blackhawks have the 28th selection in the first round of Friday's NHL entry draft in Montreal should be considered a good thing.

While picking near the top of the draft is fun, racking up 104 points during the regular season and advancing to the Western Conference finals as the Hawks did is much more desirable.

The Hawks haven't picked higher than 11th in the last five drafts, getting the likes of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Kyle Beach. This is the lowest the Hawks have ever picked in the first round.

"We're not going to get the same player as we would at one, three or five, but we're going to get a good player," Hawks general manager Dale Tallon said. "It's a pretty good draft. There are a lot of good players between five and 50. "Obviously, we're going to stick with our philosophy of size, speed and character."

If the Hawks get what they want, it will be a center. With Toews and Dave Bolland already established as NHL players after being drafted in 2006 and 2004, respectively, there's a bit of a hole in the organization down the middle.

"I don't know if we're thin at center, but we're young," Tallon said. "(Evan) Brophey and Nathan Davis are still a little bit away. I'd like to get deeper at center.

"When you're picking 28th, if two guys are equal then you look at your depth chart. I'd like to get a center or a defenseman."

It's difficult to project what players might be available that late in the first round, but two mock drafts have the Hawks taking a center.

A player that likely interests the Hawks is center Drew Shore, a 6-foot-2, 198-pounder who played for the U.S. national development team. The International Scouting Service ranks Shore the 14th best player in the draft while The Hockey News puts him at 23, so it's questionable he'll be on the board at 28. Various scouts say Shore is a good skater and forechecker but more or an energy-type forward than a scorer.

Several other centers that might be available to the Hawks at No. 28 are Kyle Palmieri of the U.S. national development team, Louis LeBlanc out of Omaha in the U.S. Hockey League, Swede Marcus Johansson, Richard Panik of Slovakia, Rimouski's Jordan Caron and Kingston's Ethan Werek.

The only thing Tallon knows for sure is the Hawks won't be taking a goaltender in the first round.

"I don't think we'd go that way," Tallon said. "We like what we've got coming."

The Hawks have seven selections in the two-day draft. Rounds two through seven take place Saturday.

Meanwhile, Tallon was supposed to meet Wednesday with Allan Walsh, the agent for Martin Havlat. Tallon remains hopeful that Havlat can be re-signed before July 1 when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Havlat himself gave Hawks fans hope on Wednesday when he twittered from his home in the Czech Republic his desire to remain in Chicago.

"I had some meetings with my agent in Prague the last few days and he is on the way to (Montreal)," Havlat wrote. "He will meet with Dale (Wednesday). Everyone should know I am only thinking about signing with Chicago. It's where I want to be."

As for Chris Chelios, who was told by the Detroit Red Wings he would not be re-signed, he told a news conference Wednesday in Detroit he would prefer to play in the Eastern Conference because of easier travel.

Chelios becomes a free agent July 1 and it's not known what the market will be for the 47-year-old defenseman. It does not appear the Hawks have serious interest in Chelios, although Tallon said he might make a phone call.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

TheAvatar wrote:I'm not sure what he means by "we could be younger"; aren't they one of the youngest team in the NHL ?

Tallon is apparently considering that some of the Hawks' prospects may be ready to play in the NHL next season...which presumedly means moving some older players.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN's Al Cimaglia gives us some insight into who the Hawks might select in this year's Entry Draft, and the chances that their prospects might move up to the big club next year.

SELECTION TIME
Taking a look at who the Chicago Blackhawks might draft

Al Cimaglia, ESPNChicago, June 25, 2009

Young prospects are the foundation for successful NHL franchises. I do not watch prospects play often enough to have a strong opinion as to whom the Blackhawks should select in the upcoming draft. For insight, I went to a couple of people who spend a great deal of time evaluating NHL prospects.

I would like to thank Mark Edwards, of HockeyProspects.com, for providing some input as to possible Blackhawk selections. Hockey Prospects ranks the top 210 prospects, and I will list those slotted where the Hawks will be picking in the first four rounds. The player's current team will be in parentheses, followed by position, height and weight.

Round 1, pick No. 28: Drew Shore, (USA U-18), center, 6-2, 190.

Round 2, pick No. 59: Ryan Button, Prince Albert, (WHL), defenseman, 6-0, 185.

Round 3, pick No. 89: Roman Horak, (C. Budejovice, Czech Republic), center, 6-0, 189.

Round 4, pick No. 119: Tommi Kivisto, (Red Deer, WHL), defenseman, 6-0, 198.

I also chatted with Shane Malloy, who is the host of the Prospect Hockey show on XM Home Ice. A couple of interesting thoughts surfaced when discussing the draft. I have been listening to Shane the last few years. He is a very knowledgeable source and is known around the NHL.

Chicago hockey fans have been spoiled by the quick impact of recent draft picks. Shane mentioned the normal time for a young prospect to make an impact is four to five years. Anything sooner, especially with selections after the first round, is a bonus. Defensemen and goalies, normally take additional time to develop.

As many know, when watching youth hockey or even soccer, the speed of a play usually illustrates the level of skill.

The ability to play effectively at a fast pace is another factor Shane weighs heavily when evaluating prospects. He points out players have to be able to process information quickly. Physical attributes can be improved, like skating and strength. But to speed up a player's thought process is a more difficult challenge.

The mental aspects of young prospects play a vital role in evaluation these days. Besides psychological testing, the players are studied while performing in many different situations. Hockey is a very fast sport and it requires quick thinking. The best players are not only speedy skaters, but fast thinkers as well.

How much will the departure of Rick Dudley impact the Hawks?

Shane Malloy: Since Rick Dudley has just recently moved on, the impact for this NHL Draft should be not be a factor. But if the Blackhawks make trades that involve other team's prospects, then his wisdom will be missed. In the future, Dudley's absence will be exceptionally hard to replace as he is one of the most respected evaluators of talent in the NHL.

Do the Hawks draft for need or take the best available player, or a little of both?

You should always take the best player available, since the majority of these prospects are not expected to make a NHL roster spot for four to five years. An NHL roster can be dramatically different in that time. It makes sense to accumulate as much talent and make the appropriate trades for specific needs when needed.

Can you name some possible Blackhawk top round selections?

Some prospects who could be available in the late first round and into the second round that might be of interest to the Blackhawks are: Ethan Werek. Jordan Caron, Kyle Palmieri, Simon Despres, Nick Leddy, Anton Lander, Robin Lehner , Ryan O'Reilly, Karl Klingberg , Joonas Nattinen, Marcus Johansson and Richard Panik.

What is your opinion of forward Zach Budish, (6-3, 229), and would the Hawks be interested?

I think Zach Budish has an intriguing upside with his size, strength and scoring ability, but his injury and level of competition caused debate. If he is available to Chicago in the second round, I am sure his name will be discussed.

Do you think the Hawks will trade up or down? If so, who would they target if moving up?

The first question depends on who the Blackhawks have on their list and whether the price to move up is fair value. I am a big believer in sticking to your list and letting good scouts do their job, and to not overpay for players. If they do move up, I would expect they are targeting an offensive defenseman.

Do you have an opinion as to if Jack Skille, Kyle Beach or Akim Aliu will be able to play in the NHL next season?

Of the three, I expect jack Skille to make the roster next season. He has earned an opportunity and showed he can take the next step. The other two would be best served of playing a year in the AHL. They need to learn all the nuances of being a professional hockey player on and off the ice. I think it is absolutely necessary for 99 percent of all prospects to play in the AHL, as it is a fundamental step towards the NHL.

Note: Beach will be ineligible to play in the AHL if he doesn't make the Blackhawk roster in the fall. Because Beach would be too young, he would have to return to Junior's.

How would you rank Chicago prospects, compared to other teams?

Since the majority of recent prospects over the past three years have graduated to the NHL, I think everyone in Chicago should be pleased. The only drawback of so many young players making the jump, is that it takes longer to replenish the stocks than to move them on. They are not as strong as they were a few years ago, but the Blackhawks still have some solid prospects and are in the middle of the pack at this time.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Chicago hockey columnist Tim Sassone, who writes for the Daily Herald and The Hockey News, offers a Martin Havlat update and a snapshot of the Hawks at the Draft.

Hawks offering Havlat one-year deal?
Tim Sassone, DailyHerald.com/June 26, 2009

Apparently one of the reasons why the Blackhawks and Martin Havlat haven't yet agreed on a new contract is the length of the deal.

According to a source, the Hawks' initial offer to Havlat was for a one-year contract. It's not known if the team has moved off that negotiating position.

Havlat likely would receive a multiyear deal should he reach unrestricted free agency on July 1.

Signing Havlat for just one year would assure the Hawks of having more money to spend next summer when Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane are up for new contracts.

Meanwhile, there was plenty of trade buzz in Montreal on Thursday ahead of today's NHL entry draft.

There was a rumor claiming the Hawks as being one of the many teams showing interest in Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle.

If the Hawks are interested in Kaberle, it would seem to lend strength to the speculation they are looking to deal defenseman Cam Barker.

Two of the more interesting rumors Thursday had the Columbus Blue Jackets trying to trade with the San Jose Sharks for center Joe Thornton.

At least two reports indicated the Florida Panthers were close to dealing the negotiating rights to defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, who will be an unrestricted free agent next week.

The Vancouver Canucks are believed to be in serious talks with Florida about Bouwmeester in preparation for losing Mattias Ohlund to free agency.

Trades would spice up what is normally a dull two days of drafting.

Ottawa's Dany Heatley has asked for a trade, and it could happen this weekend with the Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers among the clubs believed to be most interested.

Tampa Bay center Vincent Lecavalier also could be on the move, with the Montreal Canadiens looking desperate to make that trade happen. The Lightning has ownership issues, which could see Lecavalier dealt for financial reasons.

Unless the Hawks pull off a trade today, there won't be much intrigue involving them today during the first round of the draft.

The Hawks own the 28th pick, which won't occur until at least several hours into the 6 p.m. start of the draft.

The top of the draft shouldn't hold many surprises, with the New York Islanders set to pick London center John Tavares, a potential franchise center, first overall.

Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman, a 6-foot-6 potential Chris Pronger-type
player, is expected to go second to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Colorado then should take Brampton center Matt Duchene third. After that, anything can happen.

"The first three picks have separated themselves," said Michael Oke, the chief scout for International Scouting Services. "Then, the next five to seven, everybody has a different opinion."

The first round today should be the coming-out party for Tavares, who has been touted as a potential top overall pick since he was 16. "John is a special player," Oke said. "I don't think there's another kid in this draft who has played as much as he has the last two years. And every time he's been challenged, he's met the challenge."

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon maintains the Hawks will get a good player in the first round, a center, they hope, but it won't be anyone who can step in right away and challenge for a roster spot in the fall.

The Hawks will make six more picks Saturday in rounds 2-7.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Updates on the Blackhawks as of this afternoon:

According to reports from RDS and other sources, Dave Bolland is signed for five years and worth around $18 million. (Per The Bleacher Report: Bolland, 23, scored 47 points in 81 regular season games and had a strong +19 rating. He continued his excellent play in the postseason, scoring 12 points in 17 playoff games.) This deal is not yet confirmed by Hawks management per ChicagoBlackhawks.com.

Talks ongoing with Havlat (re: a one year deal offered by Tallon) and Khabibulin.

Tallon was one of the bidders for Pronger, but said Ducks' asking price of roster players and prospects was more than Chicago prepared to give up.

Hawks still in the mix for Heatley.

Looking at the Hawks' picks through Round Five...

Dylan Olsen
D6-2210Camrose (AJHL)
Brandon PirriC6-0170Georgetown (OJHL)
Daniel Delisle C6-4222Totino Grace (Minn.) H.S.
Byron Froese C5-11191Everett (WHL)
Marcus Kruger C5-11172Djurgarden-Jr. (SWE-Jr.)
David Pacan (From Atlanta)C6-3187Cumberland (CJHL)

Dylan Olsen D 1 28 (28) Camrose
http://www.hockeysfuture....09_prospects_dylan_olsen/

Brandon Pirri C 2 29 (59) Georgetown
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5818

Daniel Delisle LW/C 3 28 (89) Totino Grace...another big kid 6'4" 222
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5779

Byron Froese C 27 (118) Everett
http://www.hockeysfuture....om/prospects/byron_froese

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Chris Kuc at the Chicago Tribune wraps up the Blackhawks' draft picks, and Tallon confirms the Bolland signing.

BLACKHAWKS DRAFT UPDATE
Chris Kuc, ICING/CHICAGOTRIBUNE.COM, June 27, 2009

The NHL draft continued Saturday and the Blackhawks followed up on their first-round selection (No. 28 overall) of defenseman Dylan Olsen on Friday night by picking center Brandon Pirri from Georgetown of the Ontario Junior Hockey League in the second round (59th overall).

Pirri, 18, had 46 goals and 48 assists in 44 games with Georgetown last season. He is a 6-0, 160-pound left-handed shot from Toronto.

With their third-round pick (No. 89), the Hawks took center/winger Daniel DeLisle of Totino Grace High School in Minnesota. Delisle is a big body (6-4, 222) who had 30 goals and 22 assists in 24 games last season.

The Hawks' fourth-round selection (No. 119) was Byron Froese, a center from Everett of the Western Hockey League who had 19 goals and 38 assists in 72 games.

Another center drew the Hawks' attention in the fifth-round round at No. 149, as they took Marcus Kruger from Sweden. Kruger, 5-11, 172, played for Djurgarden, a Swedish junior team.

The Hawks obtained a sixth-round pick (No. 177) from the Atlanta Thrashers and selected center David Pacan of Cumberland of the Candian Junior Hockey League. Pacan had 22 goals and 38 assists in 58 games for Cumberland last season.

With their first pick of the seventh round (No. 195), the Hawks took defenseman Paul Phillips of Cedar Rapids of the United States Hockey League. Phillips, who is from Darien, had eight goals and 25 assists for Cedar Rapids.

The Hawks concluded their portion of the 2009 entry draft by selecting center David Gilbert of Quebec of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the 209th overall pick. Gilbert had 11 goals and 32 assists in 67 games last season.

In all, the Hawks selected six centers and two defensemen during the draft.

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon said late Friday night that the team is set to sign a contract with restricted free agent center Dave Bolland worth a reported $18 million over five years.

"We're just waiting to get it all agreed upon," Tallon said. "We're close to crossing the T's and dotting the I's."

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Blackhawks have a good team, but they won't compete in the West.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Big T wrote:Blackhawks have a good team, but they won't compete in the West.

They did pretty good this year... Western Conference Finals isnt too shabby.

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:

They did pretty good this year... Western Conference Finals isnt too shabby.

It's definatley not, but with Khabby and Havlat likely not coming back, I have a hard time seeing them beating out Detroit, Anaheim, SJ, and maybe even dark horses like Phoenix and Columbus. Second Round max in my opinion.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Hmm...you just said they will go at least as far as the 2nd round in the playoffs.

So aren't you contradicting yourself?

BTW do you hate the Blackhawks as much as your uncle does? That would explain your illogical and unequivocal stance.
Wink

And you know that predictions in hockey are pretty much smoke and mirrors, eh...

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:

Hmm...you just said they will go at least as far as the 2nd round in the playoffs.

So aren't you contradicting yourself?

BTW do you hate the Blackhawks as much as your uncle does? That would explain your illogical and unequivocal stance.
Wink

And you know that predictions in hockey are pretty much smoke and mirrors, eh...

I said second round MAX. The west is simply too competitive for the BH to go far without improving quite a bit.

And yes, I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks, but thats not clouding my judgment. I used to like the Hawks, in the Belfour and Chelios years, but lately I can't stand them.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see why the Hawks should be worse next season. Yes, they may lose a nice player or two, but Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Bolland, Barker, etcetera will all be a year older and wiser.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum