GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo Leaving Vancouver?

+7
PTFlea
Mojo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
shabbs
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

91Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Actually Murray could have gotten Khabibulin for him last September. There was serious dialogue in Chicago about that.

Without a contract extension done, that is a terrible deal for the Sens IMHO.

A Stanley Cup winning goalie with a one year deal at 4.75MM who was a starter at the time...for an underachieving centre with an albatross of a five year 40MM contract.

I can understand your reluctance. cool) ...and of course TGWTM's outrage at the mere suggestion.. Wink

Seven years, $49 million. I don't understand why so many people incorrectly report that contract. I've seen 8 or 9 different figures for it. confused

By the way, under-achieving? :KJK:

Back in September, Spezza was coming off a season where he was 6th in NHL scoring on a pace that would have had him behind only Ovechkin and Malkin.

Bulin was the under-achiever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's $6.75 million, not $4.75 million.

Whatever.

This is a discussion about Luongo, or isn't it?

92Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:At the time I recall Murray thinking about taking Khabby on waivers, I can't remember specifically why he didn't. Cap room with Khabby's 6.75 million cap hit I guess, but we had close to that. We could have jettisoned one player and made it work. Gerber, that was it, we would have had to waive Gerber at the point I assume. Or, no, now I remember it was going to be taking on Khabby's salary if we could send them Gerber (a saving of over 3 million dollars in cap space), but I assume Tallon balked at taking on the albatross that was Martin Gerber.

I remember wondering why the Avs didn't step up to the plate, then there was talk about the Hawks potentially not wanting to send him to the West where he might come back to bite him in the arse.

It would have been neat if we got him (although at the time I recall thinking he was all used up), but it wasn't Jason Spezza on the line if I recall. Perhaps for Seabrook as well - or Barker and another piece like Byfuglien, but never a Spezza for Khabby swap. That's borderline insanity when Murray's just signed Spezza - and he was coming off a good year - AND he still had until this July to trade him.

Doesn't/didn't really make sense for either team IMHO.

Emphasis on the *doesn't* as well. I'm fine with Leclaire and Elliott and Auld (and Spezza). And Chicago can't afford Spezza's contract long-term.

93Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Whatever.

:^^^^: If you think this one went off-topic, look at the Gerber vs. Blackhawks thread. First names you'll see are Mary Wollstonecraft, William Godwin, Edmund Burke etc.

94Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:At the time I recall Murray thinking about taking Khabby on waivers, I can't remember specifically why he didn't. Cap room with Khabby's 6.75 million cap hit I guess, but we had close to that. We could have jettisoned one player and made it work. Gerber, that was it, we would have had to waive Gerber at the point I assume. Or, no, now I remember it was going to be taking on Khabby's salary if we could send them Gerber (a saving of over 3 million dollars in cap space), but I assume Tallon balked at taking on the albatross that was Martin Gerber.

I remember wondering why the Avs didn't step up to the plate, then there was talk about the Hawks potentially not wanting to send him to the West where he might come back to bite him in the arse.

It would have been neat if we got him (although at the time I recall thinking he was all used up), but it wasn't Jason Spezza on the line if I recall. Perhaps for Seabrook as well - or Barker and another piece like Byfuglien, but never a Spezza for Khabby swap. That's borderline insanity when Murray's just signed Spezza - and he was coming off a good year - AND he still had until this July to trade him.

Doesn't/didn't really make sense for either team IMHO.

Heater, you are absolutely correct. Here's what Dale Tallon said: "Sure, we would've looked at anything that made sense,but there was nothing that made sense. So, we took the next-best approach, and that was to utilize both of them (Khabby & Huet)." (Source: Chicago Tribune)

Now, let's get back to the discussion on Luongo.

95Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Whatever.

:^^^^: If you think this one went off-topic, look at the Gerber vs. Blackhawks thread. First names you'll see are Mary Wollstonecraft, William Godwin, Edmund Burke etc.

Yeah, don't remind me... Ahhhhh!

How Gerber & the Hawks ended up as a segue into a thesis on the French Revolution is...proof of the fertile and wonderful minds who inhabit this forum.

And I mean that, babe.

96Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:13 pm

davetherave wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Following up on TGTWM's previous linguisitic reference: Hejsan kompis! (I missed you so much!) Jag har saknat dig! (What's new?) Något nytt på gång? (Nothing much), Inte mycket. (Good night!) ... Hej då!

Sverige är ett underbart land...var kommer du ifrån? Kan du prata Svenska?min Svenska är dålig :^^^^:

My voluble friend...it's not the language you use...it's the quality of the content.

Jag måste öva på min Svenska. Jag gillar Svenska språket, jag skulle vilja besöka Sverige en dag igan i sommar.

97Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote: Jag måste öva på min Svenska. Jag gillar Svenska språket, jag skulle vilja besöka Sverige en dag igan i sommar.

Oh, so THAT'S why Luongo needs to be traded...thanks TGWTM>

BTW I really enjoyed my trip to Goteborg a few years ago...Swedish people are so welcoming, and relaxed about things. Picked up my Saab at the factory in Trollhattan, and drove back down to my home in Vienna. Great memories.

So how about that Bobby Lu? Think he'd look good in Sens togs?

98Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Hahaha, I love how people are already talking about another goalie and Leclaire hasnt even played a game.... only Ottawa fans, haha.

99Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, but Dave's a Hawks fan, so he doesn't count.

Sorry, Dave, them's the breaks.

Personal opinion, I'd love to have Luongo here, but I'd also love to see Iginla, Lucic and Chara. Plus a few others.

This isn't NHL2K9.

100Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Yeah, but Dave's a Hawks fan, so he doesn't count.

Sorry, Dave, them's the breaks.

Personal opinion, I'd love to have Luongo here, but I'd also love to see Iginla, Lucic and Chara. Plus a few others.

This isn't NHL2K9.

Ha ha, Prags..."I resemble that remark."

PS 'my' team's still playing, eh...

Sorry, Prags. Them's the breaks. Wink

And you haven't even dared to touch upon the possibility of Luongo being traded for...for example sending Heatley to Mike Gillis...or any of the other scenarios proposed here.

Easy to sit on the sidelines, friend...but are you ready to 'mix it up in the corners' on this controversial question with our keen and courageous GMHockey crew?

101Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Neely4Life wrote:Hahaha, I love how people are already talking about another goalie and Leclaire hasnt even played a game.... only Ottawa fans, haha.
Luongo is not just another goalie.

102Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Hahaha, I love how people are already talking about another goalie and Leclaire hasnt even played a game.... only Ottawa fans, haha.
Luongo is not just another goalie.

To add to the speculation, and possibility that Luongo may be ready to leave the Canucks...

Roberto's agent Gilles Lupien gave an exclusive interviewed to Yvon Pedneault on Montreal's Corus Sports Radio yesterday. He confirmed that Luongo hasn't decided yet whether or not he wants to sign an extension in Vancouver, and that Roberto has confided he needs 'two or three weeks to think it over'. Luongo's NMC comes into effect July 1st, and he becomes a UFA after next year.

103Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The plot thickens. Seriously, though, would Roberto want to come to Ottawa? There would be a lot of contracts to move. First, and foremost, Heatley has a NTC but, of course, Spezza does not, and they are probably losing the twins, so Vancouver would need a #1 centre. Spezza *is* a #1, whether some people choose to ignore that reality or not. Second, they would absolutely have to move Leclaire, because you can't have a $7M (or whatever he's making) as the #1 and a $3.5M backup. I can see Elliott backing up Luongo, but not Leclaire. That move has ramifications beyond simple cap number crunching. It would rattle any UFA's cage as to whether they would want to come to Ottawa. One of those UFAs would be pending UFA Luongo himself. Then, of course, there's Auld.

So it would have to be Luongo coming this way with Leclaire *and* Auld being moved elsewhere, *plus* Heatley or Spezza. Vancouver would not want to trade $7M contracts *and* take on $3.5M on top of that, which means Leclaire (and Auld) would have to be going elsewhere. So that's at least 2 trading partners, and we all know that three-way trades are hard to swing -- as evidenced by the relative lack of such deals.

At the end of the day, it would not simply be Spezza or Heatley for Luongo, but Spezza or Heatley for the upgrade of Leclaire to Luongo, plus eom cap-relief. Not a slam dunk for the Sens, I'm afraid, and with the extra salary going to Vancouver, far from a slam dunk for them, either.

As a Sens GM I would, personally, not do that deal. If Leclaire is out of the picture it's a different story, and a different discussion, but the way it stands now, I'd have to say no.

As a Canuck GM, I would probably swap Luongo for Spezza because of the need for a #1 centre. Luongo for Heatley? Maybe not so much. Taking on an extra $3.5M for Leclaire, while necessary because they still need a #1 goalie, would be hard to swing. Does Gillis even have enough leash, given what most would perceive as a blown assignment? He spent $5M to upgrade the tem for a half season, and it went nowhere. He would have been better off using that money to upgrade their defense. Before he gave up the 7 goals he stopped Havlat on a clear breakaway, and had many other greate saves. His defense did not step up to the plate.

Assuming they are losing the Sedins, Sundin and Ohlund, they have to get at least 1, preferably 2 top-4 D, at least one top-6 centre and a top-six winger. All while the owners are questioning every move. Gillis is going to have one tough Summer, unless he is let go, which is a distinct possibility.

104Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If you were Luongo, what would you want to do? If he does move, he's gonna want to go to a contender of course. Does he want to be closer to "home" - as in Montreal? His family is in Florida, so I suspect an East Coast move would be in his interests.

So, an East Coast contender that needs a goalie with something to offer Vancouver in trade...

Who fits that bill?

105Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 10:15 am

Philly.

106Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cash wrote:Philly.

Yeah. I'm sure they'd happily dump Brière among others. Good call.

107Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 10:24 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:I can't ever imagine Volchenkov leaving. I love him way too much, I couldn't trade him. He's a warrior through and through, he always wants to win and he never gives up no matter how hurt he is. You don't find players like that every day. He is off the trading table. Off I say!!

so if Bryan Murray trades him, queue the cattle prod torture of that GM eh? I agree with you on all counts, A-Trains don't come along every day, and you miss them when they are gone.

108Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 7 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Thu May 14, 2009 11:59 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From ESPN.com 'INSIDER' today:

Luongo long gone?
Roberto Luongo | Canucks | Interested: Canadiens? Flyers?

After being eliminated in a soul-crushing 7-5 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 6 of their second-round playoff series, media reports are stoking a rumor that the Vancouver Canucks may deal ace netminder Roberto Luongo.

To date, the rumor has been propagated more by fan bitterness at Luongo allowing the 'Hawks to put up a touchdown (and boot the extra point) in an elimination game than team sources.

However, as the Vancouver Sun points out, trading the team's top goalie has merit.

For starters, Luongo is set to make $7.5 million next season, the final year of his contract.

In addition to the possibility of losing him to free agency in 2010, the Canucks would love to have some of that $7.5 million back to re-up the Sedin twins, both free agents after 82-point campaigns this season.

There's also a good market for goalies this offseason, with the Flyers so desperate for a reliable netminder that they're even considering the mercurial Ray Emery, exiled to Europe after getting the axe in Ottawa.

With their fans still seething at the uninspiring performance of their own goalie, the Montreal Canadiens may have interest in a Carey Price for Luongo swap.

With some $30 million in salaries coming off the books, the Habs could easily afford Luongo's hefty price tag.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum