GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The situation with Schubert

+8
wprager
Flo The Action
Acrobat
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
PKC
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1The situation with Schubert Empty The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 8:27 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Read this over on the 6th Sens, and I will be one of the first ones to admit, I am unclear if Schubie fits here, but regardless, I hope this is not the reputation that Ottawa wants when it comes to their young prospects.
---------------------------------------------------------------
It's not my intent to slight Brendan Bell when I say this -- but unless you enjoy rooting for former 67s; are a puck bunny who brags about your conquests; or are a member of the Bell family -- odds are you're not particularly interested in the latest news that Bell is fielding offers to play in the KHL. That's why it has to be satisfying that with the conclusion of the Conference semi-finals, we're now one step closer to that point in time when pertinent Ottawa Senators information can once again be abundantly available. Unfortunately, we're not there yet. Even though this article was written a couple days ago, nothing new has come out since. (No, I'm not including the circle-jerk that has become the NHL rumor mill.) I'm a bit fortunate though. Had things not been this boring, I probably never would have re-read the Bell article and paid attention to this small bit buried at the bottom of it. The talk in league circles is Senators coach Cory Clouston is looking for a former player to round out his staff. Sources told Sun Media that former Senators D Luke Richardson is not likely to return. After retiring as a player following a 22-year career early last season, Richardson was added to the club's coaching staff and worked in the press box for former coach Craig Hartsburg and Clouston. The indications are Richardson was welcome to return and was offered a contract, but the Ottawa native may have decided to step back to spend more time with his family. ~ Bruce Garrioch, The Ottawa Sun On the surface, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Richardson was only an assistant for one season and has now been in the organization for two years. But think about it -- How do you think Christoph Schubert feels right now? It's hard to believe that just two years ago, Schubert was a rookie coming off a season that saw him play a hybrid role on a Stanley Cup finalist team. On this deep and talented Senators squad, Schubert played a unique role. While he did spend some minutes on the back end killing penalties or filling in for an injured defenseman, his positional inconsistencies while playing at even strength prevented him from seeing quality minutes at the position. Compounding this problem was the fact that he was simply too efficient at doing his other job, playing a grinding, fourth line energy role that allowed him to use his combination of size, speed and checking to wear down opponents and create turnovers. When the 2007 campaign ended, many assumed that Schubert would assume and develop in the bottom pairing spot that Tom Preissing had held. As many know, this never happened. Luke Richardson was signed that offseason as a depth guy and surprised many by making the squad in spite of his age and general Dung. At the time, I was amazed that he broke camp as one of the top six defensemen. However, in retrospect it sort of made sense from a coaching perspective for a few reasons. First, this was a relatively unaltered roster that had just gone to the Stanley Cup Final. In consequence, there was intense pressure from the fan base and the local media to produce a winner. It really didn't help matters that in 2006, Melnyk penned a letter proclaiming that not only would the team win a Cup soon but a dynasty to boot. Bigger expectations proportionality lead to less margins for error. Rather than entrust Schubert to develop and learning from his mistakes, Paddock relied upon the veteran Richardson to play well enough for the team to win. It didn't matter that in the long-term it'd be better for the team to develop Schubert than to use Richardson as a stop-gap solution, Ottawa had to win now. Secondly, Despite the team's success on the ice, controversy enshrouded this team as a number of their players were rumored to have been engaged in drug abuse and maybe partying a little too hard. Enter Richardson. A man renowned for his leadership and character. Ottawa was an ideal situation for him -- his playing career was almost over and he was looking into furthering his NHL career as a NHL coach. What better place than here in his hometown? We all know how that season ended so let's look at last season. When it was announced that Craig Hartsburg was the new Head Coach, it represented a fresh opportunity for Schubert to make a positive impression. When he failed to land a spot on the blueline, he handled it like a professional basketball player and sulked. If he was pissed off then, imagine how pissed off he must have been when he was subsequently admonished to the pressbox and was forced to watch Brian Lee and Alexandre Picard Dung the bed for the first portion of the schedule. Yikes. Fast-forward to the present. Unless he's dealt, Christoph Schubert will enter training camp in the same position he's been in the past two years -- As an undeveloped project who feels that he deserves the opportunity to play full time back there. It doesn't help matters that Bryan Murray has assembled a very average defense that is deep in numbers. Things are so bad for Schubert that he's not even being discussed as a candidate by the local media. Simply put, he's an afterthought. A one-time prospect who has detrimentally wasted the last two seasons of development for an organization's short-term gain. Maybe I'm being a bit naive to assume that he would have developed properly if given the opportunity to play fulltime without having to worry about making mistakes. But I've always been the kind of sports fan who would rather watch a player with upside play over a Dung veteran any day of the week. It's the same reason I abstained from watching Blue Jays baseball for a portion last season when Kevin Mench and Brad Wilkerson were Dung the bed and stealing at bats from Adam Lind and Travis Snider. (My apologies for the baseball reference hockey purists.) I may be oversimplifying things here when I say this but I have always felt that what he lacked was the experience necessary to develop the positional hockey sense to play at even strength. If you watch him play 5-on-5, you can't help but notice that he gets lost out there. There's a reason why he's an effective PK guy, he simply knows where to be. While I know that some of you simply won't give a Dung because it's Schubert and your fondest memory of the guy is that he once put a guy through a glass window. I see a wasted talent and a player that the organization failed.

2The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It happens all the time and I feel bad for Schubert but he had opportunities to make full time D. Perhaps not given nearly as much rope as guys like Lee, Picard, Meszaros etc... but you play the hand your dealt right?

- Unknown Author

3The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 8:55 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It happens all the time and I feel bad for Schubert but he had opportunities to make full time D. Perhaps not given nearly as much rope as guys like Lee, Picard, Meszaros etc... but you play the hand your dealt right?
Very true enough in your analysis, and I guess the way you look at it too, its not like he was at the top of our prospect pool anyway, if the Sens did wrong by Karlsson (Erik), then heads would roll.

4The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 9:52 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

In my opinion, it would be a mistake to let Schubert go....but only since we need him to play on that third/fourth line.

It's so hard to find those big, mobile, two-way grinders who can skate, hit, shoot and score. Guys around the league like Dave Steckel, Adam Burish, Travis Moen, Dan Cleary, etc...

These are guys you definitely need on your team. The fill roles, play minutes, and they are cheap, most importantly. You just can't have a hole anymore since the cap, and just go out and get whomever you please to fill that hole for you, at whatever cost. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

I think keeping Bell over Schubert [in terms of a roster spot, not a position in our top six] would be a mistake.

5The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 10:01 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:In my opinion, it would be a mistake to let Schubert go....but only since we need him to play on that third/fourth line.

It's so hard to find those big, mobile, two-way grinders who can skate, hit, shoot and score. Guys around the league like Dave Steckel, Adam Burish, Travis Moen, Dan Cleary, etc...

These are guys you definitely need on your team. The fill roles, play minutes, and they are cheap, most importantly. You just can't have a hole anymore since the cap, and just go out and get whomever you please to fill that hole for you, at whatever cost. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

I think keeping Bell over Schubert [in terms of a roster spot, not a position in our top six] would be a mistake.

Agreed. As I said before, I think he played remarkably well in all situations considering the rust he built up this year under Fartsburg. If not an underrated player, certainly underappreciated.

6The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Always like Schubert a lot, but this is the third straight coach that thinks he sucks. Not that he's okay and needs some development, that he sucks. Harts watched night in and night out as Picard pooed everywhere, then Bell came in and did what Schubert has never done - play the neutral zone and offensive zone with excellent results.

Schubert was good when he was nasty and used his size as his ally. He still can, but now players are slipping around him in the defensive zone.

It's over for Schubert and Ottawa IMO. Three coaches? And not one of them likes him in the least? Bad news. Not to mention that our new coach and first real coach of the three IMO doesn't like him. If that's not the kiss of death, I have no idea what is. Clouston gave everyone a shot, including Schubert, but like the rest couldn't figure out if he was so much of a detriment in our own zone that he should play forward - or if he was useless as a forechecker and was safer as a D-man.

I wish Shubie the best, again, I like him a lot, but he's not going to be a Sen much longer.

7The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 10:54 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Always like Schubert a lot, but this is the third straight coach that thinks he sucks. Not that he's okay and needs some development, that he sucks. Harts watched night in and night out as Picard pooed everywhere, then Bell came in and did what Schubert has never done - play the neutral zone and offensive zone with excellent results.

Schubert was good when he was nasty and used his size as his ally. He still can, but now players are slipping around him in the defensive zone.

It's over for Schubert and Ottawa IMO. Three coaches? And not one of them likes him in the least? Bad news. Not to mention that our new coach and first real coach of the three IMO doesn't like him. If that's not the kiss of death, I have no idea what is. Clouston gave everyone a shot, including Schubert, but like the rest couldn't figure out if he was so much of a detriment in our own zone that he should play forward - or if he was useless as a forechecker and was safer as a D-man.

I wish Shubie the best, again, I like him a lot, but he's not going to be a Sen much longer.

I doubt we will get much of a return then on Schubie since I am sure other coaches have noticed this about him if the brass in Ottawa has. He is definitely a likeable guy, bullet shot, just no focus it seems at times.

8The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 10:55 am

Oh boo hoo, he has had every opportunity to stick on that blue line and hasnt done it. Again, like so many other on this team people throw the blame else where instead of directly on the players them selves. He got beat out by Richardson last year, that tell's you everything you need to know about how "good" of a D man he is.

Schubert couldnt even crack the lineup for the last 1/2 of the year, let alone deserve a full time spot on the blue line.

He takes bad penalties, is dumb with the puck, and has a piss poor attitude on and off the ice. The sooner he is gone, the better. Maybe we can deal him for a minor league goalie to help Bingo.

9The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am

That article also just sounded bitter, there were no real points made, or any facts to back up Schubert.

A PK guy? BEcause he is a big body who is physical. He knows where to be? You have to be kidding me...

10The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
I doubt we will get much of a return then on Schubie since I am sure other coaches have noticed this about him if the brass in Ottawa has. He is definitely a likeable guy, bullet shot, just no focus it seems at times.

We'll be lucky to get anything for him to be honest.

11The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 11:03 am

And anyone who says he didnt get a fair shake, look down the 401 to Toronto and look what Ian White did! EXACT same situation, maybe worse for him. He got put in as a 4th line forward, worked his Donkey off, got back on the point, and turned in a great year that got him to the worlds for Canada.

Excuses, excuses, excuses, I hate them. That's all this article was.

12The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 pm

excuses and one GIANT unbroken paragraph squirrel

13The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Not to defend him, but how motivated would you be if you were promised a fair shot at a position you wanted to play, then (from your point of view) weren't even given a fair shot at a position you didn't want to play.

Yes, I know that this is the big leagues, and that it's an honour to be there, and that they're playing for mucho $$, and all that stuff. But if you are under the impression that the decision is predetermined, then you are much less likely to try.

Again, I'm not defending him or making excuses, but just providing a different viewpoint. It will likely be irrelevant anyhow, as I suspect he'll be a "throw-in" as part of a deal somewhere along the line.

14The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 6:51 pm

cash wrote:excuses and one GIANT unbroken paragraph squirrel

Hahaha, well played sir.

15The situation with Schubert Empty Re: The situation with Schubert Wed May 20, 2009 6:54 pm

Acrobat wrote:Not to defend him, but how motivated would you be if you were promised a fair shot at a position you wanted to play, then (from your point of view) weren't even given a fair shot at a position you didn't want to play.

Yes, I know that this is the big leagues, and that it's an honour to be there, and that they're playing for mucho $$, and all that stuff. But if you are under the impression that the decision is predetermined, then you are much less likely to try.

Again, I'm not defending him or making excuses, but just providing a different viewpoint. It will likely be irrelevant anyhow, as I suspect he'll be a "throw-in" as part of a deal somewhere along the line.

3 different coaches, 3 fresh starts, 1 result.

Motivated? He makes almost 1 mil a year. He is a baby (been that way since his best buddy Meszaros got dealt), trouble off the ice, (tooooooons of stories), and isnt as good as he thinks he is.

I like the discussion it created, but the guy is a goof.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum