GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo Leaving Vancouver?

+7
PTFlea
Mojo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
shabbs
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

76Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 4:20 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not so much, yeah. Although Bulin's been stellar this year - and might potentially have a few years left.

77Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 4:22 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:What's the rule regarding re-negotiating contracts? I thought the Canucks could only re-negotiate as of January 1st of next year.
After July 1st they can negotiate a contract extension.[/quote]

Oh, in that case, there will be an agreement in place if he's staying. Otherwise, he could be this summer's J-Bo. :*:

78Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I don't want Luongo in Ottawa and I think Vancouver has a lot of work to do, cause I think they've screwed themselves over.

I think they could move Luongo easily and get a nice return for him, if they feel he is not the answer. They have a very capable young goalie with a lot of potential in Schneider, who is only going to go to waste down in Manitoba being #2/3 to Luongo. They either have to give him a chance or move him before it's too late (see Schremp in Edmonton).

Also, the Sedins are not my answer. I would have moved them if the chance was there.

Cody Hodgson should be their #1 center.

79Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 pm

504Heater wrote:Not so much, yeah. Although Bulin's been stellar this year - and might potentially have a few years left.

At the time Dave is talking about, Khabbi was expected to be a backup. Why would we trade Spezza for a backup goalie.

80Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 6:18 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Actually Murray could have gotten Khabibulin for him last September. There was serious dialogue in Chicago about that.

Without a contract extension done, that is a terrible deal for the Sens IMHO.

A Stanley Cup winning goalie with a one year deal at 4.75MM who was a starter at the time...for an underachieving centre with an albatross of a five year 40MM contract.

I can understand your reluctance. cool) ...and of course TGWTM's outrage at the mere suggestion.. Wink

81Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 7:05 pm

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Actually Murray could have gotten Khabibulin for him last September. There was serious dialogue in Chicago about that.

A Stanley Cup winning goalie with a one year deal at 4.75MM who was a starter at the time...for an underachieving centre with an albatross of a five year 40MM contract.

I can understand your reluctance. cool) ...and of course TGWTM's outrage at the mere suggestion.. Wink
Its a ridiculous idea and you know it...
Smile

82Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 pm

504Heater wrote:
shabbs wrote:Who thinks Luongo will start the season without a new contract next year? I don't. They'll need to get something done this summer. Either new extension or tade him. They can't start the season without that issue dealt with.

What's the rule regarding re-negotiating contracts? I thought the Canucks could only re-negotiate as of January 1st of next year.

Thats only for players signing a one year deal. i.e. J.Bo, Kelly.

If we want to re-sign Shannon, then we'd have to wait until Jan. 1...
but Vancouver can re-sign Luongo July 1 (as noted above).

83Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Its a ridiculous idea and you know it...
Smile

I just communicated the information about the discussions...you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

cool)

And this is, after all, totally OTT.

84Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 7:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
504Heater wrote:Not so much, yeah. Although Bulin's been stellar this year - and might potentially have a few years left.

At the time Dave is talking about, Khabbi was expected to be a backup. Why would we trade Spezza for a backup goalie.

Following up on TGTWM's previous linguisitic reference: Hejsan kompis! (I missed you so much!) Jag har saknat dig! (What's new?) Något nytt på gång? (Nothing much), Inte mycket. (Good night!) ... Hej då!

Addressing his opinion--at the time I am talking about, there were cap issues in Chicago and Tallon believed that moving Khabby could be a logical solution, given the term of his contract.

He also discussed loaning Khabibulin to a KHL team, as he was unable to reach a deal with an NHL team.

Khabibulin was never a backup.

Again, this sidebar is not germane to this discussion, but just separating fact from conjecture.

85Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Seven years, $49 million. I don't understand why so many people incorrectly report that contract. I've seen 8 or 9 different figures for it. confused

By the way, under-achieving? :KJK:

Back in September, Spezza was coming off a season where he was 6th in NHL scoring on a pace that would have had him behind only Ovechkin and Malkin.

Bulin was the under-achiever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's $6.75 million, not $4.75 million.

86Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
504Heater wrote:
shabbs wrote:Who thinks Luongo will start the season without a new contract next year? I don't. They'll need to get something done this summer. Either new extension or tade him. They can't start the season without that issue dealt with.

What's the rule regarding re-negotiating contracts? I thought the Canucks could only re-negotiate as of January 1st of next year.

Thats only for players signing a one year deal. i.e. J.Bo, Kelly.

If we want to re-sign Shannon, then we'd have to wait until Jan. 1...
but Vancouver can re-sign Luongo July 1 (as noted above).

I see, thanks for the clarification. I realized there were two dates, now I see why. cool)

87Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:35 pm

davetherave wrote:

Following up on TGTWM's previous linguisitic reference: Hejsan kompis! (I missed you so much!) Jag har saknat dig! (What's new?) Något nytt på gång? (Nothing much), Inte mycket. (Good night!) ... Hej då!

Sverige är ett underbart land...var kommer du ifrån? Kan du prata Svenska?min Svenska är dålig :^^^^:

Last edited by The Guy With The Mustache on Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

88Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

At the time I recall Murray thinking about taking Khabby on waivers, I can't remember specifically why he didn't. Cap room with Khabby's 6.75 million cap hit I guess, but we had close to that. We could have jettisoned one player and made it work. Gerber, that was it, we would have had to waive Gerber at the point I assume. Or, no, now I remember it was going to be taking on Khabby's salary if we could send them Gerber (a saving of over 3 million dollars in cap space), but I assume Tallon balked at taking on the albatross that was Martin Gerber.

I remember wondering why the Avs didn't step up to the plate, then there was talk about the Hawks potentially not wanting to send him to the West where he might come back to bite him in the arse.

It would have been neat if we got him (although at the time I recall thinking he was all used up), but it wasn't Jason Spezza on the line if I recall. Perhaps for Seabrook as well - or Barker and another piece like Byfuglien, but never a Spezza for Khabby swap. That's borderline insanity when Murray's just signed Spezza - and he was coming off a good year - AND he still had until this July to trade him.

Doesn't/didn't really make sense for either team IMHO.

89Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Look for Luongo to Montreal rumours to start up.

90Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Sverige är ett underbart land...var kommer du ifrån? Kan du prata Svenska?min Svenska är dålig :^^^^:

My voluble friend...it's not the language you use...it's the quality of the content.

91Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Seven years, $49 million. I don't understand why so many people incorrectly report that contract. I've seen 8 or 9 different figures for it. confused

By the way, under-achieving? :KJK:

Back in September, Spezza was coming off a season where he was 6th in NHL scoring on a pace that would have had him behind only Ovechkin and Malkin.

Bulin was the under-achiever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's $6.75 million, not $4.75 million.

Whatever.

This is a discussion about Luongo, or isn't it?

92Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:At the time I recall Murray thinking about taking Khabby on waivers, I can't remember specifically why he didn't. Cap room with Khabby's 6.75 million cap hit I guess, but we had close to that. We could have jettisoned one player and made it work. Gerber, that was it, we would have had to waive Gerber at the point I assume. Or, no, now I remember it was going to be taking on Khabby's salary if we could send them Gerber (a saving of over 3 million dollars in cap space), but I assume Tallon balked at taking on the albatross that was Martin Gerber.

I remember wondering why the Avs didn't step up to the plate, then there was talk about the Hawks potentially not wanting to send him to the West where he might come back to bite him in the arse.

It would have been neat if we got him (although at the time I recall thinking he was all used up), but it wasn't Jason Spezza on the line if I recall. Perhaps for Seabrook as well - or Barker and another piece like Byfuglien, but never a Spezza for Khabby swap. That's borderline insanity when Murray's just signed Spezza - and he was coming off a good year - AND he still had until this July to trade him.

Doesn't/didn't really make sense for either team IMHO.

Emphasis on the *doesn't* as well. I'm fine with Leclaire and Elliott and Auld (and Spezza). And Chicago can't afford Spezza's contract long-term.

93Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 6 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:08 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Whatever.

This is a discussion about Luongo, or isn't it?

:^^^^: If you think this one went off-topic, look at the Gerber vs. Blackhawks thread. First names you'll see are Mary Wollstonecraft, William Godwin, Edmund Burke etc.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum