GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks?

+17
PKC
Sp00nz
Hockeyhero22000
caissie_1
Tuk Tuk
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
wprager
Acrobat
asq2
PTFlea
davetherave
shabbs
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:34 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmmmm, where'd I put that paperwork?...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283634

Possible huge clerical error for the Hawks.

107What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:46 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Probably just a slow news day. I seriously doubt either the league or the NHLPA has an interest i turning these guys loose. Unless his holiness Brian Burke wants one of those guys, in which case he'll be on TSN in 5, 4, 3, ...

108What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Hmmmm, where'd I put that paperwork?...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283634

Possible huge clerical error for the Hawks.

Or not.

109What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The expectations have been raised for next season...so what's happening in Hawkey Town?

ESPN's Chicago correspondent Al Cimaglia provides a snapshot from prospect camp...and a tribute to a Black Hawk legend.

LOGJAM AT FORWARD
Hawks' Top Prospects Are All Forwards
Al Cimaglia, ESPN, July 12, 2009

Last Wednesday, I attended Blackhawks prospect camp. For a number of reasons prospect camp is not as important to me as to some. Watching young players perform against varied competition for a few hours is not the way for me to draw solid conclusions. The ages of prospects spanned from 17 to 25 years old.

That said, many years of high draft selections have translated into much better prospects. As a group, their speed of play and skill level is well beyond those of only a few years ago. In the future some will make it to the NHL, and others may be able to play overseas. For the upcoming campaign, only two players from prospect camp appear to have a shot at the NHL come October.

Forwards Akim Aliu and Kyle Beach stood out on the ice, as they should. Both have the size and skill to play in the NHL, but it remains be seen when their time will come. One question is whether either has the NHL IQ to play effectively for the big club in the fall. That answer isn't apparent to me, and at this point management probably doesn't know either. They both may need more experience. Their hockey smarts may not be the only factor to hold back promotions to the NHL for Aliu and or Beach.

Currently, Chicago has 14 NHL-quality forwards signed for next year. That total does not include Aliu, Beach or Jack Skille. Most likely the Hawks will break training camp with 13 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders. Their roster could include only 21 players, but most likely will be 22. As it stands, a 23-man roster is unlikely because of salary cap constraints.

Decisions for Hawks management get more complicated because Beach will not be old enough to play in the AHL next year. A season in the AHL could have helped Beach's development a great deal. Junior hockey has to be getting old for Kyle.

Boredom can often lead to a lack of development or discipline issues. Neither would be good for Beach.

Aliu can play in Rockford for the upcoming campaign, and Skille played there last season. Beach can only see time in Rockford when his junior season ends, as was the case for a short time last year.

So it's not hard to see a logjam at the forward position. Trades appear the only way to clear roster spots if the intent is to get Aliu, Beach or Skille to Chicago in October.

Death in the family

On a sad note, former Blackhawk Reggie Fleming passed away at age 73. He spent four seasons with Chicago and was part of the 1961 Stanley Cup champion team.

He was as tough as they come and was always ready to defend teammates. Fleming also spent time with the Bruins, Rangers, Flyers and Sabres. His NHL career ended in 1971 and he bounced around the minors until 1977.

When hearing of players signing mega, multi-year contracts, my thoughts often turn to Reggie and those of that era. I don't remember very much of his playing career, but I would often see Fleming attending Hawks games after his retirement. He always had time to spend with fans, and would be willing to talk to everyone in his high pitched, raspy voice.

Back in Fleming's NHL days, players weren't well paid. It took the greatest left wing of all-time, Bobby Hull, many years to be able to earn over $20,000 playing hockey. Fleming, like other NHL players from the 60s, had to work in the summers and after retirement. I can recall a few times when I saw him jumping off the back of a beer truck to haul cases into a bar. Many who played back then couldn't rely on an NHL pension to support their families.

Although Fleming would be considered more of a role player, he still played many years in the league when it was a very elite club. To be considered an NHL player before expansion is an accomplishment which can't be taken from him.

Fleming and others from his era paved the road for those in the NHL today.

Unfortunately, he had been in failing health for years. My condolences go out to the Fleming family and friends.

---

As a footnote to all the noise surrounding the Hawks' recent RFA signings, ESPN Insider offers this tidbit:

The Blackhawks may make several moves in the coming months to free up cap room -- for next offseason.

That's when Duncan Keith, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane become free agents. The Hawks will have about $13 to $14 million in expiring contracts, but may need more to sign their core of stars.

"We have everything in place," Tallon told the (Chicago) Daily Herald. "We're not in this short term, it's all big picture. We know what we have to do. We have a plan in place and we're going to continue to keep the core together."

110What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:27 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

With the recent controversy around the Blackhawks, it's easy to forget the team is approaching the 2009-10 season with a completely different set of expectations from just one year ago...not to mention a different coach (Savard to Quenneville), and now a different GM (Tallon to Bowman).

Dale Tallon's own view of his situation was explored by ESPN today:

DALE TALLON SAYS HE'S 'COMFORTABLE' WITH NEW ROLE
Roman Modrowski, ESPNChicago.com, July 15, 2009

Former Chicago Blackhawks general manager Dale Tallon said he's comfortable with his new position as the team's senior adviser of hockey operations, and he said he wasn't offended by Rocky Wirtz's suggestion that he was too old to be the GM.

"I'm very fortunate to be with the Blackhawks," Tallon said during a teleconference Wednesday, which marked his first public statements after being replaced by Stan Bowman on Tuesday. "I'm comfortable with the position I'm in now. I'm in a good place.

"I'm still working for the Chicago Blackhawks, which is a franchise that's deep in my blood. I'm passionate about the Blackhawks, and about helping this team win a Stanley Cup."

There has been speculation that the move was triggered by a rift between Tallon and Hawks president John McDonough, but Tallon said while the two have different styles, the relationship is strong.

"It's a very good relationship," he said. 'It's open and honest.

"We're both different, but the whole organization has different styles. We're both open and honest with opinions. Our goals are the same. Winning the Stanley Cup, that's our goal."

McDonough implied on Tuesday that the communication between he and Tallon could have been better, and Tallon didn't disagree.

"Obviously, there were [communication issues]," Tallon said, "but there was no intent. Sometimes that has happened."

"I think it was a situation where we both agreed this was best for the franchise," Tallon continued. "We had a cordial discussion, John and I. He wanted to take the team in a different direction, and I was fine with it. Although my position has changed, my goal has not."

Tallon, who is very close to the Wirtz family, did not take offense to Rocky Wirtz saying the 58-year-old Tallon is at the tail end of his business career. Bowman is 36.

"[I was] never offended," Tallon said. "I am 58, but I have a very young mind. I'm very agile and very fit.

"I love the Wirtz family. They've been great to me. I still have some fight in me."

Tallon was asked about comments Martin Havlat was quoted saying in an article on TSN.ca on Wednesday, alleging that negotiations to re-sign Havlat were conducted between Tallon and McDonough, rather than Tallon and the player's agent.

"The contract negotiations went on as they do with every player, between the agent and myself," said Tallon, who said he didn't know where Havlat would get such an idea. "No one else."

Tallon continued to state that the recent paperwork fiasco with restricted free agents was under his watch, and he took full responsibility. McDonough said Tuesday if that problem hadn't arisen, he probably would not have reassigned Tallon.

As far as possibly taking another GM job down the road, Tallon chuckled for a second and then said: "Right now, I'm focusing on winning the Cup with the Blackhawks. If we have success, who knows what will happen."

Tallon gave a ringing endorsement to Bowman, who was the assistant general manager for the last two seasons and takes over a young team that advanced to the Western Conference finals.

"I've been with Stan for a long time, and he's more than qualified," Tallon said. "He's a good scout, a good judge of talent."

Tallon said he didn't think the move was generated by McDonough, who came to the Hawks in 2007, simply wanting to bring in his own GM.

"I think every person who takes over has a different philosophy," Tallon said.

"People need to do what they think is best for their franchise, and that's simply the case of what happened here."

---

Far from being complacent about the progress made last year, the prevailing attitude from the Blackhawks organization is that nothing has been won yet.

The message has been repeated loud and clear: the organization is prepared to do what it takes to get the Hawks back to the Final Four, and into the Stanley Cup Finals.

If John McDonough's unforgiving, calculating, even ruthless style is an indicator, an unforgiving, calculating, ruthless--and already exciting--Blackhawks team will take to the ice.

There ARE questions. And EVERYONE will have to be better.

Detroit remains the benchmark. Other teams in the Central Division have improved.

The Western Conference, highly competitive already, will probably be more so.

Whereas the Blackhawks were the 'surprise team' last year, everyone is ready and waiting for them.

And that...is a very good thing.
cool)

111What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:"I've been with Stan for a long time, and he's more than qualified," Tallon said. "He's a good scout, a good judge of talent."
When I read this, I had a quick vision of JFJ and the Leafs. JFJ was that as well - a good scout and judge of talent, just not a good GM. I hope for the Hawks' sake Stan isn't a JFJ.

112What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:29 pm

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:"I've been with Stan for a long time, and he's more than qualified," Tallon said. "He's a good scout, a good judge of talent."
When I read this, I had a quick vision of JFJ and the Leafs. JFJ was that as well - a good scout and judge of talent, just not a good GM. I hope for the Hawks' sake Stan isn't a JFJ.

Well Scotty Bowman's tenure as GM in Buffalo wasn't overflowing with success.

113What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Zoolander wrote:
shabbs wrote:

True... true...

Stan's only 36... is he the youngest GM in the NHL?

If not... who is?

114What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 pm

shabbs wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
shabbs wrote:

True... true...

Stan's only 36... is he the youngest GM in the NHL?

If not... who is?

I thought maybe Fletcher in Minny but he's 41.

115What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:07 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:

No comparison.

JFJ reported to the gray matter at Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Stan Bowman has been with the Hawks organization for eight years.

His father, one of the most successful executives in NHL history, reports directly to John McDonough and Rocky Wirtz.

JFJ didn't have that support at MLSE.

From the Chicago Sun Times today:

STAN BOWMAN EARNED BIG BREAK WITH BLACKHAWKS
Len Ziehm, SunTimes.com, July 15, 2009

Stan Bowman's ascension to general manager of the Blackhawks was in the works for some time before it became a reality Tuesday.

''This is a natural progression for me. I've been preparing for this day for a long time,'' Bowman said at the United Center news conference where he was named the ninth GM in franchise history.

---
Stan Bowman profile

Bowman becomes the Blackhawks' ninth GM.

Pedigree: Father is NHL legend Scotty Bowman, a senior advisor with the Hawks.

Named after: No, not Stan Mikita. Scotty had loftier goals when he named his son after the NHL's top prize, Lord Stanley's Cup.

Resume: Served eight years with the Hawks, most recently as assistant GM of hockey operations. Instrumental in the free-agent signings of Marian Hossa, Tomas Kopecky and John Madden in 2009 and Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet in 2008. Had a hand in acquiring Patrick Sharp, Kris Versteeg and Andrew Ladd.

Education: Graduated from Notre Dame in 1995 with degrees in finance and computer applications.

Health: Diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2007; currently in remission.

Family: Wife Suzanne, along with two sons, Will and Camden.

---

Bowman, the son of legendary Hall of Fame coach Scotty Bowman, has paid his dues in eight seasons with the Hawks. He will have a different management style than predecessor Dale Tallon in that he's more analytical and numbers-minded. He specialized in contract negotiations, free agency, salary arbitration, player movement and player assignment while working under Tallon.

President John McDonough said Bowman's promotion had nothing to do with his father's presence as a senior consultant.

''Scotty is the greatest mind in the history of the game,'' McDonough said.

''Although we consult with him, we've never had a conversation about his son becoming general manager of the Chicago Blackhawks.''

Stan Bowman is a 1995 Notre Dame graduate with degrees in finance and computer applications. During his tenure with the Hawks, he has battled Hodgkin's lymphoma, beating the disease twice. He was diagnosed in February, 2007, and it went into remission. Ten months later, the disease surfaced again and Bowman -- with the help of family friend and hockey legend Wayne Gretzky -- underwent a painful stem-cell transplant. It was successful, and the disease is in remission again.

Throughout his health problems, Bowman kept working, a trait he learned early in life watching his father on his way to coaching nine Stanley Cup winners. Stan, in fact, was named after hockey's prize trophy.

''I was probably exposed to hockey my whole life,'' he said in a recent NHL.com interview. ''I like to absorb things. I'd listen [to his father talk with other hockey leaders] on how to improve your team.''

But Stan wasn't a notable player and never wanted to be a coach like his father. He wanted to get in on the management side, and Scotty advised him to get started with a different team. Stan did that while Scotty was working as a consultant for the Detroit Red Wings.

''I knew right off that coaching wasn't my thing,'' Stan said. ''It probably hasn't hurt me to be Scotty Bowman's son, but if you don't show your own capabilities, you'll never be able to go beyond that.''

Not only did Bowman, married and the father of two young sons, learn hockey's operational side, he also took the job home with him in the form of Patrick Kane. Kane lived in Bowman's basement during his rookie season with the Hawks and went on to win the Calder Trophy.

''We're proud to promote Stan to his new position,'' McDonough said. ''He brings a comprehensive knowledge of hockey, along with a tremendous intellect and methodical approach to building a success team. This is a very natural, and strong, transition.''

While this year's team is pretty much in place, Bowman will face a major task next season when the contracts of Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith all expire. The Hawks are at the salary-cap limit for this season, and signing those key players won't be easy.

''A lot is going to happen between now and then,'' Bowman said. ''We don't know what the salary cap will be, and what our team makeup will be. There are a number of variables, so it's hard to speculate."

---

The guy beat cancer. From what I have seen so far, he is gutsy, humble, and down to earth.

We'll see how he does.

116What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:57 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From yesterday's Chicago Tribune:

Chicago Blackhawks expect Marian Hossa to be out 4 months

New winger had shoulder surgery Friday
By Chris Kuc, Tribune reporter,July 25, 2009

The Marian Hossa waiting game is now officially under way.

The newly signed Blackhawks winger had surgery on his right rotator cuff Friday and if everything goes according to plan with his rehabilitation, Hossa will make his debut with his new team in four months -- two months into the season.

Hossa, who signed a 12-year, $62.8 million free agent contract July 1, played with the injury last season as a member of the Detroit Red Wings and the Hawks knew about the injury when they signed the five-time All-Star to the richest contract in team history. General Manager Stan Bowman said Wednesday the team had hoped non-operative rehab would fix the problem, but instead Hossa had surgery Friday morning.

"Marian's surgery [Friday] went as well as we had hoped and he is right on track for the anticipated recovery we had planned on, which is approximately four months," said Michael Terry, the Hawks' team physician who performed the surgery.

Terry said Thursday the injury was a "small right rotator cuff tear" and that the anticipated post-operative recovery period is four months. Sources have said it typically takes four to six months for this type of injury to be completely healed. Boston's Phil Kessel underwent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and labrum May 21 and is expected to be sidelined six months.

If Hossa returns on Terry's schedule, he would miss the Hawks' first 22 regular season games and could make his debut Nov. 25 against the San Jose Sharks. That game is in the middle of the Hawks' annual circus trip. The first chance for Hawks fans to get a first-hand look at the player who led the Wings with 40 goals last season would be Dec. 1 against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the United Center.

If the rehabilitation lingers for six months, Hossa wouldn't return until late January and would miss more than 50 of the Hawks' 82 regular season games.

Hawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz, who signed off on Hossa's deal, said Friday that the team did not give Hossa a physical at the time of the signing.

"Dr. Terry looked at the MRIs before we signed," Wirtz said. "There was still a chance he didn't need an operation. It's a small tear, we knew that. We thought it was 50-50 he could play with it. We knew exactly what it was. It wasn't where it was questionable or it would be severe. Dr. Terry, one of his specialties is shoulders, and he said he'll miss 19 to 20 games. It could be longer, of course. You have to depend on his advice. That's what he's telling us."

ckuc@tribune.com

---

IMHO it is significant that Rocky Wirtz made the definitive statement on this issue.

After some public faux pas by Blackhawks President John McDonough in the wake of a succession of front office errors, Wirtz evidently decided the best course of action was to step out in front of the media himself.

As owner, Wirtz has final say, though he is generally self-effacing. But the series of situations fueled by a media feeding frenzy and fan discontent (a recent Tribune poll had a slim majority, but a majority nonetheless, of Hawks fans essentially wishing Hossa hadn't been signed), sent a signal Wirtz clearly recognized.

Like his father Arthur and his grandfather William W. before him, William Rockwell Wirtz no doubt understands that hockey is, above all, both blood sport and entertainment business.

The passion of the hockey fan is nothing if not irrational. Where ecstasy, loyalty, defeatism and denial go hand in glove--for the 'fan' is a fanatic if nothing else--the cheers turn to jeers in scant seconds.

Rocky Wirtz has heard them all. He once remarked laconically to John McDonough at a press conference, "Now you know what it's like to be a Wirtz in this town."

If one examines the progress the team has made under his stewardship, two things emerge.

One, Wirtz expects results.

Two, Wirtz is a realist.

An insider from the Hawks organization was quoted, "Rocky Wirtz believes in spending money to make money". Wirtz has given his executives the power to go out and buy the talent that has helped the Blackhawks rocket from the depths of the Western Conference to the Conference Finals, and 65 points to 104 points in just four years.

Leading business journals sing the praises of the Hawks' business model: no other pro sports franchise has demonstrated such a dramatic uptick in revenue over such a short period.

Of course, with success comes jealousy and resentment from the fickle media, not to mention the cackling of fans whose favourites are suddenly being beaten by a resurgent Blackhawks squad.

It was expected the cynics would howl about the so-called 'salary cap crisis' allegedly coming in June 2010. The mocking of the Campbell and Huet contracts has become a battle cry for the new anti-Hawk contingent, led, of course, by those who kiss the scarlet cloaks of the long time rivals from Detroit.

It was even more obvious that the megadeal for Marian Hossa--one of finest forwards in the game and one of the few players in the NHL to go to the Stanley Cup Finals two years in a row--would be met with derision, especially when Hossa's injury was revealed.

One supposes Wirtz knows taking the punches is part of show business.

So Rocky, like the fictional fighter of the movies, just keeps on slugging it out. It's also reasonable to believe he knows you don't win on style or points. It's last man standing.

He may be thinking about his grandfather's singular accomplishment, and his father's near misses. It is clear William Rockwell Wirtz has set himself the goal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to Chicago for the first time in almost half a century.

So from what we have seen, he does what he thinks he must do, whether it meets with the public and media's approval, or not.

As wealthy as the Wirtz family is, and as successful as the conglomerate of companies he controls, Rocky Wirtz can afford to do things his way.

This is a long term project. And the young Blackhawks are ahead of schedule.

As for me, I take things, as Marian Hossa said, "Step by step". I wish Hossa nothing but the best, having always admired his play, and his significant charity efforts to help underprivileged children. I respect his desire to dedicate himself to winning the Cup, for seeking out the team that he believes is the right one for him, and committing long term...even though he has been thoroughly chastised for it. I know first hand his country, his culture, and even the region where he was born...having spent some very happy years working in Slovakia.

Growing up a Hawks loyalist in Ottawa when most everyone else was a Leafs or Habs fanatic, I watched the Black Hawks win that Cup back in '61.

Seeing the teams come so tantalizingly close (with fourteen combined league, conference and division Championships, and five Stanley Cup Finals appearances); the stumbles of the previous decade; and the resurgence; over so many years...my own perspective is appropriately mitigated.

Progress is encouraging, but nothing has been won yet.

So what's next for the Chicago Blackhawks?

One word in Slovak--and one Slovaks are fond of--says it perfectly...Uvidíme.

'We shall see'.
Wink

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total

117What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Very similar to the Russian Uvidem.

It's interesting that the fan poll shows the picket buyers are not supporting the Hossa signing. Very telling. The boy named Marion has to prove himself all over again.

118What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

There's been a lot of love from some Sens fans for Patrick Sharp lately, particularly The Prince of Posters himself, SpezD...so here's a little something on Mister Sharp from one of Chicago's top 'city beat' writers.

SHARP START A SCORING MUST FOR BLACKHAWKS
Mike Kiley, Blackhawks Confidential/ChicagoNow, August 3, 2009

Sports is a funny, ever-changing business. Just weeks after being rumored to be eminently tradeworthy, Patrick Sharp has morphed seamlessly into one of the most important components early in the Blackhawks coming season.

Just like the stock market, Sharp found himself moved from a sell position into a buy almost overnight. Gotta have him.

While Marian Hossa heals from his shoulder surgery and puts undue stress on an offense that will miss the lightning strikes of Martin Havlat, Sharp's leadership role at the outset will be especially emphasized. From expendable to essential often proves to be a short trip in the uncertain world of pro athletes. That's why the best ones need a facile mind to survive being viewed one day as a marketable hero and the next as a saleable commodity. With some players, the vacillating opinions can tear them up and leave them a shadow of themselves, thinking the situation to death.

These are the mental midgets. Sharp appears to stand much taller and straighter, and not be one to dwell on the negatives.

The affable Sharp is certain to say all the right things come training camp, just as he did at the team convention, about never really believing in his heart that he was on his way out of Chicago. And the Hawks are likely to return the favor, no matter if the gossip was true or not.

The truth seldom gets in the way when cover stories are more convenient. Sharp has the kind of ready smile that can sweep all of the fuss away.

But with Havlat gone he will be in a more high-profile role than he had filled and he has to prove that he can handle the responsibilities that are attached to it.

Any doubts will be overcome just as long as the winger starts the 2009-10 campaign the way he did last season, with a furious offensive intensity his special trademark for a second straight year. Sharp will quickly move the focus to the offense needing his goal scoring capabilities in that case, especially until Hossa returns in late November or early December to share the burdens.

Sharp had points in 10 of the first 12 games last season, including 9 goals, and had logged 19 goals through December in a torrid start. Sharp looked as if he might make a run at his 62-point production in '07-'08, when he scored a career-best 36 goals.

Alas, a left-knee sprain and his personal vulnerability of being a streaky scorer combined to keep him from repeating those lofty numbers. In 61 games, Sharp finished with 26 goals and 18 assists for 44 points, a sharp dropoff from where he was beginning last January.

Sharp certainly helped his reputation for being a clutch scorer, however, and a guy that can rise to the big occasions when he scored 7 goals, 4 assists in 11 playoff games.

His game winner in Game 3 of the Western Conference finals at United Center marked the final gasp from excited Blackhawks fans, who still had an expectation then that miracles were possible and that they could overcome Detroit to reach the Stanley Cup finals.

How quickly those dreams collapsed.

Sharp, however, left us at the end of last season with a solid feeling for what he could do when push came to shove. And yet when we all tried to figure out how to clear salary cap space, Sharp's name suddenly came up as the guy that we could live without as long as he brought us a cheaper physical defenseman in trade.

Why would that be? How could we have been ready to part company so easily?
It's pretty simple to explain. Sharp's history is full of blank spaces. There's just not enough there to be definitive about what to expect. While he won't turn 28 until two days after Christmas, you can probably get an argument started on whether his best days are yet to come or already behind him.

The fantasy leagues will be all the over the map when it comes to Sharp.

The ceiling on his talents will be put to the test without Hossa, and if he succeeds, that should go a long way toward affirming his reputation as a surehanded scorer that the Hawks must retain for the near future--even with his $3.9 million annual cap hit.

Right wing Patrick Kane could be integral to deciding whether left wing Sharp thrives or struggles from the outset. Kane's maturing playmaking magic must be percolating in order for Sharp to finish off his shots for goals. They are both good skaters and have to be in tandem to be at their finest form.

Everyone expects that Kane, Sharp and center Jonathan Toews will be the premier line beginning the season, although coach Joel Quenneville has a way of scrambling any set lines into many permutations.

Without Hossa, Quenneville may decide he needs to mix-and-match more than ever. That also will be something to watch for early next season as the Hawks take shape all over again.

No matter what, Sharp will have to score prolifically to ease the pressure on an offense that might search to find itself in the opening weeks.

Any early-season injuries such as the leg problems that sidelined Sharp late last season could be a major setback to Hawks expectations in establishing themselves right away as a championship force. And as long as the season is, they will fare better if they can erase any mental doubts about their image.

As promising as the year seems from this distance, we are dealing with a fragile situation that could be a challenge at any point if Sharp disappears on the ice or into the training room.

But let's look at the bright side. Maybe 2009-10 is the season when Sharp transitions from someone who isn't automatically considered trade bait when you need to start bailing out of salary-cap pressures.

Just maybe Sharp is a guy we need on this team for years to come with his penchant for clutch goals. The ringing answer of affirmation has to come from him in the first two months of the year to set the championship tone.

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Sharp-10

119What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:50 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Detroit Free Press looks at the Hawks' chances this coming season:

BLACKHAWKS WILL POSE BIGGEST THREAT TO WINGS' DIVISION STRANGLEHOLD
George Sipple, FreeP.com/August 10, 2009

The Chicago Blackhawks have emerged as a big threat to the Red Wings' continued dominance of the NHL's Central Division. They appear to have gained the most of any other team in the division this off-season, partly at the Wings' expense.

The Blackhawks signed former Wings Marian Hossa (12 years, $62.8 million) and Tomas Kopecky (two years, $2.4 million) and off-set the loss of a defensive stalwart by signing John Madden (Michigan) to a one-year, $2.75-million contract.

Wings general manager Ken Holland has repeatedly said he expects the Central Division to be the best division in hockey next season, after four teams made the playoffs last season.

Hossa will be sidelined until December after having shoulder surgery, but the Blackhawks have plenty of other offensive weapons, led by Jonathan Toews (34 goals), Patrick Sharp (26), Patrick Kane (25), Kris Versteeg (22) and Dave Bolland (19). Kane has pleaded not guilty after being charged with attacking a cab driver in his hometown of Buffalo on Sunday.

Just as the Wings were the preseason favorite to win the Cup last year -- after winning it in 2008 and then adding Marian Hossa -- the Blackhawks will deal with heavy expectations this season.

If Chicago doesn't win the Cup next season, their two highest paid players, defenseman Brian Campbell and goaltender Cristobal Huet, might be to blame.

Campbell has seven years left on a deal that pays him more than $7.1 million per season. While he scored seven goals with 45 assists last season, he proved to be a defensive liability. In the five-game playoff series against the Wings, Campbell had no goals, one assist and a minus-5 rating.

The Blackhawks have turned over the starting goaltender job to Huet, who will make $5.625 million per season through 2011-12. He has never led a team past the first round of the playoffs.

120What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Hawk_b10

Maybe I'm just being difficult, but I don't want to see any Hawks 'doing the bobblehead' this year.

I fully expect the youthful, physically capable Blackhawks to play smart smashmouth hockey. And I will be most annoyed if they don't.

121What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:45 pm

If Huet plays like that any hope of Chicago winning the cup is absolutely pointless. He was awful.

122What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:If Huet plays like that any hope of Chicago winning the cup is absolutely pointless. He was awful.

He's an odd goalie. Very inconsistent. Plays a stinker, then a gem.

123What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Empty Re: What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:If Huet plays like that any hope of Chicago winning the cup is absolutely pointless. He was awful.

He's an odd goalie. Very inconsistent. Plays a stinker, then a gem.

You two obviously watched a different game.
What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 668437

Huet was solid. Made terrific saves early and did what he had to do. Chicago still has some work to do on defense. Bad turnover by Seabrook leading to Booth's goal.

Hawks with 55 shots on Vokoun.

Got the first point, and that's what matters.
What's next for the Chicago Blackhawks? - Page 8 Icon_cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum